Clippers For Grooming Double Coated Dog

lissy_lu_lu

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice, or suggest where to get some reliable advice, on what products and techniques to use to groom a Bichon Frise?

My girl is nearly 3 and I've always had her professionally done. It looked pretty straight forward so I went out and bought a $300 pair of clippers and they must be faulty as they just won't go through her fur. They are the two speed oster's and she's always clean and brushed before I clip so they should work!

Can anyone suggest perhaps some clippers or advice?

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lissy_lu_lu

The clippers should work but the blades will make all the difference.

The oster normally come with a #10 so which blades did you buy.

For Bichons we normally use the clip on combs or a #3,4 or hand scissor

Welcome to the world of a groomer where everyone thinks our job is easy,now you have learnt it isnt

Firstly the Oster clipper has an outdated design and is rarely used by professional groomers. It lacks power and will run hot. However it should cut your dog using the #10 blade. If it does not then I suggest the blade is blunt. This is not unusual as blades are factory sharpened and a high percentage will be blunt from new.

My suggestion is to sell your clipper on eBay and buy the Wahl KM2 http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....p;productId=585

Yes your dog isn't double coated, it's a non shedding coat/wool

I think your blade is blunt, people mistakenly think that new blades don't require sharpening and they generally do - get the blade sharpened and then see how you go.

what number (determine the length of hair left) blades have you got?

Thanks for so many helpful responses.

I used the no.10 blade and the whole unit (blade and all) was brand new the first time I used it.

Sorry folks, I thought she was double coated AND is non-shedding, anyway, that's neither here nor there :thumbsup:

So the Wahl comes recommended??

as I said people think a brand new blade is sharp and it often isn't - get it sharpened.

however a #10 blade is very short, it's what I would use around the bum and groin of a dog, you'd be better off trimming the body with a # 4

Thanks for so many helpful responses.

I used the no.10 blade and the whole unit (blade and all) was brand new the first time I used it.

Sorry folks, I thought she was double coated AND is non-shedding, anyway, that's neither here nor there :thumbsup:

So the Wahl comes recommended??

Actually I googled and they do have an undercoat!! If you are body clipping, #10 is a bit too close. A #4 or #5 would be better. I use a #4 on my white poodle girl in winter and a #5 in summer.

Edited by poodlefan

you are right PF!

and now I am confuzzled because we (dolers / groomers) always recommend them as non shedding, but if they have a double coat then they shed the undercoat so how are these dogs any better to other shedder dogs for allergies? although I am finding conflicted info if they shed properly.....

I wouldnt clip a Bichon with a #10 unless it was so matted didnt have a choice.

For there coat you will in honestly make it bald as they dont have a thick coat once clipped.

Have to say as a groomer though we get plenty of coats that are knot freed but the coat still dirty & hard to clip.even what some people wash in can make it hard to clip & i find the #10/15 worse for this.

Are you using the #10 adding a plastic combo on the blade?

You say she is brushed, but is she knot free? Can you run a comb through her hair from skin to end of the hair with out snagging?

I love how people think it looks straight forward :noidea:

Having the same tools doesn't make up for a lack of expertise.

I thought Bichons had similar fur/wool to poodles.

Were suggested to me as another breed that don't leave hair about.

nicestmann77 here is an ex-groomer, sells and sharpens blades: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showuser=8666

or http://clipperbladesharpening.webs.com/

Agree that #10 blade will make your dog look bald :noidea:.

Suggest a #4F or #5F for the body (#5 is the shorter one of the 2).

You might use the #10 for base of tail + stomach area.

If it's a clipper problem, no loss in buying the blades as they're compatible Oster-Wahl-Andis.

and now I am confuzzled because we (dolers / groomers) always recommend them as non shedding, but if they have a double coat then they shed the undercoat so how are these dogs any better to other shedder dogs for allergies? although I am finding conflicted info if they shed properly.....

What makes you think that the breed has to shed or is worse for allergies, just because it has a double coat?? :birthday: There are several breeds with double coats which are non-shedding and low allergy as a result!! :)

What makes you think that the breed has to shed or is worse for allergies, just because it has a double coat?? :birthday: There are several breeds with double coats which are non-shedding and low allergy as a result!! :)

Poodle breeder pointed out to me there's no such thing as truly "non-shedding".

Dead fur stays in the coat until brushed out/ combed/ clipped.

Is what causes matting if you don't groom your dog.

Husband is allergic to dog hair, so as long as the fur stays on the dog, not a problem.

Even a little dog hair off the dog is a problem.

Other people are allergic to saliva, dander etc.

Which double coated breeds tend not to shed?

Yes, my dog is completely knot and matt free, I can run a fine toothed comb over her without any snagging whatsoever.

Thanks everyone for the useful information.

As far as expertise goes I am well aware that I have no experience but I do think having the appropriate tools is a good starting point. Besides, everyone is a beginner at one point.

As far as expertise goes I am well aware that I have no experience but I do think having the appropriate tools is a good starting point. Besides, everyone is a beginner at one point.

Very few use the Oster due to the other brands being better.

I would suggest getting someone to show you how to use the tools correctly.

A #10 blade could give a very nasty clipper rash

I agree. I'm wondering if perhaps the blade is not on properly. Even a blunt blade will take something off a washed knot free Bichon. If you are anywhere near me I am happy to have a look for you and give you some tips. :)