Puppy Gets Skewer Stuck Down Its Throat

gavrhodes

hi all,

have been lurking around here for quite a while now, just never really gotten around to making posts. main reason that got me started is i am currently overseas is Laos visiting my wifes family. they have a 4-5 month old puppy which is well and truly a mix of breeds, as purebreds are almost never found here. anyway, to match the lack of purebreds there is also a lack of vets. that is, i would struggle to find one anywhere. thus my quandry

as per the title, just woke up to puppy screams of death and we found our little friend with a bamboo skewer pointer end down his throat. dunno how he found it or got it there but it was stuck well and truly. this is a puppy that currently would be the size of a pomeranian or like dog. he is about 4kg or so. it was removed and about 5 inches was covered in blood. so far no symptoms of damaged lungs, damaed stomach or the like. i suspect it went straght through the throat in to the muscles at the back of the neck. there is no blood coming from the mouth, and i really dont want to distress him too much further by trying to look down his throat.

so i guess i am wondering if anyone can suggest what i can do to try and help him out? at present he is curled up in dark corner feeling very sorry for himself, and screams every time he moves his neck. given that any sort of packaged pet related item is certainly not obtainable, home remedies are the go here. just want to give them as much help as i can, and i figured where better to ask than here.

cheers and thanks in advance

Gav

I can't really suggest any home remedies as I rely on being within reach of a vet for anything serious. All I can suggest is pm'ing some of the DOLers who are qualified vets for advice, Charles Kuntz is one and Rappie is another. They are both very helpful people and as as you have no vet access where you are they may be able to advise.

Poor pup, 5 inches deep sounds alot to me.

They have vets in Laos?

That is where the dog should be NOW. Please don't waste any more time. The dog could well die.

Edited: Didn't read where it said you can't get to a vet, but do they have any vets there at all?

A human doctor would be the next best thing.

Edited by Cazablanca

Take him to a human doctor if possible! Next best thing to a vet. In the mean time keep him warm, and hydrated.

Rappie, Charles K, and Cavalier are the qualified DOL vets.

PS, have also PMed you Gav.

Edited by Staranais

OMG poor puppy.

Yes if you can get hold of some antibiotics that would be a start. Also keep him quiet. My main fear would be firstly that the oesophagus or wind pipe were perforated and would start to die off because of infection.

If he screams when he moved it makes me think that some of the skewer might be still in there.

Best of luck.

while there are vets in other provinces, there are none down here.

in terms of human medical aid there isnt really enough to go around here for the humans, so dogs are low on their priority list in a province that was 90% underwater 3 weeks ago from that massive tyhpoon that flooded vietnam and laos. i can however get access to drugs without a problem, as there is nothing prescription here, you can buy over the counter for anything they can get their hands on. can possibly get hold of a drip and someone with training as a nurse to put it in, but will have to see how i go though.

for the skewer, it was actually a clean one rather than a used one. no bits broken off either, it all came out whole. what it looks like is its gone through the muscles at the back of the neck. he wont open hs mouth and screams if u try to make him swallow. trying where possible to get water in to him.

really do appreciate the help though. will update as i can

Tough situation.

If he were mine, I'd be sticking him on broad spectrum Ab as soon as I could, and if he wouldn't drink, would be getting an IV line into him if possible to keep him hydrated. Keep him warm. Feed him mushy or liquid food.

However, I'm not a qualified vet. Hopefully one of the forum vets will be able to give you more qualified advice.

All I can think is "Holy Crap!!" ..... that poor pup!!

I don't understand the geography of Laos. You talk of Vets in other "provinces". What sort of distance and travel time are you talking? To me the only way to know what to do would be to be in a position where the damage can be measured.

I'm not a Vet but the limited emergency measure of antibiotics and IV fluid drip makes sense to me.

Staranais - is it possible to overload a system with fluids if fluids aren't required?

Edited by Erny

I would be very concerned that there is still a piece of skewer stuck in his throat, especially if he yelps every time he moves his neck.

Are you able to open his mouth up very wide and have a look down there?

If you can, get hold of some Amoxycillin/Clavulinic acid injectables. I cant see the poor little guy being able to take tablets. The dose is 15-20mg/kg body weight. IV fluids would also be very useful.