Litters Due In December 2009

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all the beautiful babies born :nahnah:

I had an xray done on Scarlet today and was gobsmacked when the xray only showed 4 big pups :o

she must be so full of fluid

the good news is that she should be able to have them herself :laugh:

Leanne

:D only 4, are they sure they didn't miss any????

hope everything goes well, especially if they are big bubbas..

dark bloody and next thing ya know, in for an early c-section today. Two born doa, two born alive, we couldn't wait another day to let the pups mature, the remaining two showed signs of distress.

So all in all, we salvaged two beautiful pups and they seem to be doing just fine. Mom isn't too crazy about them but submits to me to let them nurse.

One girl, 11 oz and one big, huge@ss brother, 1 pound, 7 ounces! :nahnah: no way Xia would have been able to get that boy out.

Necropsy will be performed on one of the doa pups, no sign of infection in the bitch...

Sorry to hear about the 2 that didnt make it and congrats on the other two.

Unfortunately for us the good whelping fairy did not make it back from Kelpiesrule place in time. Water broke sometime this arvo.....and have had nothing since.

Decided to get her to the emergency vets. Ultrasound showed one pup slowly going into distress.

Had to make the call. We could go home, knowing we'd probably lose one, and maybe others if she failed to progress....or go in and hopefully save the one in distress.

So I am sitting here feeling rather sick to the stomach and stressed big time, waiting for the vet to call us.

Plus whilst I was in there someone came in with a greyhound to be PTS. It had a towel around its throat covered in blood.

:laugh:

Thanks Hesa.

okay.......just had the call.

Puppies are here !!

We made the right call - turns out that a big boy was blocking the way and not only was he out of the bag, the placenta had come away as well. There was no way she was going to deliver the pups and if we had come home, we would of lost him for sure.

But ultrasound was wrong. The count was more, so looks like she has also absorbed a couple as well. *sigh*

Anyway looks like we have 6 new babies. 3 boys and 3 girls. Dont know what colours we have yet either.

We go to pick them up about 12.30 am.

Just wanted to add..........almost same thing that happened with her mothers first litter as well.

She had one pup, and the 2nd one tried to come out all 4 feet first, so she had an emergency c-section too.

And it was a big boy as well that was the problem child then too.

*sigh*

This breeding thing just never gets any easier :nahnah:

Back from vets and just been getting everyone to feed and warm up a bit.

We have 4 blacks - 2 girls, 2 boys and 2 chocs - 1 girl, 1 boy

Weight ranges 313 for the little black girl to 479 for the choc girl. And the chocs certainly have the hang of the milk bar already.

So now I'm ready for the long night ahead.

Their mum is finally having a sleep, so hoping she doesnt wake up and freak at these little wigglers.

I have taken a few photos, but didnt fuss too much as to not disturb mum too much.

Will post some when I can get a better photo and everyone is fine and rested.

Congratulations on your 6 pups MM. Hope they are doing well! You just never know what can go wrong, can you? I don't know whether reading these things helps me or makes me more anxious. My girl is due on Saturday, has been nesting through the night and this morning, but seems ok. I am about to take her temp soon. Also some of my other dogs came inside for a visit and she wasn't impressed, which is a change, so looks like she is definitely preparing, keeping everyone but my older girl, who she loved out!

Ozstar, by the photo I would have thought Scarlet had many more than 4, so good luck with your whelping, especially if they are large puppies. My girl is huge, but going by your experience maybe she doesn't have heaps. I am hoping for 8, no more, as I had a litter of 11 once and it was a lot more work, especially as they get older, all the cleaning!!!!!

Edited by shellbyville

Ozstar, by the photo I would have thought Scarlet had many more than 4, so good luck with your whelping, especially if they are large puppies. My girl is huge, but going by your experience maybe she doesn't have heaps. I am hoping for 8, no more, as I had a litter of 11 once and it was a lot more work, especially as they get older, all the cleaning!!!!!

I was hoping for 6 pups. The pups heads measured 3cm to 3 1/2cm and her pelvis is 4 1/2cm so hopefully she will not have any problems.

Scarlets temp is down to 36.8 so should know soon if she is hiding anymore :)

At the moment she is sleeping, looks like it may be a very long night :rofl:

Leanne

That is sounding promising Ozstar - all the best with it...

I think my girl is one of this girls who goes against most things stated in books, articles and other breeders - I know all girls are different and none read true to text books.... so I guess I just have to be prepared for anything...

I have had up and down temps for the past 4 days!

She has been seeking dark places, and rearranging her box - but other then that looks happy and well.

stopped eating, is back to eating then stop eating and back to eating :)

We noticed some dark brown stains yesterday in her bed - but nothing on her - then again in the afternoon - this time fresh and was not as dark as first though as the first ones were dry and may have dried darker!

We took her to the vet in any case and the vet seemed very happy with her, examined her and feels she is well on the way - cervix and surrounding is getting softer (this is what she said??) - she felt any time last night or in the morning - but because we took her to the vet we may have delayed it a little vet said to be prepared for this and if nothing starts happening in the next 2 days to bring her up again....

still nothing happening - she is just resting again today??

First litter and getting quite anxious! due date is anywhere between tomorrow - with a window period of a week - so if it was just that I would not be concerned - the discharge has certainly thrown me off!!!

Pups are moving around pretty well - lots of little action going on in there - so that puts my mind at ease for now :rofl:

Congratulations MM on your litter - thank goodness you made the right call - all the best with your pups and mum!

look forward to some pics soon.

Congrats again to KR on your litter too!

And lastly to Lynai - sorry that you lost 2 ;)

Geeze we are seeing a trend with chocolate! anyone would think it was the month of easter not christmas!

jess.

Back from vets and just been getting everyone to feed and warm up a bit.

We have 4 blacks - 2 girls, 2 boys and 2 chocs - 1 girl, 1 boy

Weight ranges 313 for the little black girl to 479 for the choc girl. And the chocs certainly have the hang of the milk bar already.

So now I'm ready for the long night ahead.

Their mum is finally having a sleep, so hoping she doesnt wake up and freak at these little wigglers.

I have taken a few photos, but didnt fuss too much as to not disturb mum too much.

Will post some when I can get a better photo and everyone is fine and rested.

Congrats MM ! Sorry the whelping fairy didnt make it back in time... looks like ur girl had the same result as mine with with the colours switched !! Good luck with everything, sounds like u made the right call. I was so worried with Phoenix waiting for the first pup to come... the first one is always the hardest, I relax after that.