Muzzles

My dog has some dog agression issues with smaller dogs which I thought I was handling until recently. I have booked her in for a session with a behaviourist however its not for a litle while yet. I decided to buy a muzzle for her with great reluctance but for the safety of the other dogs and to prevent her possibly ever being labeled dangerous I decided that it was the safest option until I get professional advice. I put it on her for the first time and she hates it. I feel like such a bad owner for having to do this. Will she get used to the muzzle?

Please don't flame me as I alread feel terrible that things have reached this point, Right now I'm just trying to do the responsible and right thing for both her and any other dogs around.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Once or twice.

Does your dog like to play with balls? Some dogs take to "muzzle soccer" very quickly, if they like playing this then every day take your dog out for a game of muzzle soccer so that putting on the muzzle comes to predict something fun is about to happen. Or go for a walk, whatever you do, make putting on the muzzle predict that something fun will happen next.

what type of muzzle is it? Dont use those nylon or highly restrictive ones try and get a basket type muzzle that is quite light any vet clinic should be able to get it for you

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=WDVW&rd=1

meantime I put some nice food like kabana in there and let the dog eat out of it, then clip in on while it's full of tasty treats.

stop feeling bad and stressed for the dog it's only a muzzle and she will get over it. My own dog wears one in the car as she is terrible destructive and she doesnt care. If you stress, she will stress. A little tough love can help a dog especially with aggression issues.

My own dog wears one in the car as she is terrible destructive and she doesnt care

My own dog wears one at the vet as she is terribly destructive and she doesn't care :( (Actually that's not really true, but the vet feels better at least)

Its a basket metal one, supposed to be for working dogs. I figured she was more likely to be able to breathe normally in one of these. Thanks for the support everyone. I just needed to offload a bit. Its all a bit of a new experience for me.

Hamlet wears a muzzle when I'm worried he will scrounge stuff ... he has a plastic basket one .

if YOU treat putting the muzzle on as an everyday occurrence, same as putting on the collar and lead- your dog will soon see it the same way.

if you hesitate, and apologise...... she will feel that it is a bad thing .

My brother has one working dog who needs to be muzzled around young sheep- he gets impatient :(

he learnt VERY quickly that work came after he put his 'helmet' on- so now comes eagerly when we say " C'mon leo, put the helmet on" :laugh:

Its a basket metal one, supposed to be for working dogs. I figured she was more likely to be able to breathe normally in one of these. Thanks for the support everyone. I just needed to offload a bit. Its all a bit of a new experience for me.

I use one like that, I have even cut some of the wire away and filed it back smoothly so that I can give treats really quickly. Teach her that she can drink while wearing it, too.

:) slightly...

I have to walk my dog on a 'Halti' headcollar sometimes because she goes INSANE on walks and pulls my am off (hard to believe she heels so well in obedience!), and I'm so sick of people asking why she is muzzled!!! argh!!! Its not a muzzle!

But sorry I have no idea how to stop your dog hating the muzzle. I'm trying to stop mine hating the halti :rofl:

But sorry I have no idea how to stop your dog hating the muzzle. I'm trying to stop mine hating the halti :)

I think some of the advice above will help with this. I've personally never had any trouble introducing a dog to a head collar, but there do seem to be some dogs who just don't like them. One important rule is to make the collar bit (not the nose loop) very tight, Gentle Leader suggest that you should be able to get just one finger underneath. If it isn't tight enough, the whole collar moves and is very uncomfortable and much less effective.

the working muzzle u are thinking of are call german basket muzzle they are made out of leather and are designed to not come off at all cost due to the training they are used in

FDTM1muzzle1.jpg

were as the wire basket muzzle has a grill like the grey hound ones but are attach to the collar or have ther own collar system

Basket-Wire-Dog-Muzzle-German-shepherd_LRG.JPG

most vets or pet shop have them at a reasonbul cost

were as the german muzzle are very very very expensive

but with training use nice food like other have said and start with slipping it on then of briefly

then the next session make it say a minute when u have done 10 if u have a slip up distract the dog with some thing fun

then have another go or try again later that day

when u leave it on longer you can do obd with it on to help take the dogs mind of it

some dog take to them easy some dont as long as u build them up and take the negitive aspect of it away it will be fine

Edited by cramet

.... make the collar bit (not the nose loop) very tight, Gentle Leader suggest that you should be able to get just one finger underneath. If it isn't tight enough, the whole collar moves and is very uncomfortable and much less effective.

Unfortunately with some different head/neck sizes, if you fit the GL to specification it can have the affect of bringing the metal double-D ring in and down too close to the dog's trachea, so you have to watch that. But yes - any compromise that you might make for one (good) reason is going to have a 'down-side' compromise. Eg. Loosening the neck strap for the sake of the trachea is going to have the affect of the head collar slipping through use and that can result in the nose strap coming up towards and into the eye.

The Halti and the Black Dog Wear (standard) head collars are designed to fit firm/snug.

Sorry - this is in response to the :rofl: side-shoot mention to head collars which are NOT to be confused with muzzles.

Edited by Erny

My first dog had to be muzzled out on walks, not because he was nasty but because he was so cute. He was an abused dog but as a Lakeland terrier, he was just like a teddy bear and people would rush up to him and stick their face close to his - in spite of us asking not to but sometimes it was so sudden. He never bit anyone whilst out on a walk but he had bitten the gas meter man (who we asked not to touch him but did so anyway).

We never took any more chances after that as he could have been put to sleep because of it.

He soon got used to it and although we would have preferred not to have to do it, we did not want to lose our dog permanently.

You are doing what you MUST do, it's not really a choice.

As the owner of small dogs, if someone's dog injured or killed one of mine, I'd see them in court as I would want their dog euthanased - being declared dangerous wouldn't be enough for me.

Far too many people think small dogs don't count ...

I think what you are doing is great. You are a really responsible person, and as an owner of small dogs that have been attacked I really appreciate when someone is doing something positive (usually if they are muzzled you know the owners are aware of the problem).

I have muzzled one of my own small dogs because she went through a stage of barking hysterically and nipped a couple of friendly bigger dogs. She hated the muzzle (they are not designed very well for small, long nosed dogs) but got used to it. And you know, people were still coming up for a pat even with a muzzle on! Once the behaviour got better I moved her into a gentle leader head harness.

I use a muzzle on my kelpie when working small flocks of sheep. He tends to get a little nippy when working anything less than say 6 sheep (for some reason :laugh:). He does much better with a large mob. Nothing wrong with a muzzle at all, in fact I call it a piece of comforting "insurance".

I use muzzles, Atlas when at the vet or getting nails cut or anything with his feet, and Kaos depends on what we are doing - she is very dog aggressive, when i am going places i usually take it with me, so if there are other dogs around, i put it on her. But she is getting MUCH MUCH better with other dogs now :laugh:

Well after a few walks she seems to be getting used to it. I did have to attach it to her collar though as if I do it up so that she can't get out of it, she also can't breath. (She is a great wiggler) This seems to have fixed that. She only tried to get it off in a serious manner once today, so a great improvement. I keep on getting the oddest looks now, but what I also find great is that people are finaly asking me whether its ok to approach and generally putting their dogs on leash when we come past. Thanks for all the support everyone.

My dog has some dog agression issues with smaller dogs which I thought I was handling until recently. I have booked her in for a session with a behaviourist however its not for a litle while yet. I decided to buy a muzzle for her with great reluctance but for the safety of the other dogs and to prevent her possibly ever being labeled dangerous I decided that it was the safest option until I get professional advice. I put it on her for the first time and she hates it. I feel like such a bad owner for having to do this. Will she get used to the muzzle?

Please don't flame me as I alread feel terrible that things have reached this point, Right now I'm just trying to do the responsible and right thing for both her and any other dogs around.

Has anyone else had to do this?

I was thinking Blueygirl, why not perhaps just keep her on the leash and restrained until the aggression has been resolved?

I was thinking Blueygirl, why not perhaps just keep her on the leash and restrained until the aggression has been resolved?

I suppose you need to think about the chance of an off-leash small dog approaching Blueygirl's leashed dog.

I think you are doing the right thing Blueygirl - you are being a responsible dog owner and preventing your dog from causing any harm to other dogs.