Peeing When Excited

jenna

Hey all,

I've had a read through other toileting posts but couldnt find anything so thought i'd ask :noidea:

Alba (Maltese) is 12 weeks old now , she seems to Pee everytime we come home or wake up in the mornings as she gets very excited and its not normailly just in the one spot , she will do a little bit, then run around get more excited then pee some more as she is running etc

I try not work her up. i have tried ignoring her for 5 - 10 min before i let her out?? but she seems to get even more excitied then ,

Is there anywhere way to stop it??

IMHO, it's important to treat this differently from housetraining failures - submissive/excitement urination is not really under the dog's control.

Like any behaviour you don't want, it's important to ignore it - but at the same time, try to avoid setting up the situations when it occurs - so as people have suggested - keep mornings and homecoming extremely low key - take the pup/dog outside as calmly and matter of factly as possible - maybe even not acknowledging the pup straight away but just heading outside - and then making a huge fuss as soon as pup wees outside.

Same thing if pup is a bit scared or overwhelmed - e.g. by visitors - just have people ignore the pup, and calmly take pup outside .....

My puppy used to wee with excitement and joy every morning when I said hello, every evening when I got home and said hello, and every time anyone bent down to say hello to her. She was defnitely not nervous and instead was so excited, just like your dog, and her whole body would wiggle with joy and excitement as she weed!

At shows she'd be all beautifully washed and blow-dried and with her sparkling white coat, and then as we walked to the ring someone would bend down to say what a beautiful puppy she was...and she was SO happy to meet them and SO excited and she'd WEE everywhere! Mad dash to try and sort it out before she was actually due in the ring!

My comment is that we found no way to stop her doing it, but the GOOD NEWS is that now at nearly a year old she hardly EVER wees with excitement anymore. The only times she has done in in the past 3 months is when someone new has come to our house and said hello to her, and very occassionally at shows when she sees her breeder! Never with us anymore - and it's a monthly occurence now, not a many-times-daily one. So - be patient, take precautions (eg new people should meet her outside rather than in the living room) and she will hopefully be through this stage soon!

Hey all,

I've had a read through other toileting posts but couldnt find anything so thought i'd ask :laugh:

Alba (Maltese) is 12 weeks old now , she seems to Pee everytime we come home or wake up in the mornings as she gets very excited and its not normailly just in the one spot , she will do a little bit, then run around get more excited then pee some more as she is running etc

I try not work her up. i have tried ignoring her for 5 - 10 min before i let her out?? but she seems to get even more excitied then ,

Thanks ;)

My puppy used to wee with excitement and joy every morning when I said hello, every evening when I got home and said hello, and every time anyone bent down to say hello to her. She was defnitely not nervous and instead was so excited, just like your dog, and her whole body would wiggle with joy and excitement as she weed!

At shows she'd be all beautifully washed and blow-dried and with her sparkling white coat, and then as we walked to the ring someone would bend down to say what a beautiful puppy she was...and she was SO happy to meet them and SO excited and she'd WEE everywhere! Mad dash to try and sort it out before she was actually due in the ring!

My comment is that we found no way to stop her doing it, but the GOOD NEWS is that now at nearly a year old she hardly EVER wees with excitement anymore. The only times she has done in in the past 3 months is when someone new has come to our house and said hello to her, and very occassionally at shows when she sees her breeder! Never with us anymore - and it's a monthly occurence now, not a many-times-daily one. So - be patient, take precautions (eg new people should meet her outside rather than in the living room) and she will hopefully be through this stage soon!

Hey all,

I've had a read through other toileting posts but couldnt find anything so thought i'd ask :laugh:

Thanks ;)

Hey all,

Thanks ;)

My Miniature Pinscher Pup Clancy doesn't do it at home, but upon his visit to my grandmother, he left a whole lot of mess in her room at the nursing home! :bolt:

Did one while I was in the bathroom, then did another one right in front of her as she brought us our tea after making them and then did one on her bed as I was holding him to take outside to go to toilet before leaving for home!

Left me so embarassed and in utter shock! I ended up apologising to her for his leak everywhere!

I just hope the room doesn't smell :laugh:!

But I think it possibly being overexcited being away from home for a few hours and Clancy was getting on well with my grandmother he wanted lots of cuddles and kisses and there was several visitors from nurses to helpers and caterers saying hello and patting him. So he had a long day and he went to Drouin after the visit to see the town and got so excited as well.