Beach Diarrhea

belgavion

So we moved close to the beach earlier this year and now our JRT has decided it is time to jump in the water with us during the hot weather. He previously only splashed a bit along the shoreline but now he is running in and chasing a ball/paddling around etc. He has been out twice with us.

First time I noticed an hour later that he had what looked to be a runny poo stain around his bum. I didn't see him do it so wiped him and then waited until he next defecated on a walk and he seemed ok with fairly normal poo.

Second time he was in the water a while and as we walked him home (just tonight) he stopped for an almighty blast of diarrhea that sprayed out in a light brown liquid mess. It was like a fire hydrant had burst in his lower bowels and an awful lot of water came out. He doesn't seem phased by it and still came home to drink fresh water and eat dinner merrily.

Is he just prone to what I've now found out through google is 'beach diarrhea' and there's no way around it other than limit his running in the water? Or can it be avoided by getting him to drink lots of fresh water in between running in? He loves it and I don't want to stop him having fun, especially since he has only just discovered going in the sea, but if it's going to make him sick every time I don't know what to do other than avoid it altogether.

Anyone else had experience with this?

Mine both suffer from the "salt water squirts", Darcy my older dog because she loves her ball so much and takes in quite a lot with retrieving it, and Zee my youngster because she likes to bite the waves. :rofl:

I always make sure they have access to fresh clean water at the beach, particularly on warm days as the salt will dehydrate them, and I have one of those spill proof water bowls in the back of the wagon.

From a clean up point of view, I make sure they've both had their "squirt" before I let them back in the car, so always finish off a beach session with a walk along the beach with no retrieving and no wave biting. Rarely have either ever needed more than one.

I don't find I have too much issue with it, but then again I'm not down the beach every day either.

Thanks for the replies. From reading a few sites it explains that it isn't an issue unless they get shaky or remain sick afterwards (which probably indicates a bacterial infection or something from the water). I would have thought that if it was something that kept happening each time it wouldn't be good for his system, although in a way you're right shoemonster it is a good way to clean out the intestines!

Thanks for the replies. From reading a few sites it explains that it isn't an issue unless they get shaky or remain sick afterwards (which probably indicates a bacterial infection or something from the water). I would have thought that if it was something that kept happening each time it wouldn't be good for his system, although in a way you're right shoemonster it is a good way to clean out the intestines!

I once saw an episoide of Dr Harry where a JRT was getting the squirts after being at the beach and he put it down to the fact that as the dog bounced through the water it was forcing water up into its rectum effectivly giving itself an enemma. He didn't see it as a big problem, but then I guess he's not the dog or the owner who has to clean up. :confused:

We went to the beach last saturday and Fletcher suffered from this.... but also vomited a lot and really just got majorly sick from drinking so much salt water. He got home and barely moved till the next morning, it was sad, because he had had so much fun that day!!

runbeach.jpg

I once saw an episoide of Dr Harry where a JRT was getting the squirts after being at the beach and he put it down to the fact that as the dog bounced through the water it was forcing water up into its rectum effectivly giving itself an enemma. He didn't see it as a big problem, but then I guess he's not the dog or the owner who has to clean up. :D

:confused: What? The rectum doesn't just sit there open letting water up it.....same as us!

I once saw an episoide of Dr Harry where a JRT was getting the squirts after being at the beach and he put it down to the fact that as the dog bounced through the water it was forcing water up into its rectum effectivly giving itself an enemma. He didn't see it as a big problem, but then I guess he's not the dog or the owner who has to clean up. :D

:confused: What? The rectum doesn't just sit there open letting water up it.....same as us!

yours doesn't???

My two both suffered from this when they first started swimming at the beach and Beanie would also throw-up after swallowing so much sea water fetching the ball. Luckily we lived within walking distance of the beach so could keep them in the yard for an hour or so afterwards till the squirts had stopped.

After a few swimming excursions they either got over it or learned to clench their buttocks :eek: before entering the water. They swam at the beach for about 18 months after that and it never happened again. Hopefully your little boy will overcome it too.

I once saw an episoide of Dr Harry where a JRT was getting the squirts after being at the beach and he put it down to the fact that as the dog bounced through the water it was forcing water up into its rectum effectivly giving itself an enemma. He didn't see it as a big problem, but then I guess he's not the dog or the owner who has to clean up. :eek:

Blimey I didn't even think of that. It makes more sense though because how could he have the squirts after only being out of the water a few minutes? I would've thought it'd take his body at least a short while to process swallowed sea water and then for it to turn into the mess I saw!

That's interesting if it is the case. Never thought I'd see my little fella give himself an enema!

Our boxers got this a fair bit from not having a tail, they would swim and then run around like jet ski's with water firing out their rear end. They never got sick from it.

Sabby gets it now and then but it never affects him afterwards.

I was going to start a thread about this - glad to hear my dog isn't the only one :D

We've just started going down the beach too, and Toby has been biting waves, and drinking a bit of water with his ball and as he walks in the shallows. He won't drink the normal water I try to give him instead, even though it's from the same container he happily drinks from at the park :)

Our first trip we got straight back in the car, and he threw up a heap of water and his breakfast after about 15 minutes, the 2nd time we went for a walk afterwards and he had the hot water firing out of his butt, and then he seemed fine. He was sleepy that night, but that could have been more from the exciting day with other dogs, people everywhere, and the beach. :thumbsup:

Number 3's :thumbsup:

I love that advert!!!!

I was really surprised reading this!!! My two go to the beach every day, and one of them drinks the seawater, and I've never seen any runny poos!

We spent ages down the beach yesterday afternoon, poor Darcy must've had a late onset of the squirts and wasn't able to wake me last night as I found a bit of a mess in my shower this morning. :thumbsup:

I'm still quite amazed that she figured out that was the best place to go :thumbsup: