When Is It Ok To Kick A Dog

ncarter

this is a subject close to my heart as last year when in a beginners agility class a fellow classmate kicked my young GSP (13mths old at the time) in the side of his chest when we were less than 1m away from him and when he was in the process of recalling to us (thus why it got him in the side of the chest rather than the front) ....

In that situation it was uncalled for and in my view (and in the view of others who were there that night) horrific..... but if a dog was attacking myself or my dog and it was the only option I had available I would use it ....

Edited by FionaC

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a shocking experience at a dog park with an old man and his Malamute. It kept rushing at one of our dogs, biting, snarling, he wasn't coming to get it so OH kicked it.

We would never kick our dogs and we both looove animals, but if a dog is attacking my dog and the owner is not doing anything about it then yeah, I'd kick it.

Edited by Aussie3

Some of this depends on how you kick. If you don't swing and thus don't deliver with force, I don't see that foot taps or shoves are a problem. I tap my dogs lightly, or give them a shove, with my foot when they are standing in the doorway and I have something in my hands. They react to a foot the same way they react to a hand. (Duh! are you trying to tell me something, ok if you insist I'll move my butt).

I have kicked a Border Collie who had attached itself to my Cavalier.

It was being walked on the street, off lead, and ran across a busy road to get to us :)

The owner was calling and of course it wasn't going back to her. She then says to me that the dog only takes notice of her husband :)

I said if i ever saw the dog off the lead again, I would report her.....she lives across the road to me!

Now whenever they see me they put it on a lead and avoid looking at me. Even the kids know.

Apparently it attacked another dog on the oval last week...once again off lead in an on lead area. She didn't want to walk another 100 metres to the area for dogs. I didn't see it or I would have reported her. I told the others that they had to report but they didn't want to cause trouble :laugh: She is a real bully and has caused a lot of trouble in our friendly street

I wonder what happens when it hurts a child. :rofl:

Once again, Dog Agressive does not equal Human Agressive.

It was being walked on the street, off lead, and ran across a busy road to get to us :)

The owner was calling and of course it wasn't going back to her. She then says to me that the dog only takes notice of her husband :)

I said if i ever saw the dog off the lead again, I would report her.....she lives across the road to me!

Now whenever they see me they put it on a lead and avoid looking at me. Even the kids know.

Apparently it attacked another dog on the oval last week...once again off lead in an on lead area. She didn't want to walk another 100 metres to the area for dogs. I didn't see it or I would have reported her. I told the others that they had to report but they didn't want to cause trouble :laugh: She is a real bully and has caused a lot of trouble in our friendly street

I wonder what happens when it hurts a child. :rofl:

I find people tend to say this common phrase to try and get their point across...some sort of shock value, shame it's terribly uneducated.

Can show a very sweet photo of my dog agro dog with a child cuddled up to him fast asleep.

Stray dogs are a fact of life, most will go away if you intimidate them, but some will not.

I let dogs with friendly body language come close if they are interested, otherwise, I scare them away from afar. Deep, angry, loud voice, aggressively snapping out the lower arm and pointing away, ect. This kind of thing usually works, but when it doesnt you have to use force.

The other month 3 little guys ran out of thier house and tried to attack my dog. They ran straight for us growling and going mad, I cleared them all with kicks, not alot else I could do. JRT's have got spring loaded back legs, had I picked her up they probably would have jumped up and be hanging off her backside, its happened before.

I was wondering if someone could advise, for some reason in the last two days my dog has decided to start fighting. She is 11 years old and has never had a fight before in her life, she has always just watched the other dogs and people walking past and didn't even display the slightest bit of interest in them.

We visited friends on Sat night and after about 3 hours of being around the other dog she all of a sudden decided to run over to the other dog and start fighting, admittedly they were eating bones but she had two bones directly in front of her and was eating them and the other dog was not the least little bit interested in her bones. I don't think that there was any teeth but certainly a lot of growling and fighting noises. Then last night she went for a drive with me and when we got home I let her out of the car, she had a bit of a sniff around the grass while I locked up the car then unfortunately some people where walking their two dogs past our house, she growled then went running down to them like she was going to fight them, I yelled at her with a very gruff voice and she did come back but certainly scared the poor people. I certainly blame myself as I saw the people walking down the street but thought they walked into a house but unfortuantely they were walking right past us as I let her out.

My question is WHY has she decided all of a sudden to start fighting??

Thanks

Tracey

Well the first incident sounds pretty clear, it was the bones. Doesnt always matter if the other dog doesnt show an interest in the bones, some dogs will still become aggressive, she may be "paranoid" for lack of a better term, or she may not be used to being fed near another dog. The two number one ways to cause two dogs to fight, 2 males + 1 inseason bitch, or, feed them together.

Sometimes a single situation like that is all it takes to start the beginings of a change in the dogs tempermant, because thier first experience with dog agression (even at an advance age) turns out to be successful (she dominated the dog, then she went back to her feed) and so now she recalls that she achieved her means via aggression.

It was being walked on the street, off lead, and ran across a busy road to get to us :laugh:

The owner was calling and of course it wasn't going back to her. She then says to me that the dog only takes notice of her husband :D

Apparently it attacked another dog on the oval last week...once again off lead in an on lead area. She didn't want to walk another 100 metres to the area for dogs. I didn't see it or I would have reported her. I told the others that they had to report but they didn't want to cause trouble ;) She is a real bully and has caused a lot of trouble in our friendly street

I wonder what happens when it hurts a child. ;)

I find people tend to say this common phrase to try and get their point across...some sort of shock value, shame it's terribly uneducated.

Can show a very sweet photo of my dog agro dog with a child cuddled up to him fast asleep.

I must be having a slow night but I don't understand the bolded statement

I'm very late coming in to this topic, but when my 30kg ACD x was attacked without warning by a big black Dane (presumably a cross, given it's massive brick-like head) I made a conscious decision not to kick the other dog. I didn't want to lose my leg.

But in that situation, the owners had seen their dog run across the road and grab my dog by the neck. I swore profusely at the dog, owner and his son, one of whom started punching their dog in the head (I didn't give a toss if THEY got hurt), and the other kicking and punching it in the ribs. It just bit down harder and continued shaking Jack. Until the owner prised the dog's jaws open (!!!) while the son pulled their dog off mine by the hind legs.

That dog is no longer with us. And I no longer walk my dog down their street. In fact, I haven't even walked my dog by myself since then, and this all happened before Christmas.

Just because a dog attacks other dogs does not mean it will attack humans. This is why if owners get between an oncoming agressive dog and their own and break its concetration on their dog they will usually drive the oncoming dog away. My dog was approached by two iffkead dogs once and I got in front of her and told them to git outta it and as soon I broke their stare on her they turned and backed off then ran of to where I guess the owner was.

I have only come across one human agressive dog and he rushed to the middle of the road as his friend circled around but kept a few metres behind us - I told it to git (really long giiiiiittttttt til we were clear) it eyeballed me and held my gaze and stood in the middle of the road and growled back. I kept going along the path at the same pace as when it and its mate rushed out and once we had gone out of what it considered its 'territory' it went back inside its yard. Did not look at my dog at all it looked at me (was only later when I thought about it worked out it paid no attention to my dog).

Edited by rubiton

Just because a dog attacks other dogs does not mean it will attack humans. This is why if owners get between an oncoming agressive dog and their own and break its concetration on their dog they will usually drive the oncoming dog away.

And 'usually' does not mean 'always'.

This dog would have weighed 60kg on a skinny day, and it came from behind and went straight for Jack's neck. I didn't get the chance to come between it and my dog.

Just because a dog attacks other dogs does not mean it will attack humans. This is why if owners get between an oncoming agressive dog and their own and break its concetration on their dog they will usually drive the oncoming dog away.

And 'usually' does not mean 'always'.

This dog would have weighed 60kg on a skinny day, and it came from behind and went straight for Jack's neck. I didn't get the chance to come between it and my dog.

Think you got a response in while I was typing mooper - I was responsing to the question about not understanding the difference between dog aggressive and human aggressive.

In your situation would have been hard to react either way