Demodex

ruffedge

Hi all,

I have started my 17 week old pup on Advocate for Localised Demodex and was wanting to know of any remedies for the hair regrowth please.Apparently this is the longest pert of recovery as the hair folicals die and it takes a while for the hair regrowth.Thanks to all. :rofl:

Hi all,

I have started my 17 week old pup on Advocate for Localised Demodex and was wanting to know of any remedies for the hair regrowth please.Apparently this is the longest pert of recovery as the hair folicals die and it takes a while for the hair regrowth.Thanks to all. :rofl:

My boy's hair grew back quite quickly (within 2 weeks you could see a big difference. I guess it depends on how affected he already is.

I washed my boy in Pyohex once a week and "Aloveen Oatmeal Conditioner" as a soothing agent on his skin afterwards and I think these helped alot.

We too have a case of localised demodex on the eyebrow of our 9 month old GSP and are also using Advocate at 3 week intervals (just applied 2nd dose). It appears to have improved however we are also having problems getting the hair to grow back. The area is no longer raw and irritated but it is still a little puffy and hairless.

Would applying honey (Jarrah as we are in WA) - as an anti-inflammatory - help to bring some of the swelling down? I haven't been using honey or anything else, just when it was raw bathing in warm salty water as advised by our vet.

I should probably be a little more patient as the vet was very confident that it would clear it up on its own however anything that can speed things along would be good.

My girl had localized demodex on the side of her nose a few months ago, a scraping found only one mite but I applied properly-diluted Demadex wash to the area once a week as well as sponging the solution over her neck and legs and applying it carefully on the rest of her nose.

After 3 treatments (3 weeks) the hair had grown back HEAPS so I didn't keep applying it for the further 2 weeks (very potent stuff).

I had also added Vitamin E to her diet and treated her with Advocate, so now sure which one helped or whether it went away on it's own.

Either way it was a GREAT sight noticing it disappearing and the hairs growing back :rainbowbridge::cry:

Rubbing vitamin e cream into the area probably won't make the hair grow any faster, but it could help keep the skin in good condition and this may help recovery.

I was giving her 500IU daily in her food (putting a hole in the capsules and squirting the liquid on her kibble)

Probably made no difference but made me feel better :rainbowbridge:

Rubbing vitamin e cream into the area probably won't make the hair grow any faster, but it could help keep the skin in good condition and this may help recovery.

I was giving her 500IU daily in her food (putting a hole in the capsules and squirting the liquid on her kibble)

Probably made no difference but made me feel better :rainbowbridge:

Applied to the skin after a major hotspot kept the scarred skin very soft and hair grew back just about overnight. Different sceanario to demodex of course :cry:

• 5 months later...

I've just been to the vets as our 8month old has some hairless patches on him, I was told it in all likelihood it is Demodex and that a skin scrapping will confirm it. He has been started on these injections for it (he has several patches and they have got worse).

We live in a remote and very hot area and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on helping him along...?

He has grown a lot and is a big pup, and the vet said his immune system may be low, which doesn't help as he'll be in the the kennels for a few days next week..

You may want to read about our generalised demodex mange boy Frankie. DOL Forum Thread His photo sequence can be found on our Facebook Page

Basically we have let the body do the work from the inside out and have only used Malaseb shampoo twice a week externally. The skin and hair follicles need to be open and able to breath. Kill the mites, get rid of any infection, boost the immune system and the hair will start to regrow. Once it does it will be at an amazing rate. Frankie had no hair on his face and head one week and literally 7 to 10 days later had a fine fuzz.

Internally Frankie has been taking the medications moxidectine and rilexine. His diet has been totally raw with flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil and green tea added to it.

Edited by puggy_puggy

You may want to read about our generalised demodex mange boy Frankie. DOL Forum Thread His photo sequence can be found on our Facebook Page

Basically we have let the body do the work from the inside out and have only used Malaseb shampoo twice a week externally. The skin and hair follicles need to be open and able to breath. Kill the mites, get rid of any infection, boost the immune system and the hair will start to regrow. Once it does it will be at an amazing rate. Frankie had no hair on his face and head one week and literally 7 to 10 days later had a fine fuzz.

Internally Frankie has been taking the medications moxidectine and rilexine. His diet has been totally raw with flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil and green tea added to it.

Thanks, a lot of helpful info their. I'll let you know how he goes.