November Challenge

tlc

Leeshy, what's your opinion on your subject matter not facing you in a portrait ? does it cease to be a portrait and become soemthing else ?

It's still a portrait :rofl: Portraits essentially capture the character of your subject. You can have environmental portraits that show your subject out doing what they do, like a hairdresser in their salon, farmer in the field, something that tells a part of the story, BUT you would still have them interacting with you as the photographer somehow, they wouldn't actually be working. If they were working, it would go into 'photo-journalism'.

This was Alex's entry to the portrait section of Aust Pro Photo Awards in 2008. Just missed out by one point on winning an award.

post-162-1257297649_thumb.jpg

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash, can I ask if you did photography at uni? or where you learnt? You photos are truly amazing and inspirational. :rofl:

long answer :rofl:

I did it back to front. I always liked taking photos but never thought much about photography as a career. I ended up working as a receptionist for the wholesaler of Pentax, Sigma and Hassleblad and had my hands on some very nice gear from day to day. I started playing around with the cameras during breaks and when I left to have my oldest son, I bought a flim slr.

I took lots of pictures of Ashley and friends loved them and asked me to take their kids photos... then I was asked to shoot a wedding for one of them and was told, "don't worry, we have a pro photographer there who has said it's okay if you take photos also." So I did, and when the pro photographer said, "that's it, I don't need anymore photos" I asked my friend if I could have ten minutes. The pro ended up shooting over my shoulder and my friend made an album with only my images.

So I did a couple of 'mock weddings' - got some girls and boys dressed up and practiced. Then I found two brides who were willing for me to shoot their weddings exceptionally cheap as a folio building exercise. I hated the photos and thought I would have to refund their money - they loved their photos. :rofl: So I advertised and because I was too cheap, I was incredibly busy... my work was good, i had a handle on composition, posing and capturing the essential moments, however I still had no idea what my camera actually did so I decided to go to TAFE. In one semester I figured out what I needed to know then started to get bored. I entered awards, had a tiny bit of success, dropped out of TAFE. Burnt out with my work. Decided I was never picking up a camera again.

Went and worked in mini-labs. That taught me a HUGE amount about colour and exposure. More then tafe did, more than talking to photographers did. You need to be able to look at an image and know within a second how to correct it.

Met Alex and he dragged me out (reluctantly) to weddings. Being the competitive people we are, we kept pushing each other to get better and better (and still do). We have been each other's greatest teachers... and then there are the masses of photographers who we now count as friends who are also our mentors.

I like shooting people, I like emotion. Weddings (and now births check out the blog ) suit me for this reason. I'm very lucky to do what I do. :rofl:

I'm still struggling with the basics :rofl:

I've spent hours upon hours of attempting to get the light right to capture the faces of the black Staffords, finally I think I have it, I've cracked a couple of them of late.

The subject of Poodie is a whole other story :rofl:

IMG_6490.jpg

Backlighting can be useful when in areas of hard light. You have essentially used backlighting here whether you meant to or not.

In this situation, you would slightly overexpose your image to bring up the skin tone.

(She's so cute :rofl: )

OMG I think I did it

Uploading now

Edit, i am glad you said about the subject facing you, mine was distracted but I got the blurry back ground and the sharp image I was looking for

Edited by Pandii

Yep, that's the right idea Pandii.

There are ways to get a dogs' attention. Anyone who has seen me take dog photos can vouch for the horrible strangled chicken noise that I make. Only about 1 in 20 don't look at me when I do it. :rofl:

ASH, my daughter ( above ) has just joined and wants to join in the photo challengers, she has a pentax optio s10, a point and shoot when you get time can you post some hints for her

Thanks

Pandii - right track, but you're a little too close to your subjects. I know it's hard with dogs because they keep coming towards you but a good rule to live by is that it's better to be further away and zoom in rather than in close using a wider angle.

I've never been able to join In, as It always seemed too hard a challenge :rofl:

But I have a couple of portrait shots from a couple of weeks ago, (I know, not November, but still fairly recent lol) not sure if they're ok, as have been post edited, Is that allowed??

Here they are

4073289715_d5573b1a4f.jpg

4010491087_7b528e3fa0.jpg