To Clip Or Not To Clip...

Shoshana

I definitely would NOT clip your dog. Double coated breeds are NOT meant to be clipped... EVER. These breeds use their coats as part of their cooling system. It insulates them against the heat and without the coat they have difficulty regulating their body heat.

Be sensible about it and use other methods to provide shelter and cooling for your dog.

My two (both double coated breeds) cope perfectly fine in summer.

I definitely would NOT clip your dog. Double coated breeds are NOT meant to be clipped... EVER. These breeds use their coats as part of their cooling system. It insulates them against the heat and without the coat they have difficulty regulating their body heat.

Be sensible about it and use other methods to provide shelter and cooling for your dog.

I agree 100%

please dont clip her, she looks amazing and has my OH seriously thinking about a TT again :laugh:

I agree 100%

please dont clip her, she looks amazing and has my OH seriously thinking about a TT again :thumbsup:

Never ever ever clip a double coated breed. I used to have Samoyeds, Keeshonds & Chows for 20 years. They are much cooler with their coats than a short haired breed - up to 5 to 10% cooler in fact. The coat is not just there to keep them warm in cold climes but also to keep them cool & protect them from the elements. Clipping a double coat only makes the heat worse for them.

Giving the dogs cool drinks with ice blocks in them etc. is much better for them.

I agree with all who had said not to clip the coats. I'd rather rack up a massive aircon bill, than clip their gorgeous coats.

I'd suggest cool water, iceblocks, cool coats/mats and if you can, hose them down regularly. I hose my two dogs down regularly on hot days to keep them cool [they generally then go roll on my bed, evil buggers! :thumbsup:]

I agree with all who had said not to clip the coats. I'd rather rack up a massive aircon bill, than clip their gorgeous coats.

I'd suggest cool water, iceblocks, cool coats/mats and if you can, hose them down regularly. I hose my two dogs down regularly on hot days to keep them cool [they generally then go roll on my bed, evil buggers! :thumbsup:]

Just make sure you take the excess water off their coats. Leaving coats soaking wet actually encourages the water to retain heat. Same with racehorses - which is why you see them slicked off after a hose down.

Just make sure you take the excess water off their coats. Leaving coats soaking wet actually encourages the water to retain heat. Same with racehorses - which is why you see them slicked off after a hose down.

Yes should have mentioned that! I drop a towel over their backs and run my hands up and down their backs and sides to soak up most of the water.

Yes should have mentioned that! I drop a towel over their backs and run my hands up and down their backs and sides to soak up most of the water.

oh shi%* - I hosdd pete down this morning but didn't realise I had to towel up the excess!! :laugh:

It was still coolish then so hopefully dried off before heated up :S

oh shi%* - I hosdd pete down this morning but didn't realise I had to towel up the excess!! :laugh:

It was still coolish then so hopefully dried off before heated up :S

Go to a saddlery and buy a plastic water scraper... looks like a gigantic shoe horn and you run it over the sides of the dog to pull off the excess water - they work a treat on the larger dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd suggest cool water, iceblocks, cool coats/mats and if you can, hose them down regularly. I hose my two dogs down regularly on hot days to keep them cool [they generally then go roll on my bed, evil buggers! :)]

Me too. I would much rather have a massive aircon bill than clip a coat that is not supposed to be clipped.

I do pretty much all the things Ravyk suggested.

I wouldnt clip because it wont make any difference.

TT survive in show coats daily with no issues at all.

Panting is how a dog cools it self & many people confuse this with suffering.

I have long coat show dogs & even when retired there never clipped off until elderly.

TT coats are so easy to maintain & the greater majority off breeders are in QLD where the heat is far more regular than what you experience .

There coats arent thick so when clipped it will look funny

How short will you clip??

I was thinking number 3? But after reading what you're saying I realize she would look even more ridiculous then she does now (refer to the picture below - that's Rosie in the car, in case you're wondering what's on the pic).

post-24183-1258582287_thumb.jpg

Love the photo :)