Pink Nose

Daisy

My whippet baby has a white stripe on her face which is pink near her nose, and I am concerned about sunburn/cancer. Are there any sunscreen products specifically for dogs or do you just use human sunblock? Are there any types of sunscreen that are toxic to dogs?

thanks! :)

I have 2 dogs with the same problem, I brought the dog specific one (sunstop) and found it to be really oily and did not stay on for very long and they still got sunburnt red noses by the time I got home from work...... I now just use white zinc the human kind :) and it stays on all day :)

Yep - I've always used white zinc - just be sure the dog isn't going to try to lick it off.

The nice thing about zinc is it stays on for days :) , and you can see when it needs re-applying. Can get a bit dirty though - but I figure that's all adding to the sun-screening. :)

Do be aware that dogs can get Zinc toxicity from human zinc based sunblock. Only a few months ago we had a small dog who died from the condition. Her Zinc level were off the charts - and this was only from one application of Zinc.

I would be very very wary about using it on your dogs. After seeing this case I would never use zinc on my own dogs.