Night Terrors/psychological Trauma

Hi everyone, I have a 17 month old spaniel/poodle (spoodle) that I've had since she was 12 weeks.

When I first got her she was in terrible condition - malnourished, flea bitten, extremely underweight (1.1kg) and very shy. She is the first dog I've ever owned and I learnt a hard lesson about backyard breeders.

She's had a few minor ongoing health problems, mainly dental - her top adult teeth began to grow almost horizontally out and she had them reset and aligned. Now they're 'gappy' but have straightened out. She's a healthy 4.3kg now and most placid friendly dog.

She is the happiest, funniest, most gorgeous little girl but since she began sleeping on 'the big bed' I have noticed every night she has night terrors. She will literally roll around on the bed whimpering and shaking until I cuddle her and gently wake her. Since she used to sleep in a different room I didn't notice it before but I assume it's been happening all the time.

I know there is nothing in her life now that would give her nightmares since she's the most spoiled loved pooch around.. So I'm sure it's a long term effect of mistreatment as a pup.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or do you have any advice? It breaks my heart nearly every night because I don't know what to do except cuddle her.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I have had 3 day old puppies thrashing legs and even growling in their sleep. At this age, their eyes and ears are not open.

They have had no life experience, apart from being born, sucking on mum and being warm, so are not reacting to memories. I waste(???) a lot of time just watching puppies, especially for their first week, and see this time and time again.

When I sleep-walk, I have no memory of it, unless I hurt myself and wake up. I don't remember any dream or nightmare that has caused me to sleep-walk.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about your dog's night terrors(?) or read too much into it.

Edited by Clankaree

Both our indoor dogs have nightmares and have always lead a happy, healthy life, again I do the same as you, gently wake them..they look at me or OH as if tosay "What??"

Theres not much else you can do, pehaps BACH rescue remedy before bed if youa re really worried. Sounds like she is in GREAT hands :laugh:

PS (stick to the spaniel/poodle name here :laugh: )

Sounds more like dreaming that night terrors. One of my dogs has night terrors - I don't notice the dreaming part, but he will sudden wake up and growl/attack anything near him in defense. He only does this for a split second and then looks confused. He has improved over the years, in fact I can't remember the last time he had one.

Doesn't really sound like nightmares from that description......have you owned a dog before? They will often dream for quite long periods, vocalising, trembling, twitching...all very normal!

I have known dogs with nightmares, and they really react!

I would advise NOT waking her... this may interrupt an important part of the sleep cycle...

If it disturbs you, then put her alongside your bed to sleep- that way she can be nearby, but not waking you as easily. if she is in a crate full of cuddly bedding, she is safe, and within arm's reach if needed!

being a poodle X spaniel, make sure you get her used to having her floppy ears played with/checked/groomed every day, as well as the rest of her, naturally :rofl: it makes for much more peaceful grooming later on!

Thanks for all your replies. As I said, she is the first dog I've ever owned so it's all new to me.

I can't imagine what kind of dreams she must be having to be so disturbed in her sleep! It must be one big dog chasing her!!!

My dog dreams quite a bit and can be quite vocal but she won't move from the spot where she is sleeping. She will do a range of things including barking, whining, tail wagging and slightly moving her feet which we think is when she is running. No harm has ever come to her and I would think this is all part of the sleep cycle. You never know your dog might be whimpering because in her dream she has come across a big fat rabbit and just can't quite get to it! :rofl: