Where Does Your Puppy Sleep?

msn

Atlas sleeps in our bed, but sometimes in the morning when I get up early he bails out and goes and lies on the top of the front steps in the sun ... for a few mins then back into bed with OH. :)

During the day it's on the veranda or in the yard on his back (sick of suncreaming his very pink bits) and he is also partial to laundry baskets full of clean clothes. Oh and if you stand still long enough anywhere but particularly the kitchen he sleeps draped across your feet.

He's spethul.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sally is quite content to sleep in her bed in the laundry. We leave the door open so if she gets hold/cold she can sleep elsewhere but that's where she likes to be. have even tried moving the bed but she still goes back and lies on the floor in the laundry!

bert sleeps with us in our bed. i know most dog books dont recommend it but I believe every situation is different and if it works for you, then great :rofl:

bert know if he doesnt follow the 'bed rules' (i.e: no digging to china, no playing on the bed, no biting of hair or feet) he is off immediately.

Guest belgian.blue

My 15 month pup has her bed on the floor at the foot of my bed where she sleeps when I'm sleeping. She stays there all night long, until I [or the cat] stirs in the morning.

Most of the other time she is on my bed, floorboards or on her bed in the lounge. At the moment she's on my bed.

Our dogs are normally outside dogs. The older boy sleeps outside on the veranda or in the garage on one of his bed 3 beds.

The younger one normally sleeps in his crate in the lounge room. During some warmer weather he started sleeping outside (his choice) but when we started getting toads again he is back inside at night in his crate.

My 7 week old sleeps with us on top of the dooner. I try to put her in her bed next to us once shes asleep but sometimes I fall asleep myself. She's yet to do to anything naughty on the bed, she seems to hold it but once shes on the floor its a matter of moments before shes doing something :) hope we can stop that soon.

Hi all,

Just wondering, where does your puppy sleep? I've heard many people and some friends say that they let their puppies/ dogs sleep in their beds.

In fact my puppy school trainer said she lets her dog sleep on her bed but her puppy sleeps in another room. When can you allow your puppy to sleep in your room/ bed? Is this even OK?

Look forward to your thoughts :thumbsup:

MSN

Our new pup sleeps in bed with us and one other little dog. I swore I wouldnt not let this dog sleep with us as I get woken up so many times and end up sleeping in awkward positions to ensure the dogs are comfy lol.

When pup came home he slept in his own bed in our room for a couple of weeks then I started to let him up with me when I had a nap... now the little bugger ram raids the bed till I pick him up lol.

Both of my dogs have their own bed/crate, but are always invited up with me. They only come when invited. Sometimes when i'm not taking a lot of notice my old girl will just stand at the end of my bed, rest her head on my mattress and fall asleep :laugh: ...Leo is still learning obviously..But he loves his bedtime cuddles and getting his tummy rubbed until he falls asleep...Yeh, just a little spoilt...

I think this is a very important point with dogs sleeping on human beds.

Mine are allowed on but only if they have been invited. They understand that it is not their right!!

Only my Cavaliers are allowed on the bed.....the GSDs are always on the floor :rofl:

I'm trying to get sophie use to sleeping on her bed on the floor, but I always wake up in the middle of the night to find her in the bed. Seeing as she can't jump on it yet, I can only assume I am picking her up in my sleep lol.

My other dog sleeps on the bed, and with the 2 of them in the single bed I'm in at the moment its a little crowded, but I don't mind cause nothing beats puppy cuddles in the morning

• 2 weeks later...

We have two dogs - a 2-year-old 'Townsville Lurcher' and a 16-wwek-old Jack Russell. The Lurcher has always slept on her mat in our bedroom and, since the JR moved in, she has happily shared it! Neither dog is allowed on the bed (nasty, nasty Mummy and Daddy).

• 2 weeks later...
My pups sleep in their own crates, they do so from 8 weeks. As they get older, they are sometimes allowed to sleep in our bed but it's usually just for one night and mostly when the OH or myself is away.

Don't your Staffords snore too much to sleep on the bed? :thumbsup:

I am the same, depending if the OH is here, my boy generally sleeps on the bed, but if the OH is here he must sleep in the crate... otherwise I wake up with a sore back or falling off the bed... In the cold he tends to sleep under the covers and shares a pillow. Sheets need to be changed twice a week if that happens.

Raaf has a comfy bed on the floor right next to my bed, a crate made up in the hallway just outside my door, and the run of the house to choose where he would like to sleep... but he always sleeps with me on the bed LOL with his head on the pillow :hug:. He does wait to be invited tho, but who could resist those deep GSD eyes when he rests his head on the bed and looks up at me with this woeful expression :o He has it all worked out nicely for himself...

Initially Zoe had a bed on the floor in the kitchen but now comes in and sleeps on the floor next to our bed at night then after a while she goes into the lounge where she sleeps on her bed or on the couch which we throw a sheet over during the night. She knows that the couch is out of bounds during the day...

My Pug Chopper sleeps on the bed... He's a spoilt little monkey. He has his own pillow which is inbetween my pillow and the bed head but his head always seems to make it onto my pillow! Nothing like a snoring puggy head next to yours while you're trying to get to sleep ;) That's his 'usual' spot but if its a warm night he will go and sleep in the hallway on the tiles... And if it's cold he sleeps on the bed under the doona and usually up against me or the OH!!

When we bought Lilie home from the pound she slept in her bed on the floor next to us for say a month before we invited her to sleep on the bed... When we bought Frankie home the rule was that he couldnt sleep on the bed until he could GET on the bed so he didnt come up for say 6 months but now he sleeps up there too. Same rule with Ruby, though she had her crate for the first month but unlike most of your dogs she was SO happy to get rid of it! She wouldnt even walk NEAR it lol. Now she sleeps on the bed too if she wishes.

All of the dogs have a bed in every room including our bedroom so they often choose to sleep on them or on the floor when it's warmer rather than on the bed. They have a huge bed in the kitchen which they share and love but often prefer to sleep on the wooden floors when its warm. In our old house there was a balcony off our bedroom which was always open and often Lilie and Frankie would choose to sleep out there.

Perhaps I do the wrong thing by giving them so many options and so many beds but it works for us... They love their various beds and options and dont have accidents. It's also nice because they like to follow me around the house so in my office during the day they have their beds, when I cook they have their kitchen beds, watching movies in the living room either their beds or the couch and so on...

Stella sleeps mostly on the bed, near my feet and sometimes in the bed when this goes undetected by me, since it's been hot she's been sleeping on the cool floor in the bathroom.

If we have people over and it's late she will actually come and tell me that she is ready for bed by sitting as far away from me but closest to the bedroom and she will stare at me until people leave and I go to bed..hehe