First Chewing Gum, Then Wd40, Then Dish Washing Liquid!

Sam&Saki

So this morning, while eating breakfast out in the sunshine with Saki happily running around, I noticed she had a large, dirty pink congealed patch of fur on her upper rear left leg.

I just about had a heart attack, thinking it was a big messy wound, but upon closer examination it smelled like strawberry flavoured confectionary.

It was chewing gum she'd somehow gotten out of the rubbish bin and on to herself :confused::)

I usually work from home but since I'm at work today I didn't have time to get it out of her coat before leaving, and my Dad is dogsitting her for today.

Now it seems my Dad googled how to get chewing gum out of a dog's coat and some idiot has put an article online about washing your dog with WD40 :confused::laugh: So that's what he did.

I went nuts at him over the phone about how if any of the WD40 gets absorbed into her skin or licked off by her it is toxic; so insisted he wash THAT out with dish washing liquid immediately, which he grudgingly agreed to do.

So when I get home from work tonight I'll have a dog who has has chewing gum, WD40 and dishwashing liquid in one day - would I be correct in assuming the dishwashing liquid will get the WD40 out? But not the chewing gum?

How do I get the chewing gum out of her coat? & also ensure there's no WD40 (or dishwashing liquid) left in it? :laugh:

Edited by Sam&Saki

So this morning, while eating breakfast out in the sunshine with Saki happily running around, I noticed she had a large, dirty pink congealed patch of fur on her upper rear left leg.

I just about had a heart attack, thinking it was a big messy wound, but upon closer examination it smelled like strawberry flavoured confectionary.

It was chewing gum she'd somehow gotten out of the rubbish bin and on to herself :confused::)

I usually work from home but since I'm at work today I didn't have time to get it out of her coat before leaving, and my Dad is dogsitting her for today.

Now it seems my Dad googled how to get chewing gum out of a dog's coat and some idiot has put an article online about washing your dog with WD40 :confused::laugh: So that's what he did.

I went nuts at him over the phone about how if any of the WD40 gets absorbed into her skin or licked off by her it is toxic; so insisted he wash THAT out with dish washing liquid immediately, which he grudgingly agreed to do.

So when I get home from work tonight I'll have a dog who has has chewing gum, WD40 and dishwashing liquid in one day - would I be correct in assuming the dishwashing liquid will get the WD40 out? But not the chewing gum?

How do I get the chewing gum out of her coat? & also ensure there's no WD40 (or dishwashing liquid) left in it? :laugh:

Baby oil works a treat on gum (great for removing elastoplast without pain). Put some on, leave for a few minutes and it should be easy to pull out.

I'd recommend a thorough bath afterwards. Frankly if the gum isn't anywhere too unsightly, I'd just cut it out.

Thanks Poodlfan, I can get some baby oil on the way home, if you think it will work on a Spitz coat?

It's on the top hip area of her rear leg, really is very large and obvious, would much prefer not to cut her coat if at all possible!

Thanks HuskyHeaven :confused: I'm now imagining I'll have to get something else to get the dishwashing liquid off and then something else to get that off and then something else to get that off and at the end of the day the chewy will still be stuck there :confused::)

Wonder if something like Zoff would work. That is what I had recommended for removing glue when I was gluing my girls ears down as a pup. Not sure if it would work on chewing gum or not but you get it at the chemist.

I've been told eucalyptus oil works so might try that first, then baby oil. Don't want to cut if can help it!

But HuskyHeaven - LIES ALL LIES!!!

Was it YOU that wrote the article that my Dad read and believed? The elderly can't always differentiate between good internet advice and bad internet advice, you know :confused::)

I'm gum phobic so couldn't bring myself to try to wash it out or touch it, I would just cut it out with thinning scissors so you don't leave a hole.

Good luck!

Ditto.

Just the thought of your story makes my stomach churn.

....... Dogs don't absorb through their skin.

:rofl: Dunno about this..................... Think of all those spot-on flea/ tick treatments that are absorbed thru skin e.g. Advantix, Frontline.

I bet she smells wonderful.

To get your gum out use citrus oil, available from hardware stores or get some lemon essence from the supermarket (same thing) You might need to dab it on the gum a few times but it will get it out eventually.

good luck