Fly's On Dog's

Hi everyone,

This has probably been done,but can't find it.I have two adult Lab's,one male,one female,the male's ear's are dreadful,I use TROY and The Purple Spray but the female is constantly licking it off the male's ear's so by the time i get home he is in a mess,does anyone have any suggestion's to either cover it (super bandaid's don't work)or stop the fly's and HER.I am open to any natural remedy's as well :offtopic:

Thank's Tina

I used to work for a large pet supply company and despite selling a huge variety of fly remedies the one that most of our customers swore by was vaseline mixed with citronella. The vaseline softens any scabs on the ears, creates a physical barrier and doesn't rub off easily so the citronella repels the flys.

Also if you have a litter in an outside run try using wood shavings (not sawdust) on the floor of the run. Just pick up any wet patches and poo at least two or three times a day and replace the whole lot once a week. The only smell is fom the shavings and the flys hate it. Much easier than newspaper with the added benefits of dry clean puppies, no odour and no flys.

Advantix by Bayer is the best thing, apply once a month and repels sandflies, stable flies, blowies and mozzies all over the dog.

We have 2 labs at work who used to suffer terribly and we use it over the summer for them. I used it on my old kelpie who got lots of bites to the ear tips it was fantastic. The flies just land then 2 seconds later they fly away.

Anything else is a waste of time and money IMO.

In a previous home I had a fly problem and used Vaseline and Permoxin. I would worry that the Citronella smell would be a constant negative for the dog. They have such a strong nose, I'm sure it would smell quite strong to them and they can't escape it.

I use organic ACV (from healthshop) mixed with water n wipe both inside & outside of their ears n surrounding areas.

It worked for me. :confused:

I also have ACV+water in a spraybottle which i regularly mist my 2 dogs, it acts as a insect repellant n lessen doggy odour (if any)..

Edited by tivins

I use just normal human grade "Rid" insect repellant (cream) for my GSD, works a treat for him.

I find that some years are worse the others with regards to biting flies although he hasn't had any since we moved into a semi rural area (???) however the problem was worse in suburbia.

ok,back to square one :rofl: again my pain in the butt bitch has decided all those thing's can be licked off also,even bought spray on bandage ,she licked that off as well.thinking the only thing to do is separate them till he's ear heal's (another pain)

:laugh: Tina

I use a bittering agent over the fly repellant to stop Jude from licking the cream off Zero's ears. She hates the taste. It's just one used for cows and horses to stop them from chewing on things.

Since we've used that when the dogs are together, I haven't had a problem with Jude wanting to eat Zero's ears.

The thing that worked best for my 3 GSD,s ears when I lived on a farm was that purple spray in a can, available from Vets and Produce stores. Cant think of its name at the moment, but I used it on the horse as well. Everything turns purple but it was good at stopping their ears from being bitten.

hey :hug: i'm not sure how relevant/applicable or even welcome this comment is- but i'll put it out there anyway lol

there is always the possibility of putting an elizabethan collar on your girl - it should (by rights heheh) limit her ability to lick your boy and allow his ears to heal? just a short term option that may help a bit to get that healing process going :-)