Revolution Reactions

Has anyone had a dog or pup react to Revolution?

I put it on our nearly 6 month old pup last night.

He started rolling and rubbing the back of his neck (where I'd applied it) within 5 minutes.

We immediately bathed him, and he was fine, but just wondering ... .

We have used it before, and he did not react to it.

I am also wondering if he may have had a tiny scratch on his neck, and the Revolution inflamed it.

He was grabbed by a cocker spaniel at the park on Sunday, and afterwards he kept pawing at his neck which was all wet from the dog's grabbing him, altho we could not see anything.

I tried this product on Mokha and he went nuts, scratching and carrying on. I don't use spot ons on him I use Sentinel spectrum and capstar tablets when necessary. He is a dog with various allergies so I was not willing to try it a second time.Lots of dogs use it without problems I assume or there would be no market for it.It may have just been the broken skin. You could try putting it on in a different spot.

My previous girl used to try to back away and out when I applied her spot on. I think it is an irritant to them. I wish I'd 'listened' to her. Sorry, girl.

I don't use spot-ons on my current boy at all. I guess that's a matter of learning, and I wish I knew back then for my avatar girl what I know now.

I don't know what State you live in and hence I don't know what climate you have, but IMO if there isn't a flea problem, don't de-flea. If there isn't a mite problem, don't de-mite. And so on and so forth.

And if you do heartworm tablets/chews, remember that Revolution has heartworm preventative in it as well (from memory, it does, anyway), so avoid the double-dosing.

Edited by Erny

Yes, Erny, it does do heartworm.

I used it on my guys. They were fine. However, I developed a serious dermatitus on my fingers from it. I "feel" through the dogs' coats every day for fleas, I groom them ete. The skin around my fingernails has cracked and peeled. Very painful. Doctor had a fit.

At least the dogs are ok :)

I tried this product on Mokha and he went nuts, scratching and carrying on. I don't use spot ons on him I use Sentinel spectrum and capstar tablets when necessary. He is a dog with various allergies so I was not willing to try it a second time.Lots of dogs use it without problems I assume or there would be no market for it.It may have just been the broken skin. You could try putting it on in a different spot.

I have two dogs with allergic skin disease... my boy is very sensitive to chemicals and we've found he has a severe contact allergy to Propylene Glycol, which is used in a whole variety of products. Revolution contains PG and was one of the products that we used, which lead to our discovery... Same reaction: scratching, crying, jumping etc. It burns / hurts his skin...

My boy has really bad skin allergies and I've been using Revolution on him since he was a pup (he's 18 months now). Our current theory is that it's the Revolution so I've stopped putting it on him. Before he would 'put up' with it and wouldn't carry on, but he certainly wasn't happy about it when he saw the tube come out!

Breed specific adverse reactions to Revolution have been noted - collie breeds in particular.

What breed of dog are we talking about?

He is a Border Collie - his mum and grandma didn't react, and he didn't react last time.

I am wondering if it is linked to the cocker grabbing him, otherwise I'd be positive he is allergic to Revolution.

I only used it because the dreaded fleas are back! So now he has no flea protection.

I never give heartworm pills if I use Revolution.

Have a good look at his neck.

Dog bites can look minor at first, but if pulling was also involved e.g. pulling the other dog off, can do damage under the skin.

An abscess (blood, fluid collection under the skin) can start forming a day or more later.

My dog had an abscess develop post-bite- appeared swollen and felt 'boggy' to touch.

I haven't had any problems with Frontline, Advantix, Revolution.

Sentinel Spectrum is a tablet/ chew that covers heartworm, intestinal worms (roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and tapeworm) and fleas.

Elke had a reaction to Revolution - it was as if it burned her skin. She ran outside and started rolling on the ground to try to get it off. Needless to say, I don't use it any more - have switched to Advantage, which does not cause her any problems, and Heartguard.

If your furkid is a Border Collie you should NOT be using Revolution UNLESS he has been DNA Tested for Ivermectin Sensitivity as it contains one of the "mectin" drugs that can be fatal to an Ivermectin Sensitive dog. I would cease using it immediately .

The DNA test only costs about $60 and unless he is CLEAR( if he is Affected or Carrier DON'T use) then do not use any drugs that contain any "mectin" based or related drugs.

I have Rough Collies who are DNA Tested and are Affected so I use Daily Dimmitrol tablets for heartworm prevention, frontine plus for flea control( only because we have quite a few cats in our street) and then 3mthly allwormer..

If you look at www.busteralert.org it will give you heaps of information on what drugs NOT to give your dog and what breeds are affected.

Feel free to PM me for further information

The same thing happens with some of the pour on drenches used on Cattle, they run around silly for awhile and they have hides! Some even get burned. Most of the dog and cat flea spot on controls are smaller doses of same products.

I use ... frontine plus for flea control (only because we have quite a few cats in our street)

:laugh:

We have quite a number of cats in our street too, yet I have not had a flea problem with either my current boy or my previous girl. Do the cats in your neighbourhood come over and hang around your dogs or linger in your yard?

Edited by Erny

Have a good look at his neck.

Dog bites can look minor at first, but if pulling was also involved e.g. pulling the other dog off, can do damage under the skin.

An abscess (blood, fluid collection under the skin) can start forming a day or more later.

My dog had an abscess develop post-bite- appeared swollen and felt 'boggy' to touch.

I haven't had any problems with Frontline, Advantix, Revolution.

Sentinel Spectrum is a tablet/ chew that covers heartworm, intestinal worms (roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and tapeworm) and fleas.

I did check him a lot in case there was anything happening from the cocker grabbing him, but he is fine.

Possibly there was a tiny graze, or he is sensitive to it.