13wk Sbt Girl With An Attitude Problem!

lindadiosa

Hi Guys!

Well maybe I'm being over dramatising the whole thing like my OH says but I think Monte is developing an attitude I dont like! :cry:

It usually happens in the evening after she has been fed and we all want some quite time.

We bring her in and immediately she starts running around the house all frantic and out of control, which we ignore. (try!! :mad )

She then escalates this and runs to me or my husband, mainly me, and starts the nipping and mouthing at my feet, I ignore this until it gets too much and I point my finger at her looking into her eyes wtih no sound. This she clearly hates cos the barking begins and the running gets faster and then the growling starts!!

Once I'm pointing my finger at her and she does all this, it looks as if she wants to bite my finger off cos she tries to jump up to nip it!. Im not showing fear though cos Im still standing over her doing this but twice I've just had enough and start chasing her around the house to grab her and carry her out of the house and I've left her there for awhile.

I find my voice starts to get loud and loud so I've chosen to just give her the look :mad with no sound. Is this ok?

Once she comes in after these 'episodes' she is calmer and goes straight to her bed. :thumbsup: But why did she do it in the first place?

I find something also that triggers all this is when we are watching TV and she wants to be patted. Our hands are either covered with a blanket or cushion and she can't see them. The tantrums begin. :rofl:

Puppy school begins next week but any insight will be appreciated!! :(

It usually happens in the evening after she has been fed and we all want some quite time.

We bring her in and immediately she starts running around the house all frantic and out of control, which we ignore. (try!! )

If you know that she behaves in this way, and you want 'quiet time', have a place to put her so that you can have quiet time.

Once I'm pointing my finger at her and she does all this, it looks as if she wants to bite my finger off cos she tries to jump up to nip it!. Im not showing fear though cos Im still standing over her doing this but twice I've just had enough and start chasing her around the house to grab her and carry her out of the house and I've left her there for awhile.

Given that your method seems to escalate her behaviour, it clearly is not having the effect you desire.

Di

Edited by Di*

Sounds to me like she just wants to play... she is excited to be inside with the family and wants to play....

Ditto!

My 15wk Cocker Spaniel sleeps a lot during the day, so in the evenings (and just before bed) gets most nippy/growly. Trying to cure him of the nipping disease ... lol, so distract him with his toys, play with him, then give him a few 'fetches' before crating him for the night. If I take the time to play and tire him out a little, he's much more likely to settle down quicker.

Have only just seen an improvement in the last few nights around the nipping and growling, so am thinking its probably a combination of age and being consistently told 'no'. But mostly age :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like she just wants to play... she is excited to be inside with the family and wants to play....

Ditto!

My 15wk Cocker Spaniel sleeps a lot during the day, so in the evenings (and just before bed) gets most nippy/growly. Trying to cure him of the nipping disease ... lol, so distract him with his toys, play with him, then give him a few 'fetches' before crating him for the night. If I take the time to play and tire him out a little, he's much more likely to settle down quicker.

Have only just seen an improvement in the last few nights around the nipping and growling, so am thinking its probably a combination of age and being consistently told 'no'. But mostly age :rofl:

... but if she wants to play why the growling and the barking? :thumbsup:

It feels aggressive and all Im thinking about is when she is older and how worse it can get!! :cry: . If we don't fix it of course!!

Ditto!

Have only just seen an improvement in the last few nights around the nipping and growling, so am thinking its probably a combination of age and being consistently told 'no'. But mostly age :rofl:

... but if she wants to play why the growling and the barking? :thumbsup:

It feels aggressive and all Im thinking about is when she is older and how worse it can get!! :cry: . If we don't fix it of course!!

I thought the same thing, but was told by my puppy school instructor that the growling/barking is just part of his play!

Still, I don't encourage him particularly with the growling, and just either ignore him or clip him under the chin. I can now however tell the difference between his play growling, and when he's annoyed growling (such as when my son picks him up if he's been sleeping). Each week seems to be better than the last however, and like you, am looking forward to starting further training (obedience) this Saturday, as I'm still a puppy novice myself.

Edited by MsBex

:thumbsup: welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Stafford with a bit of get up and go and some personality.

These are the bright puppies, they are the playfull one's , full of drive and they are also the easiest to teach :rofl:

When you bring your pup inside, arm yourself with a handfull of treats, as it's the ideal time to do some basic obedience or teach a new trick. Your puppy is full of energy , so put that energy to good use. You can pop a light leash on, to prevent the jumping on the furniture etc. You will find that after 5 minutes of some training, you're pup will be ready to settle down.

She is treating you guys like your her litter mates, and wants to play.

Quick questions:

Are you crate training?

No - she has her bed in the lounge and when we go to sleep we move her to the laundry.

What exercise is she getting?

Just started walking her a bit more. Our yard is reasonable size so she does a lot of bird chasing during the day.

What mental stimulation is she getting?

This one is tricky - I would say not as much as I'd like. Waiting for puppy shool for this one.

What boundries does she have?

This is another tricky one - she knows bedrooms are out of bounds and I guess I know what you mean cos once inside there is a lot chasing to get her out of places and it all can be a big game for her.

:rofl:

Lappiemum thanks for those questions... you've put me to think :thumbsup:

Edited by lindadiosa

You don't need to wait until puppy school, try teaching her to sit, drop, start lead training, give her a toy and teach her to drop it by swapping it for a treat, buy a clicker and look up some puppy clicker games, there is loads to do! You will be amazed at how tired a puppy can get from mental stimulation.

Staffords can be a very vocal breed. If you'd seen two playing together, you'd probably think they were killing each other sometimes. :thumbsup:

It definitely sounds like an invitation to play to me.. pups do zoomies because they are fun. My 12 year old poodle still does them occasionally. Why not play with her.. teach her to tug, to retrieve and try a few interactive games.

Lindadiosa, you have sounded a couple of times like you are a little scared of this pup or at least are hypervigilant for signs of "dominance" .. am I reading you correctly? How much do you know about Staffords generally - they are very rarely aggressive towards people.

I'd investigate crate training (I love my crates!!LOL) - it will help establish boundries, make your puppy feel secure and safe (the crate is actually her den :rofl: ) and allow you some peace and quiet! But remember, never use a crate as punishment - it should always be positive. There are lots of good books and advice out there on crate training - including here on DOL :thumbsup:

Mental stimulation is a biggie - even when they are puppies! Basic training is the best place to start - never very long, but often is my moto when dealing with puppies! Also, buy some interactive toys - and kongs are very, very good - they will keep an inquisitive puppy chewwing happily for hours! (you should see my dogs with their kongs - they will keep going back for days once I'v filled one with liver treats!!LOL). A romp in the back yard is fine, but they do need to see the outside world - even if you just do a short walk around the block that's a whole new expereince. One word of caution though - as you puppy is still young, don't allow them to say hello to strange dogs (or eat wierd stuff off the pavement!) etc until they are over their vaccinations - and for the same reason, I'd definately avoid dog parks (not my fav places anyway, though!)

Some basic rules and boundries are important too, as you need to establish that you are in charge (not the puppy!) - so always remember that the puppy is watching you to see if you are (in its eyes!) and effective leader. Again, there is plenty of advice out there on dog training and understanding canine behaviour. If you need info though, pm me and I'll send you a pdf link of some puppy training booklets I have.

Always remember that your dog is a dog, and you can't expect it to behave or be like a person. Dogs interpret things in dog ways, so its up to you to learn about how dogs view their world - and us!

And welcome to puppyhood!! :cry:

:thumbsup: welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Stafford with a bit of get up and go and some personality.

These are the bright puppies, they are the playfull one's , full of drive and they are also the easiest to teach :cry:

When you bring your pup inside, arm yourself with a handfull of treats, as it's the ideal time to do some basic obedience or teach a new trick. Your puppy is full of energy , so put that energy to good use. You can pop a light leash on, to prevent the jumping on the furniture etc. You will find that after 5 minutes of some training, you're pup will be ready to settle down.

I Agree!! George was exactly the same, but training him has helped heaps! I know it might be the last thing you feel like doing at night when your ready to sit down and have a rest but a little more work now and you'll reap the rewards later!

George also did exactly the same thing, I'd point and he'd instinctively just nip at my finger :rofl: cheeky little bugger! They do grow out of it. Awesome dogs SBT's, they really are great!

Staffords can be a very vocal breed. If you'd seen two playing together, you'd probably think they were killing each other sometimes. :thumbsup:

It definitely sounds like an invitation to play to me.. pups do zoomies because they are fun. My 12 year old poodle still does them occasionally. Why not play with her.. teach her to tug, to retrieve and try a few interactive games.

Lindadiosa, you have sounded a couple of times like you are a little scared of this pup or at least are hypervigilant for signs of "dominance" .. am I reading you correctly? How much do you know about Staffords generally - they are very rarely aggressive towards people.

So true :rofl:

Yeah, Erik was also like this. Now he just flings himself at my older dog when he wants to play. :thumbsup:

Erik is the kind of dog that is extremely full of himself and makes demands about pretty much everything. I have found this remarkably easy to handle by just teaching him what does get him what he wants. He will sit quietly when asked even when he's just about bursting because once he knew what sit quietly meant, I asked for it every time he wanted something, then rewarded with what he wanted, or something just as good. He will now sit quietly when asked in most circumstances. He's still a baby, so I don't expect it to be fully proofed, but he will sit when I need him to stop attacking my ankles, and he'll sit when I would like him to stop leaping up and down in front of the couch and barking, and he'll sit when the sheer amount of energy he has is driving everyone in the house including my other dog insane. It's not a permanent fix, though. Just a hold button to give me a moment to think of something I can do with him or give him as an acceptable outlet for all this energy. It would be unfair of me to expect him to control his energy.

At my place, I've been known to initiate the zoomies by pretending to be a scary monster and "chasing" the dogs around the house.

This game is played with much glee by my tribe. The main chasee gets chased by the other dogs and we all hide and ambush each other. :rofl:

My "look like a complete idiot" capacity is clearly high. :thumbsup:

lindadiosa.. may I suggest you do a lot more 'constructive' stuff with your pup ...as leaving her to her own devices to chase birds all day may come back to bite you on the backside :thumbsup:

She may become obsessed...she may well start to be a noisy chaser..and she may well start to bounce off fences or try and climb trees.

The neighbours will NOT be impressed :rofl:

She needs 3 or 4 FIVE to TEN minute sessions a day- that's all.

throw balls/toys for her

put her lead/collar on and walk her around the block...or the yard..ON YOUR TERMS! The act of concentrating on being well behaved is tiring...running,, pulling, chasing is not !

bring her indoors on lead (get a chain one so she doesn't start to chew it :cry: ) Sit down, and have her sit on a mat/bed alongside you. Give her a treat, or a chewy thing. Sit there for 5 minutes..and WHEN SHE IS SETTLED... take her calmly outside again..

Put her lead on. get her to stand quietly, while you brush her, check her feet/ears/mouth.

All these things, done a few times a day will focus her more on you, will get her thinking, and be mental and physical exercise for her.

I can see where you coming from Poodlefan. :rofl:

Monte is my first introduction to the big world of dogs and in the three weeks we've had her, I could not see myself without her. She has become so much part of the family and she comes everywhere with us so I don't feel scared at all but I am always questioning her every move and over reading it sometimes. :thumbsup:

Believe me I have done my research and that's why I'm questioning her latest behaviour but then i have no practice whatsoever only theory and tons of it!! :cry:

Yeah, Erik was also like this. Now he just flings himself at my older dog when he wants to play. :thumbsup:

Erik is the kind of dog that is extremely full of himself and makes demands about pretty much everything. I have found this remarkably easy to handle by just teaching him what does get him what he wants. He will sit quietly when asked even when he's just about bursting because once he knew what sit quietly meant, I asked for it every time he wanted something, then rewarded with what he wanted, or something just as good. He will now sit quietly when asked in most circumstances. He's still a baby, so I don't expect it to be fully proofed, but he will sit when I need him to stop attacking my ankles, and he'll sit when I would like him to stop leaping up and down in front of the couch and barking, and he'll sit when the sheer amount of energy he has is driving everyone in the house including my other dog insane. It's not a permanent fix, though. Just a hold button to give me a moment to think of something I can do with him or give him as an acceptable outlet for all this energy. It would be unfair of me to expect him to control his energy.

I keep Monte on her toes like this as well. She does it... most of the time :rofl:

All these posts are great and I think I get the underlined message: PATIENCE & CONSISTENCY!

Thanks!