When Is It Ok To Kick A Dog

ncarter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used my leg/feet as a "block". One instance comes to mind is an Afghan puppy who started screaming (as they are prone to doing without justification) in a dog park. Two Staffies came a running and the puppy was picked up and my legs helped to disuade the dogs from jumping up to get the screaming pup. Worked until the owners showed up (the dogs had run away from where they were being supervised) and the dogs brought under control.

BTW in this incident the "blame" belongs to myself and the Afghan puppy. The Staffies were not at fault and neither were the owners, no dog came to harm (I didn't out and out kick a dog) and I even apologised.

Never walking an Afghan puppy in a dog park ever again. It was a close call and should never have happened.

So Czara what are you going to do if the dog is attacking you or your dog? Tell it to go away nicely? Have you ever had a dog attack you or your dog, they dont just stop because you ask when they are intent on causing damage.

Well, I have, multiple times, different dogs, and I didn't need to kick the dog. Like I said before, it didn't even occur to me at the time to try. I'm a hands person. Nothing works faster than literally grabbing a dog by the scruff of the neck and hauling it off. I've seen people kick dogs in a similar situation and I reckon it's nowhere near as effective as grabbing them. Probably safer, but who cares about safety when your dog is in serious trouble? I have also seen people kick dogs once they have them by the scruff of the neck to try to get them to let go of the other dog. It didn't work.

I would like to say it's never okay, but I won't because there will be people that kick in the heat of the moment rather than grab, and I don't think that's wrong. I know from experience, you are not always thinking clearly in these situations.

When is it OK to kick a dog?

To detach it from a dog or a person.. or if it's serious, to prevent it latching on.

Corvus, all I can say is that you either have the reflexes of a super hero or you've never had a dog come on fast and latch on. No way in hell am I putting my hands near the biting end of a dog melee.

Picking a dog up by the scruff of it's neck is going to do sweet FA if your dog is in it's mouth. I've booted a dog hard, it worked and I'd do it again in heartbeat to protect my dogs. As I carried my dog away to the vets, the idiot owner of the offending dog abused me for hurting his dog which ( in his view) was under the perfect control of his 8 year old child.

So I must have imagine it picking my dog up, and shaking its head to toss him to land with a sprained hip. And I imagined it coming back to do more to my other dog?

Do what you have to but keep yourself safe. A booted foot is a lot tougher and can take a lot more abuse than a bare hand. Microsurgery can only do so much. :eek:

Guest belgian.blue

I shoved an off leash dog away from Ivy today with my boot, a few times actually.

We went for a walk along the Swan River and Ivy was on lead as it was on leash only, but the off leash section stupid people had left food scraps around so she stayed on leash.

Well we were in the leash section and saw two dogs far off, hoping they wouldn't come running over .. one little shit did. The owners were calling "fido fido fido" and the dog would not leave us alone. I was pushing him away but nope, he was intent on annoying Ivy.

The owner finally came running over and the dog then took off .. I gave the owner a glaring look and she said sorry.

If a strange dog were to come near Ivy growling/appearing to want to attack and I had strong shoes, I'd kick it. Ivy is extremely voice [my voice] sensative but many dogs aren't.

Picking a dog up by the scruff of it's neck is going to do sweet FA if your dog is in it's mouth.

Kicking it did sweet FA as well. Dog was too big to pick up bodily by the scruff of the neck, but once it was held by the scruff of the neck the brawling stopped, but Penny was still dangling from the other dog's mouth and she wasn't letting go. Then what? Kicking was tried and it didn't work. The only thing that did work was physically prying those jaws apart.

Mind you, the other dog was also ours, so don't know how hard the kicking was. No one wants to hurt their own dog, even in an ugly situation where another dog is in danger. It sounded painful, though. I think if it had not been our own dog the person kicking would have let loose, but nothing short of broken ribs would have done the job. I've seen people try to break up a dog fight by kicking before and it hasn't worked. I guess they don't kick hard enough. I highly doubt I would. I would say if you're gonna kick, make sure you kick as hard as you can and are prepared to deal with broken bones.

Anyway, like I said, for better or for worse feet never occur to me and somehow I haven't been bitten yet. It might if it really was an all out two (or more) sided brawl, but if that were the case I'd have my brain in gear and I'd be grabbing the back legs. I have done that in the past and it worked quite well. You wanna hope there's someone else there that can grab the other dog, though. Or that you have a leash on you. Not for their collar; in front of the back legs.

• 2 weeks later...

I run with my dog and there are always loose dogs rushing at us, some are particularly nasty. I average two loose dogs on a 5km run around our estate. I don't want to find somewhere else to run because it would involve getting in the car and driving there, and I don't have that much time.

I don't kick them - my hubby booted an aggressive rottie as it lunged at our whippet, and injured his foot. I've also got no intention of putting my hands near the head or collar of an aggressive dog, my hands are my livelihood. Injured hands = no income.

So, I carry a stick when I run. Fortunately,I haven't had to use it yet but if an aggressive dog was seriously going to hurt my dogs, he'd be on the ground with concussion. No hesitation. My bad? Maybe. Don't care.

When there were two off lead large breed dogs playing tug of war with my Corgi, I mangaged to kick on one them in the head and it was hard enough to make it bleed.

It would have been stupid to put my hand in amongst it. My kick was hard enough to stop the dogs and let them know I meant business. They had done serious damage to my dog and she spent the next week in the vet having several surgeries.

Kicking this dog was the right thing to do and if any of my dogs were ever attacked again I would do the same thing.

• 4 months later...

I had a guy absolutely lay into my dog this morning with at least 10 good kicks to my dog’s ribs. What should I have done? And what should I do if I see them again, obviously avoidance is key?

Both dogs were off lead at an off lead dog park. His dog starts snarling & growling at first sight, probably 20m. My dog is in front of me & my dog trots over to say hello. At this stage the owner is carrying on, yelling & screaming. Then once my dog realizes that the other dog is being aggressive, my dog runs towards other dog & a scuffle breaks out.

I immediately run over to try & separate the dogs by trying get in between them & to grab my dog’s collar. Neither dog had latched on & it was all growling & rumbling. Whilst I’m focusing on the dogs & trying to separate the 2 by trying to get hold of my dogs collar, the other guy is screaming & swearing hysterically. Then I see out the corner of my eye, the guy furiously kicking my dog as I have hold of my dogs neck. This made me so angry that I turned & pushed the guy & threatened to hit him, if he ever kicked my dog like that again.

By now it’s all over, as I was then able to pull my dog away & separate them.

I agree that if a dog latches on to either another dog or a human & that you are firstly unsuccessful at separating them; that perhaps a kick may be required. But to launch in straight away with the boot & especially when I am in the middle of it trying to get hold of my dog, that I find this reaction 'way' over the top & quite dangerous.

Any advice is appreciated.

BD73:

Both dogs were off lead at an off lead dog park. His dog starts snarling & growling at first sight, probably 20m. My dog is in front of me & my dog trots over to say hello. At this stage the owner is carrying on, yelling & screaming. Then once my dog realizes that the other dog is being aggressive, my dog runs towards other dog & a scuffle breaks out.

What about the other dog's behaviour convinced you that it would welcome your dog "saying hello"? :laugh:

When the other dog started growling, that should have been the sign for you to call your dog away. No way should you have let it approach. Your dog ran to and engaged the other dog. You shouldn't have let that happen.

You've got a Rottie? How big was the other dog?

Edited by poodlefan

BD73:

What about the other dog's behaviour convinced you that it would welcome your dog "saying hello"? :laugh:

When the other dog started growling, that should have been the sign for you to call your dog away. No way should you have let it approach. Your dog ran to and engaged the other dog. You shouldn't have let that happen.

You've got a Rottie? How big was the other dog?

The other dog was a black lab & size wise - pretty close, if that's what you are inferring.

As I said, once I realised the other dog wasn't welcoming I ran after my dog & called it. Bear in mind its an off lead park, so dogs do approach other dogs.

I would use other methods first, such as I yell sharply at the dog to try to shoo it away, I will yell out to the owner, I will try to push it away (eg if I'm carrying an umbrella or use it as a shield)... however, if I thought for one second that a dog posed a threat to Sasha then I would have no hesitation to kick it. I wouldn't kick it hard first go, more of a shove, but if it kept coming then yes I would. And by threat, I don't just mean will attack her - but she has a tendency to try and pull out of her leads when she is scared and if she can get out - will run (and that means on roads etc)... so even if they scare her enough to endanger her and nothing else worked, I would also use a kick.

I had a rather large maltese x poodle bail us up the other day... it came up growling and snarling - I yelled at it NO! and pushed it away with my umbrella. A few days later, it ran out of the same house and was snapping at Sasha's legs and feet no matter which way I turned her or when I tried to push it away. I had to ask the man to come and get his dog, but if he hadn't of done anything, I would have had no hesitation to boot the little bastard. It's a menace.

A friend had two stray dogs attack his labrador puppy and had it pinned at the neck - and he had no choice but to kick them to get them off. He felt awful... but it was the only way he could save his own dog.

Although sometimes, it's not the dog I feel like kicking... it's the idiot owners who are running up behind yelling 'don't worry he/she's friendly' while they come up growling in my dogs face... or the ones that sit back yelling 'wally, come here... naughty boy... come back... WAAAAAAAAALLY' while their dogs take not one bit of notice...

As I said, once I realised the other dog wasn't welcoming I ran after my dog & called it. Bear in mind its an off lead park, so dogs do approach other dogs.

Not if they're under effective voice control they don't. :laugh: Offlead doesn't and shouldn't mean "free for all". But we've been through that debate many times here.

The other dog doesn't sound like an ideal candidate for an offlead park but you should be able to call your dog to you if it's 20m from another dog. If he's prepared to run in and start a fight, you should definitely work on your voice control.

If I am at an offlead park, I would not want strange dogs approaching mine without the owner asking my permission first. Just because I'm there letting my dog have offlead exercise isn't an open invitation for every dog to come and 'say hello' and invade our space.

I think it was an error on your part to assume that the dog and owner wanted to be disturbed. The kicking might have been extreme, but perhaps the owner thought it was his only option to protect his dog in the heat of the moment - I might have even done the same thing. I wouldn't want someone to kick Sasha, however, it would be a learning experience to me to either have better control over her - or don't take her to an offlead park to upset the other users.

But, that's just my opinion.

ETA - SNAP poodlefan :laugh:

Edited by Kelly_Louise

The one that I could never get over and the guy got a serving and a half was when we were at an off-lead park. My girl (a BC) was minding her own business and his lab came over and things turned nasty - his dog decided to go at mine and their owner decided to kick my dog. Never mind the fact it was all noise and I was there and took mine by the collar all within a few seconds with his dog still trying to go mine and him trying to kick mine. Did he cop a serving and a half from me that day.

My view is kicking is never acceptable if you have alternative means to prevent the dog getting close. I would prefer body blocking the approaching dog and yelling to the owners if its for all intensive purposes friendly but mine would rather not interact with it.

Edited by ness

We live in a rural area and it seems like every second property does not bother to lock up their aggressive mongrel dogs. So if we walk in our street, which is rare now for this reason, I always take my trusty and very serious Mag Lite. It will do far more damage to an attacking dog than I could with either kicking or punching and at less risk to me. I think if I was serious, I could crack a skull with it! And believe me, if some rotten dog is getting stuck into one of mine, I wont care what part of it I break to stop it! :o

Our neighbours probably think I'm a bit strange taking a torch on a walk in broad daylight, but I dont care what they think, only about my dogs.

So with all this acreage around us, we prefer to pop the dogs in the car and take them elsewhere to walk them (but the torch comes too :laugh: ). Walks are supposed to be enjoyable for all of us!

What is it with rural people?? I have the same problem here in Tas in my little country town. Dogs are either chained up on tiny bits of chain/rope and never taken for walks or they're allowed to roam free in yards with no fences and do whatever the hell they like. Taking the dogs for a walk round town is like walking through a mine field. I know some of my neighbours never walk their dogs in town and I also tend to drive the dogs to the river a lot of the time. But even then you have to keep a sharp eye out for the other idiots who arrive with a truck load of aggro dogs and let them jump of the back with cries of "don't worry! Just let them sort it out" as their dogs race towards mine.

Fortunately I'm quick enough to get mine in my car before they reach us. And then the other person looks at me like I'm the idiot!!! I believe they think my dogs are being treated too softly and are therefore "whimps" - which is true of Pepper but wasn't true of my other two when they were around. I just don't want a dog fight!!!

If I am at an offlead park, I would not want strange dogs approaching mine without the owner asking my permission first. Just because I'm there letting my dog have offlead exercise isn't an open invitation for every dog to come and 'say hello' and invade our space.

I think it was an error on your part to assume that the dog and owner wanted to be disturbed. The kicking might have been extreme, but perhaps the owner thought it was his only option to protect his dog in the heat of the moment - I might have even done the same thing. I wouldn't want someone to kick Sasha, however, it would be a learning experience to me to either have better control over her - or don't take her to an offlead park to upset the other users.

But, that's just my opinion.

ETA - SNAP poodlefan :laugh:

While I agree with poodlefan and KL, I also think screaming and carrying on and then kicking in that situation, as the other person did, is a HUGE mistake. It tends to up the aggression in the dogs and both dogs learn that other dogs are "scarey" and you have to get aggressive. Both owners calmly grabbing their dogs and using voice control to calm them down would have been a far more positive and constructive response.

On the other hand, if the aggression was too dangerous and out of control I have no problem with kicking if nothing else works. I had to deal with 2 ferocious kelpies who were staying up the road with an idiot owner who thought it was funny for them to attack other dogs. It caused me to start carrying a large stick for the first time in my life - and I was prepared to use it. My only fear was that the kelpies would respond by attacking ME but I couldn't think what else to do - especially as their owner was trying to encourage them to jump MY fence and go for my dogs.

Thank god he moved away just as I was about to call the council!!!

I have kicked a Border Collie who had attached itself to my Cavalier.

It was being walked on the street, off lead, and ran across a busy road to get to us :laugh:

The owner was calling and of course it wasn't going back to her. She then says to me that the dog only takes notice of her husband :D

I said if i ever saw the dog off the lead again, I would report her.....she lives across the road to me!

Now whenever they see me they put it on a lead and avoid looking at me. Even the kids know.

Apparently it attacked another dog on the oval last week...once again off lead in an on lead area. She didn't want to walk another 100 metres to the area for dogs. I didn't see it or I would have reported her. I told the others that they had to report but they didn't want to cause trouble :o She is a real bully and has caused a lot of trouble in our friendly street

I wonder what happens when it hurts a child. :D