Ccd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou everyone for the encouragement. We had a lovely judge. Gave lots of helpful advice. But we failed miserably. Judge said not to be too disheartened as it was our first trial, but also was blowing a gale and many dogs that normaly did well were failing.

I have never seen my bitch work (or not work) like she did today. In her defense she was a bit unwell earlier in the wk, so maybe she just didnt feel right today. Normaly shes quite eager to work but very flat today.

I was a bit embarassed to introduce myself to anyone- it looked like I hadnt done any training at all!

Well we have a few things to work on so will keep persevering.

Sorry to hear that it didn't go as well as you'd hoped... But, you've got the first one out of the way - it can only get better from here! I'm sure you would have learned a lot from the experience! I know I did when I went in my first trial!

Hey afrisandreams - your dog was not the only one not to work well - lets just say the toller tree is very FULL today :)

It was funny weather - blowing a gale and a lot of dogs were away with the fairies :birthday:

Good to hear that the judge was helpful and just remember this was your first trial - so it can only get better from here :)

thanks guys. Yes judge was great. I think we failed first in the heeling- but she let us keep going. Encouraged us, gave advice- couldn't have asked for a better judge for our first trial-walked away feeling very disappointed at how we went but at the same time encouraged to give it another go.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't pass with your girl and only saw this thread today.

Remember that Dobes are very 'special' when it comes obedience -yup they love it but you must make it a game - and you cannot work them too much or they get bored and hate it or start to 'modify' excercises :) .

Eg, my young boy - hadn't really done any training with him ever (some time ago) and started basic first official training session - only for the little smart a--- to work in perfect heel position, made turns perfectly and change of pace, drop & stand no issue - only really had to work on halt (auto sit) and left about turn (I do flip/military turn). I was left stunned - when did he learn it ??? He thought he was sooooo clever and I guess he was really - lovely boy he is - still haven't trialed him though - might have to get him ready for the National.

I have decided to have mine ready for the next level before I trial them at the prior level - for me it is about improving my partnership and result with the dog each time we trial (or train).

Best of luck with your girl - just enjoy the journey.

Bernadette

Bisart Dobermanns

http://bisartdobermanns.homestead.com

I have been ready your post and trying to put myself in your shoes as I too have just entered into our frist obeidece trial with my lovely greyhound puppy (17months) today and as I have never been to one before hoping to the dog gods that he got recall without zoomies...alas we didn't do very well as he refused to drop and well the sits where if he felt like them and recall wellllllllll he did come run past me and come back and sit so I was ever so proud of him no points. He nearly made sit stay until an ant crawled up his leg so he dropped. Stay drop was perfect but with 31 points all day out of 100 we didn't get a pass. In his defence it was 31 degrees and only 2 out of 13 passed, most not working so well with the heat. Hopeing we all do much better in the coming year with lots more practice. I have never been so scared in my life and nearly starting crying and I am 40. :)

Hi Yacket's Mum

Now that you know what to expect, the best thing you can do for yourself is to team up with an experienced and successful trialler, and learn how they break down all of the different exercises in practice. One thing that all of the really successful triallers have in common, is that they practice the basic foundations for all of the exercises, even on things previously well learnt.

They also continually work on improving motivation all the time. When you have motivation and focus at their peaks, the rest will jump into place really fast, and an experienced person will be able to show you how to achieve that.

My advice would be to approach the winner of the next local trial and buy them a beer!! A bit of ego stroking, and they will start spilling beans all over the place!!

:) dogdude - I have to laugh my major problem at the moment is having too much motivation - er yep never thought I'd say that but if somebody didn't find heeling so inherrently rewarding she might just give enough to allow me to walk a straightline :cheer: . My youngest girl seems to give me 200% regardless of if I have anything to reward her or not.

Thanks dogdude. I have some very wonderful experienced trainers and triallers that help me an awful lot and we tied to do everything right but his brain was switched off (so what can you do) he is very young and we are all learning how to train a greyhound because it is not the normal obeidence dog and there are just some things that don't work for him and so we have to think of other tatics. He is highly treat driven but even yesterday with the heat he was not interested. I also have a very experienced trainer doing personal sessions with us at home and we are wonderful so it just goes to show what can happen on the day and how the dog feels. I am not making excuses for him or me but out dogs are living breathing animals that do have a mind of there own and sometimes they just put it on! But in saying that we are going to start on the body motoivation with him and see if that will help him. Oh and maybe out next trial can be in the dark when it is cool.... :rofl::confused:

dogdude - I have to laugh my major problem at the moment is having too much motivation - er yep never thought I'd say that but if somebody didn't find heeling so inherrently rewarding she might just give enough to allow me to walk a straightline . My youngest girl seems to give me 200% regardless of if I have anything to reward her or not.

At least its probably a nice problem to have (if you have to have one), should be easy enough to fix. (Is she sign tracking for food? Or eye contact?)

I think thats often the difference at trials on hot days (high drive dogs v lower drive dogs).

On colder days, I would say my boy almost has just as much drive on cold days as my girl, but the differences are stark on warmer days.

Hmm not sure Dogdude - she is just feral :clap: . She has never been a real foodie so I used a lot of toys with her when she was little. Probably part of the issue as I find you don't quite get the same precision with rewarding as you can with food. Also BCs I have found do tend to want to wrap anyway :clap: . Even my older girl does it when she is in the mood :clap: .

Have been doing plenty of pivoting on the spot and slow pace and rewarding her for keeping her back end in but its a very slow process.