Diet For Dogs With Pacreatitus

Robbi

My mothers small maltese x is recovering from a pancreatic attack which had her on the drip at the vet for a week :eek:

Mum now has her home but is unsure of what she can feed her, she was sold tins of the Hills science diet but Muffin is used to home prepared meals and wont touch the tinned food. She will eat steamed chicken breast but not the boiled rice.

She is very much Mums baby and we want to help her to avoid another attack if at all possible, any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My mothers small maltese x is recovering from a pancreatic attack which had her on the drip at the vet for a week :mad

Mum now has her home but is unsure of what she can feed her, she was sold tins of the Hills science diet but Muffin is used to home prepared meals and wont touch the tinned food. She will eat steamed chicken breast but not the boiled rice.

She is very much Mums baby and we want to help her to avoid another attack if at all possible, any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the key with pancreatitis is low fat. Cooked grain -- I think oatmeal or rice are preferable, combined with a low fat meat -- roo is great -- and some veggies, plus supplements such as flax seed, fish oil, and kelp, to make sure the trace elements and omega 3/6 etc are covered -- would do. I think this has been discussed before on this forum. You might want to do a search for +diet +pancreatitis.

My mothers small maltese x is recovering from a pancreatic attack which had her on the drip at the vet for a week :mad

I had a small dog with pancreatitis some years ago.

I still do the following today and the dogs just love it (without the l/d, though, that I used with my little girl). I cook a whole chicken in a large stockpot, let it cool and take out the chicken then shred the chicken meat taking care to ensure even the tiniest bones were out. Stand the stock overnight in the frig and then skim off the fat. Strain the stock through cloth (linen tea towel is good), freeze in several containers. I cook rice via the absorbtion method (one cup rice to four cups stock, bring to boil and simmer stirring every now and then until rice is cooked (looks like risotto).

With the girl who had pancreatitis, I used to use 1/3 chicken, 1/3 l/d and 1/3 rice. Today I buy large packets of diced frozen vegetables and lightly cook them in the stock as well, blend then mix into meat.

With just one dog, it is pretty easy and far from expensive. Probably a chicken and a few cans of l/d would last a week mixed in with the vegetables and rice.

Don't buy the chicken mince from pet shops because that is all the bone ground up and too fatty for a pancratitic dog.

Good luck. It isn't too difficult if you follow the rules.

My boy eats Royal Canin dry and canned and loves it. He also eats boiled chicken breast (breast only as it's the lowest in fat)

What is the name of the insulin she is on? Certain brands will make the dog always feel hungry, which helps if you have a fussy dog.

My boy eats Royal Canin dry and canned and loves it. He also eats boiled chicken breast (breast only as it's the lowest in fat)

What is the name of the insulin she is on? Certain brands will make the dog always feel hungry, which helps if you have a fussy dog.

I am not sure that she is on insulin, but I will ask mum. I know she is on clavulox for the next week :)

Thank you for your ideas, mum and I will start cooking.

I don't think she would be on insulin, unless she is diabetic as well.

My greyhound has had an attack of pancreatitus and I feed her the Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat dry and canned food, but for variation I give her some roo meet, (human grade), and also the BARF roo patties, she copes with them really well. Boiled chicken breasts too are fine.

Cooked oatmeal is also supposed to be good for them, and I do what Cynthia does with the veggies and mix them in with their food.

The treats I use are only 3% fat so they are OK. I have found that as long as treats etc are below 6% fat, they don't upset her at all.

Cooked oatmeal is also supposed to be good for them, and I do what Cynthia does with the veggies and mix them in with their food.

Fat is the problem, so you have to be vigilant about treats etc. I have to be careful if I have doggy friends here and they give my whippies treats that they don't give Ebony anything that is not low in fat. People sometimes don't realise that just one little piece of cheese could cause an attack.

good luck,

Trish

One of my girls has had a problem for some time now - I feed her the Hills Science I/D.

I tried feeding fresh food I cooked but found that she could also not tolerate rice in her diet.

I now boil up chicken legs, remove all the bones and fat, shread it and put it in a big container with the stock which turns to jelly.

I then put the chicken in smaller containers and freeze them.

She has a small amount of chicken and juices with a bit extra water warmed and drizzled over the dry food and she loves it.

Of course she will always want the other kind of foods but now at least she is pain, etc. and diahorrea free.