November Challenge

tlc

NOVEMBER CHALLENGE

Back to basics - Practicing on portraits (human or animal) for Av and capturing movement for Tv - if you are shooting manual, the world is your oyster!

Spread the word that this is a great time for people to jump into the challenges. This month will be re-examining shooting in AV and TV modes and for those who have a good grasp; you will be shooting in M mode only.

AV - Av is the aperture priority mode on your camera. Essentially, the smaller the number, the larger the opening/aperture is. In Av mode, you select the size of the aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed

Tv - is your shutter speed. If you are shooting something in motion, depending on the speed of your subject, you will want a shutter speed of at least 1/200th of a second. If you start playing with slow shutter speeds, you may want to use a tripod. When using the Tv mode, the camera will automatically set the aperture.

Manual - you need to set the ISO, Tv and Av yourself. The best way to learn manual mode is to keep it SIMPLE, check your results in the back of the camera and practice.

I'll post more about Av and Tv modes a bit later but right now I'm taking my human kids for a walk.

Thanks for the Challenge details Ash.

Troy could you please pin this thread? Thanks so much!!

Edited by tlc

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm here.

I only had two hours sleep a couple of nights ago then I was out last night and today I've been working. ;)

NOVEMBER CHALLENGE

Back to basics - Practicing on portraits (human or animal) for Av and capturing movement for Tv - if you are shooting manual, the world is your oyster!

Spread the word that this is a great time for people to jump into the challenges. This month will be re-examining shooting in AV and TV modes and for those who have a good grasp; you will be shooting in M mode only.

AV - Av is the aperture priority mode on your camera. Essentially, the smaller the number, the larger the opening/aperture is. In Av mode, you select the size of the aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed

Tv - is your shutter speed. If you are shooting something in motion, depending on the speed of your subject, you will want a shutter speed of at least 1/200th of a second. If you start playing with slow shutter speeds, you may want to use a tripod. When using the Tv mode, the camera will automatically set the aperture.

Manual - you need to set the ISO, Tv and Av yourself. The best way to learn manual mode is to keep it SIMPLE, check your results in the back of the camera and practice.

I'll post more about Av and Tv modes a bit later but right now I'm taking my human kids for a walk.

Edited by Ashanali

:thumbsup: yes I think they will notice

I will be up for this one, I need some great shots of the kids for christmas pressie, so portraits will be great, do we get a tutorial please

Some of us are still working out M setting

Oh I think Im gonna be the first to post a pic Yay!!

I took this one along with a lot of others for my xmas cards so some of you may have already seen it. I used M mode as i didnt want to use the flash and it was taken inside, it was one of my favorites, she is giving her paw to my Oh, but I love the look on her face!!

I used the 50mm lense

A f2/8

S 1/30

ISO 400 Im sure about the correct way to explain exif data??

My little Christmas Girl Tully Jo.

DSC_0124.jpg

edited to add, a little bit of tweaking in light room, but boy it is hard to take photos of white :thumbsup:

Edited by tlc

:D yes I think they will notice

I will be up for this one, I need some great shots of the kids for christmas pressie, so portraits will be great, do we get a tutorial please

Some of us are still working out M setting

Absolutely Pandii... it will have to wait until the morning though. If I start typing a long response now, my neglected husband will keep hounding me to ask when I'm getting off the computer. :thumbsup:

I just took the portrait photo for the photo5 competition today so I'll add it here:

I call it "self-portrait" - i have paperwork floating all around my house at the moment and everytime i sit down to do it, I want to fall asleep (probably because i'm doing long hours at the office at the moment!).

Camera: Canon EOS 450D

Exposure: 1/6

Aperture: f/4.0

Focal Length: 49 mm

ISO Speed: 800

Flash: Off

4063148855_177fdf39ca.jpg

I can't decide which one I like better

All the exif is the same for this shot but the focal length has changed to 34mm

4063156227_4a2c409791.jpg

I really can't decide - i can't upload them for photo 5 anyway at the moment so I have some time to see which one i like better anyway. Hopefully i'll actually be able to enter one of them but since the website isn't working and there's noone to let me know whether i can or can't upload them, i'll have to wait and see.