Sardines In Oil

TYLER23

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but our pup has softer and sometimes runny poos on the days he gets sardines (in springwater). He absolutely loves them, so should we persist given the health benefits or look at alternatives?

Will other tinned fish such as mackeral be likely to cause softer poos as well? should we be looking at omega 3 supplements?

I think before we give hopefully helpful comments,what else are you feeding? How old is your pup?

Also are you up to date with worming?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but our pup has softer and sometimes runny poos on the days he gets sardines (in springwater). He absolutely loves them, so should we persist given the health benefits or look at alternatives?

Will other tinned fish such as mackeral be likely to cause softer poos as well? should we be looking at omega 3 supplements?

I think before we give hopefully helpful comments,what else are you feeding? How old is your pup?

Pup is 4 months old, kibble in the mornings and a variety of rmb in the evenings. He also gets raw egg, yoghurt and vegies. Yes, worming is up to date.

Edited by TYLER23

I feed them in oil but a whole tin of mackeral or sardines is divided between the dogs, several times a week.

If you are just feeding one dog and want to introduce sardines or mackeral to them, tip the contents of the can in a plastic container that seals tight, mash it with a fork to distribute the oil evenly through the fish and use a couple of teaspoons at a time. It keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.

Pup is 4 months old, kibble in the mornings and a variety of rmb in the evenings. He also gets raw egg, yoghurt and vegies. Yes, worming is up to date.

On the days when he is getting the RMB's etc at night and no sardines,do you have any loose stool issues...? Just a thought,many dogs do well with dry AND raw at the same meal,meals apart etc. But you must remember that the ph needed in the stomach is different for both. One needing very acidic -raw and one not needing the stomach to be AS acidic,kibble and veggies will alkalinise the gut. So it could just be that his tummy is not able to cope with the sardines AND an egg if indeed you are combining those 2?

Other thing I forgot is how is his coat,I mean if it's not dry he is most likely getting enough Omega 3 anyway.

On the days when he is getting the RMB's etc at night and no sardines,do you have any loose stool issues...? Just a thought,many dogs do well with dry AND raw at the same meal,meals apart etc. But you must remember that the ph needed in the stomach is different for both. One needing very acidic -raw and one not needing the stomach to be AS acidic,kibble and veggies will alkalinise the gut. So it could just be that his tummy is not able to cope with the sardines AND an egg if indeed you are combining those 2?

Other thing I forgot is how is his coat,I mean if it's not dry he is most likely getting enough Omega 3 anyway.

The yoghurt goes on his kibble a couple of times a week, and the vegies, egg and sardines are all on separate days. His coat is nice and shiny, and no runny poos on other days.