Ccd

Ok so we have entered our first trial which is in a couple of weeks. :rofl:

Have been asking questions at training and have received feedback and advice which has been great- little things that new handlers may not think twice about but may be classed as an extra command.

I am looking for any more advice people can give me- no matter how small it may seem, will help!! Anything you have done or noticed obedience newbies do that cost them points.....

thanks! :thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that it is FUN, there are no sheep stations up for grabs.

If you go into the ring thinking this you will do fine.

Only other thing is listen to what the judge says and do what they tell you to do. However, if you do make a mistake it is not the end of the world, just keep going. For a number of trials I consistently did the opposite turn to what the judge asked. eg Judge said left turn I did a right or vice versa. The judge can usually adapt. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

Africandreams - I am not sure which trial you have entered but just in case its the West Coast Challenge - it is listed in the K9 News as being at the GSDA Grounds when in fact it will be held at K9.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

things to remember:

- use a full length lead

- you can use a flat or correction collar but you can't correct your dog in the ring

- keep your lead loose in heeling as most judges will dock you points every time the lead goes tight

- you need to wear your number when in the ring so don't forget your arm band or a saftey pin

- bring a chair! Trust me I still forget this on occaisions

- a crate or mat for your dog to be in or on

- wait until the judge tells you to do something. Don't move forward until the judge says forward and don't praise your dog until after the judge has said exercise finished

- if you do a wrong turn in the heel work don't correct yourself, the judge will redirect you

- focus on giving clear signals, plenty of people get nervous (me included) and give terrible signals which the dog doesn't understand

- Something I did when I started trialling again last year (break of about 4/5 years) was drop my hands after the recall signal so that they hit my legs and made a noise. I didn't realise I was doing it and was told after that this would normally be classed as a second command and that I should avoid doing it in future

- You can only say heel after moving off from a stationary position not while you are moving

- You can praise your dog and give it pats between exercises

- There is no correct side to the start peg no matter what anyone tries to tell you, stand on which ever side you like

- Keep an eye on your ring so you don't miss your call - I went through a phase of missing mine, which is not the end of the world in obedience but it does piss the stewards off!

- Tell the judge that you are new to trialling and they will usually check to make sure you understand the exercise and don't be afraid to ask questions before the exercise or even after the exercise

- For later levels, something that a new trialler at my club just discovered if you drop the dumbbell don't pick it up! If the dog picks it up you won't fail the exercise you'll just loose some points. She picked it up thinking she'd already blown the excerise only to be told that if the dog had of picked it back up she would have passed and got a qually that day!

And above all else, you take the best dog home at the end of the day so don't get too disheartened if you don't get the qually!

GOODLUCK!!! :laugh:

thankyou thats excellent advice.

I have 2 questions:

if my dog is just say not paying any attention in the heeling routine(sniffing the ground for example) whats the best thing to do? Say heel? Say her name? I know that these will be classed as second commands.....

In the recall, what is the process.....do you have your dog in a sit, then the judge takes the lead, you forward, halt (under judge instruction) leave your dog, call your dog, return to your dog?

I have 2 questions:

if my dog is just say not paying any attention in the heeling routine(sniffing the ground for example) whats the best thing to do? Say heel? Say her name? I know that these will be classed as second commands.....

In the recall, what is the process.....do you have your dog in a sit, then the judge takes the lead, you forward, halt (under judge instruction) leave your dog, call your dog, return to your dog?

Q1 - better to say heel but avoid it if you can as you will be docked points. You can try saying a firmer command when you heel off or ask her to stand or drop to try and get her attention. If she's really not focussed the judge may end the exercise or ask if you want to stop the exercise.

Q2 - you start with your dog sitting at heel. The judge will say the next exercise is the recall please remove your lead. You hand the lead over and the judge asks if you are ready for the exercise. The judge will ask you to heel forward and then ask you to halt. They will then ask you to leave your dog and will tell you to about turn when you are about 10m away. The judge will then ask you to call your dog, once it's in front of you and sitting the judge will ask you to return to your dog.

Yes it's a 2nd command. The steward usually takes the lead. Where ever you have your hands b4 the recall is where they should be after you call the dog. So if you leave you dog with your hands at your waist, that's where they should be after the hand signal.

I have 2 questions:

We had the South Australian judges at the States/Nationals last weekend and if you were heeling and you called you dog up usings its name - it was exercise finished :laugh:

I have 2 questions:

We had the South Australian judges at the States/Nationals last weekend and if you were heeling and you called you dog up usings its name - it was exercise finished :laugh:

ouch that's harsh!!

gotta love the variety in judging between the different states! At our state trials recently I trialled under a NSW judge on the first day and noticed that he didn't ping people for looking at their dogs in the heel work which under QLD judges you usually get docked for big time!!

Study the rule book so you will know what you are and are not allowed to do. It explains what is a minor and major deduction.

As others have said, have fun, it is only a trial and judges really want you to pass. If your dog is struggling, help it, at the end of the day you take your favourite dog home. :laugh:

gotta love the variety in judging between the different states! At our state trials recently I trialled under a NSW judge on the first day and noticed that he didn't ping people for looking at their dogs in the heel work which under QLD judges you usually get docked for big time!!

I think this is more a judge to judge thing rather than State by State. Some judges are happy for you to second signal or look at your dog, some are not, some judges are happy with close heel work some are not.

The rules are very open to personal interpretation which sucks, but as you trial more often you get to know what different judges want or like.