Newbie With A Cav

MissCav

Hi there. I have an 8 wo cavalier king Charles spaniel named Jacob.

We have had them through our family most of my life and they are the perfect family dog,although I have never hadone this young. Yesterday was his first day away from his litter and mum and he cried an awful lot. I could only get him to sleep by putting him in a makeshift sling.

We have made a pen in the living area and I take him out to the grass every time he cries or wakes up from a sleep and use the words "do wees" and he does. Unfortunately even after using a massive stuffed toy, wheatbags and clock he cried until he woke the kids up and I gave in and took him into our room and had him in a box of blankets next to my bed and was woken every two hours on the dot for pee breaks. What do I do to stop the crying?

Hi.

If, it's 8 weeks old, you must just recently got him, huh? It's still a baby and needs time to adjust away from his fur mummy and littermate. So, it may take a while.

You can either ignore the crying. Or for the first few weeks.. let him sleep in your room, so when he wakes up he can see you. When he settles in with his new family, his crying will stop.

Good luck!!

Pics please :thumbsup:

It is highly traumatic for a puppy to leave its dam and littermates and be transplanted to an unknown environment with someone it doesn't know so of course the puppy will cry. Get a crate and keep the puppy by the side of your bed where he will have some reassurance, as he gets older you can move the crate to wherever you wish the puppy to sleep permanently.

Either that or leave the puppy where he is and put up with the noise, he will eventually adjust and stop crying, but it's pretty hard on the puppy.

It is highly traumatic for a puppy to leave its dam and littermates and be transplanted to an unknown environment with someone it doesn't know so of course the puppy will cry. Get a crate and keep the puppy by the side of your bed where he will have some reassurance, as he gets older you can move the crate to wherever you wish the puppy to sleep permanently.

Either that or leave the puppy where he is and put up with the noise, he will eventually adjust and stop crying, but it's pretty hard on the puppy.

I understand that. Just wanted some ideas on how to stophim from being upset.

Will upload pics once my pc is working.

I understand that. Just wanted some ideas on how to stophim from being upset.

Have him next to your bed so he's not alone. If he whimpers just put your hand down to reassure him, it won't be long before he's sleeping through the night. They don't remain puppies for very long so savour every moment :thumbsup:

Hi MissCav :thumbsup:

It's been years since I have had a puppy (I got both mine when they were older), but I agree with the above comments/advice. He is still a baby.

All the best with your puppy! can't wait to see some pics!

I'm from SA as well :clap:

Oh and welcome to DOL :thumbsup:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Hi, welcome to DOL too :laugh:

Im from SA too - Adelaide.

Unfortunately, this is probably the hardest part of puppy hood, but he will grow out of it. This is all new to him so naturally, he will cry and sometimes it may last days to weeks. Both mine sleep in bed with us, so they never cried. But remember, keep him where you want him to sleep because if you bring him to bed, he will expect to sleep there.

He will want to go wee every few hours. Mine probably go out twice a night. It will get better, but at that early stage, they wee all the time :clap:

Hang in there, it takes a bit of time, patience and some sleepless nights but its only temporary - he is a baby after all :clap:

Make sure to post some pics!!

Ok so far so good. He is now sleeping out in a play pen in the lounge. He is doing everything on a puppy mat and if we get up through the night to the children he goes out and does his business on the lawn. I heat up a wheat bag and put on the talk back radio and he is fine. Dont hear a yap until we get up to the children in the morning. He has a small kennel outside under the veranda with a big quilt in it that smells like my friend's cav and curls up in there through the day and plays with his chew toys quite happily. He has had a couple of wee accidents inside but thats about it. He was chasing the 2 yo around yesterday and seemed to forget where he was and just squatted. I put him straight out on the lawn to get him to go. It has rained today and is a common occurence for Cavs not to get their paws wet and he has done it on the concrete which is a bit annoying. Not sure how to get him out of this habbit. Where do we go from here now that we have gotten him mat trained??

Asleep in DH's arms

dog1r.jpg

dog2p.jpg

with my one year old

dog3x.jpg