Help - Not Sure If Puppy's Tired, Or Sick?

keels

Just a little bit worried, and if anyone can help it would be appreciated?

Middie's been really quiet and tired all day, he's been sleeping under my desk almost all day!

Usually he'd be up and around, chewing on my pant legs, chewing on bones, running around the office, and still sleep occasionally, but not nearly as long as this!

I got him up at lunch and took him to Mum and Dad's while I did some shopping, but Dad rung me asking me if he was okay cos he went and sat in the corner and was shaking, and then went to sleep. And he said he heard there was some contagious thing going around with dogs at the moment (yes, very helpful and specific!)

He was shaking a little here under my desk first thing this morning, but I thought it was cos I'd just put ointment in his eye for his conjunctivitis.

He didn't eat dinner last night, which we figured was cos he was out in the heat for most of the day, and he only ate half this morning, although he ate all his chicken neck.

I'm not sure whether he's tired cos of his run at the beach this morning (not a long run, more like chasing me back and forth a few times!) and being a bit sooky, cos he was very timid when we brought him home, and sometimes gets a bit timid every now and again, depending on his mood really.

I probably sound like a paranoid mother!! But Dad kinda kreaked me out with this "contagious thing" Has anyone heard of this??

Yeah, the girls here said could it be the storm, but he's been like this since last night, so I'm taking him to the vet!

He's started shaking constantly now! I rung the vet and I'm taking him down in an hour.

I've checked him for ticks, couldn't find anything, this is a terrible feeling though!! :cheers:

I keep looking at him every couple of seconds to make sure he's okay!

I thought this morning, I'll follow him whenever he goes somewhere to make sure his poo's are normal, but he hasn't got up all day!!

Hopefully I'm just being overly protective or something!! :laugh:

Hmmm...... He's looking worse - he just started whimpering in his sleep, and when i got down and picked him up to look at him, he stumbled a bit - do you think I should ring the vet and ask to come down now?

I did say when I rung that I was quite worried and the girl goes, well we're quite booked up, I'll see whether we can squeeze you in, and then told me to come down in an hour!!!

Edited to add: Maybe I'm being paranoid cos he's my baby! But I think I'll ring the vet again.

Edited by keels

Well I took him down, and the vet was a bit worried about his stomach, it's pretty hard, so she gave him some fluid under his skin and I'm going back tomorrow, she thinks he might have something blocking him up, and hopefully the fluid will get things moving, but if he's still bad she's going to x-ray.

He's pepped up heaps in the last 15 minutes, he was just wagging his tail for the first time today, and started trying to play with me!

Poor guy didn't have fun at the vets, geting poked and prodded and what not.

I was close to tears before she looked at him cos he just looked soooo sad! :thumbsup:

I'm feeling much better that he's wanting to play, so he must be feeling better thank god! What a relief! ;)

Well he's def looking perkier today, but he's gone funny now that I've fed him brekky.

Which makes sense if he's got a blockage, but at least he wanted to eat this time, and he hasn't eaten much for the last two days.

I'll see what the vet says, but at least I'm not so worried!

It's like having a human baby! (Only with sharper teeth!)

And thanks everyone for the well wishes!!

Edited by keels

hoping your pup is well, can you please tell me the breed? he/she is absolutely stunning! :thumbsup: ;)

He's actually a mixed-bag!

He's a staffy cross, we think he's got some chihuahua in him. His mum was a staffy cross, she was quite small, so maybe she had chihuahua in her, cos his brothers and sisters were much bigger than him.

I got him from Cordelia's Canine Rescue, so if you're after a puppy or dog she always has lots of cuties that she's rescued! Actually, she has some beautiful little puppies on her website at the moment, I'm in :( with those kelpies, and little midget is just adorable!!

Geez! Just found this thread! ;)

Has he poo'd yet??

To help keep him a bit clear, you could add some Sardines in oil to his feed a few times a week. He loves em! (All my guys get sardines in oil 3 times a week).

Thank God he's feeling better. :thumbsup:

Yep, he's poo'd a couple times today! One of his poo's had some bark through it, so that might have been it, cos vet said his stomach felt much softer.

Yeah he gets sardines in his food once a week, I might up that though.

But now I know why he loves sardines so much! I wasn't sure whether he'd eat them when I gave them to him, but he woofs them down!

Keels

Happy to hear that Middie is on the mend.

Isn't it funny how us people who are 'first' parents again (or coming back from a very long break without pets), are totally insane when our bubs get sick???

We were exactly the same with Bronte when she had a rash on her belly, and something in her eye, etc, etc.....

Oh the joys of motherhood!!!

Jodi