Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Kennel Cough.....from WikiBoth viral and bacterial causes of kennel cough are spread through the air by infected dogs sneezing and coughing. It can also spread through contact with contaminated surfaces and through direct contact. It is highly contagious, even days or weeks after symptoms disappear. Symptoms begin usually 3 to 5 days after exposure.[

Symptoms

Symptoms can include a harsh, dry hacking/coughing, retching, sneezing, snorting, gagging or vomiting in response to light pressing of thetrachea or after excitement or exercise. The presence of a fever varies from case to case. The disease can last initially from 10-20 days and can rebreak when the dog is put into a stressful situation which puts stress on the dog's immune system. Diagnosis is made by seeing these symptoms; having a history of exposure is also helpful but not always found, as kennel cough is easily spread through contact with contaminated surfaces such as the ground, toys, and sidewalks.

Ptolomy, how long ago was it Perth wouldn't let you compete? I know at a recent trial someone did.

RV all guidelines I have seen say either 2 weeks after cough finishes or 3 weeks after cough starts for quarantine. ADAA have very well written guidelines about KC and they even have it as a notifiable disease :)

Yes I had a look around too Ptolomy and it says anywhere from as soon as coughing stops until 16 weeks! :eek: I think the 3-5 days bit is probably wrong tough! I kept the dogs isolated after the show for 6 days, I took Zora out on the 7th day as I thought she didn't have it by then and that night (last night) she coughed the first time.

I will keep the dogs in for two weeks from the first cough I guess (lord help me!). Toby has not coughed, and the Gun Dog Club obedience is 13 days from when Zora first coughed, this means Toby is withdrawn right?

KC often surfaces after the Royal. Add stress to lots of dogs in a confined space and the time of year when its prevalent...not surprising. One year I had an oldie, a youngster and Jasper in his prime...yep Jasper got KC! He only coughed a couple of times but I kept them all isolated for 2 weeks after the last cough. Maluka honey is good to help sooth the throat and the dogs love it :)

Maybe contact DogsWest tomorrow and see what their official quarantine period is for KC.

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have one ;) I think 2 weeks from last cough sounds fair, I will just use ADAA method. Zora has not coughed since earl this morning but no doubt will start again in the cool evening. However it seems to be very mild compared to last time my dogs had it, that time Lilly was bringing up foam and very short of breath - had to go on AB's and Lincoln was coughing heaps, surprisingly Toby has been unaffected so far!

Mirawee - One year blends into another it wasn't last year but ? the year before. I was going to take my bat and ball and head home, but remember hanging around and doing some training instead. I also didn't make a song and dance about it wink.gif

RV I am not taking him to the vet unless he gets worse, he is on antibiotics atm anyway but I really dont think he has KC as he runs around like a hoon and no cough, like I said I think its when he gets stuff stuck in this throat from chewing stuff. Found him eating string off the curtain this am :eek: Also he only started coughing after he started chewing the canvas off Masons bed....

I have spent $600 on him and his tooth already so not keen for another vet visit unless he really needs it.

I have emailed the vet to ask if his symptoms fit KC at all but I doubt it, I was thinking he may have some form of worms as he had to skip his 12 week vacs due to his antibiotics but he got dewormed a few days ago.

Had to skip his 12 week deworming i mean until this week lol

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

lots to catch up on!!

Rusky I hope that you are feeling better after your bad day... really awful although the PJ's would have added just a little humour to the situation..

you need to update us with some eccles photos soon!

RV still no coughing at my house although dogs been kept in since last week with the exception of lulu who was out yesterday with you!! JT has started though - no cough but a really runny nose poor lovey. Just one of those things but I feel bad for his owners since he's snotting all over their house!

In other news, Ari came into season yesterday... and James has shown NO interest in her at all. Not sure exactly what is wrong with him because usually two days before she comes in he starts following her around like a lost puppy, panting and clicking. very strange!! Anyway, he's off for a holiday at Faolmor's house while Aneira comes to me. Musical dogs again!!

lots to catch up on!!

Rusky I hope that you are feeling better after your bad day... really awful although the PJ's would have added just a little humour to the situation..

you need to update us with some eccles photos soon!

RV still no coughing at my house although dogs been kept in since last week with the exception of lulu who was out yesterday with you!! JT has started though - no cough but a really runny nose poor lovey. Just one of those things but I feel bad for his owners since he's snotting all over their house!

In other news, Ari came into season yesterday... and James has shown NO interest in her at all. Not sure exactly what is wrong with him because usually two days before she comes in he starts following her around like a lost puppy, panting and clicking. very strange!! Anyway, he's off for a holiday at Faolmor's house while Aneira comes to me. Musical dogs again!!

Just a note of caution for anyone that was in Bunbury at the small BDDC show on the weekend, we have had a lot of KC down here over the last few weeks!

Guess I should have posted before but been busy ( sorry)

J

RV when i was visiting Gibbs when he was infected with KC as a small pup my vet said as soon as they stop coughing they are not contagious anymore. From what i have read its when they cough that the virus gets airborne and it then spreads. I was very worried that Mason would catch it but touch wood has never had KC. Guess his reaction to the vac at 10 weeks put him off for life lol...

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

Dogs are never completely immune to KC i don't think - there are too many strains.

Mine all appear to be fine for teh moment. I thought i saw an inkling from Lulu on Saturday afternoon but nothing since then... although it's only a matter of time really given that she was exposed to Zora on the weekend, so even if she didn't pick it up fromZora or JT the weekend before at the show, it's likely she'll get it soon. Poor JT is off to the vet this morning. Still bright and eating, but the fluid from his runny nose has become discoloured. Hopefully he'll be ok.

In the meantime, James still hasn't noticed Ari is in season... not sure why but he will still be holidaying soon.

Yeah ST you are right they are never 100% immune to it. I will keep a close eye on my two, they have not been directly exposed to a dog who has it - I know my friends flatcoat shared a bench with Zora and we trained with her on monday but so far she is fine. Its doing the rounds though atm I hear.