Toddler Attacked By Dog In Hair Salon

The Spotted Devil

Oh for christs sake. I give up. Obviously dogs should be allowed anywhere they like and we should all leave our children at home in their cages.

FCOL, if that was in response to my post where on earth have I said anything of the sort?

Or do you think it's not your responsibility to look out for your kids when they are around strange dogs? Do you assume that every dog owner is responsible and dog savvy enough to do it for you?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i could say the child shouldn't have been in the shop and then we go round and round again getting nowhere.

:) Just when are you (and others) going to GET IT?

A hairdressing salon is open for business to cut the hair of adult and junior humans - i.e., CHILDREN!

Having children there to have their hair cut is how they make their money to open the doors and stay in business!

THAT IS THEIR CORE BUSINESS AND CHILDREN HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE THERE IN SAFETY.

A hairdressing salon is not the local DOGGY DAY CARE CENTRE - nor is it the DOGGY LUNCH ROOM!

:) ;) :eek: (steam is now coming off this keyboard!)

Souff

edited for grammar

yes because hairdressers are all about safety with their scissors, spiky objects, hot presses, crimpers, bleach etc.. Sorry but a child shouldnt be allowed to roam around a hairdressers period because it isnt a safe area.. What if the kid decided that cup of bleach next to an old lady getting her hair done might be yoghurt..

A person has every right to take their pets to work if they wish, its their workplace, possibly even their home, the same rights as a mother has to taking her own kids to work to her own business. Pets in the workplace has been a slowly growing fad as it lowers stress levels, many high end companies like google allow and promote people on bringing their pets to work (so long as they behave) to increase working abilities. There is no black and white in a business, you cant say something doesnt belong in the workplace just because you think it doesn't, there is actually a day celebrated overseas which is take your pet to work day in june annually.

Oh dear, another one. ;)

This child was NOT "roaming" around the salon.

Do you know anything about Occupational Health and Safety laws?

Do you know anything about the responsibilities that business owners have in relation to creating a safe environment for their customers?

Do you realise how much damage is done to the rest of the dog world every time a child is attacked by a dog?

No, I dont think you would. :heart:

Souff

Oh for christs sake. I give up. Obviously dogs should be allowed anywhere they like and we should all leave our children at home in their cages.

well really that would suit me perfectly :)

Then perhaps it might also suit you to offer to pay the medical bills that this family will be paying out for the rounds of plastic surgery for their beautful little girl, to repair hideous scarring to her face as she grows?

:)

Souff

That the dog was eating a bone really shouldn't make a difference. Dogs can resource guard inanimate objects, any scrap of food they can get their paws on etc. I know kids who have been bitten by a dog resource guarding a bowl of kibble. What the dog was eating is not important. The dog was eating, it should have been confined and that little girl should not have been anywhere near it. She could have done something as simple as look the dog in the eye to have set it off. She was obviously close enough to the dog for it to grab her quickly without warning (or without warning that the owners or parents could recognise).

I don't think the parents are solely to blame but I do think any parent should be responsible for their children when they are around strange dogs.

Huski,

Bottom line is that this dog should not have been in the hairdressing salon; neither should its bone.

I think you will find that the local council's ordinances would not permit it.

And I will say it again. Dog attacks like these happen with LIGHTNING SPEED. No parent or staff member would have been fast enough to prevent this child being injured, if it is anything like the attacks I have seen, and by Lisash's account is was exactly like that.

For those who have never witnessed an attack like this firsthand, it would be educational for you to see some film footage, but I am not sure where to send you. If anyone knows where there is anything about dog attacks on film, you might like to direct these people to it.

Ignorance of this aspect of dog attacks is not blissful; it is dangerous.

Souff

well really that would suit me perfectly :)

Then perhaps it might also suit you to offer to pay the medical bills that this family will be paying out for the rounds of plastic surgery for their beautful little girl, to repair hideous scarring to her face as she grows?

:)

Souff

i feel very badly for the little girl so don't try to emotionally blackmail me it doesn't work.

i however do not like little children in the hairdressers when i go there. they cry and are noisy and want to run around and if they cant they get grizzly and annoying.

so how about i go to another salon...now that is my choice, just like it was the parents choice to leave after they saw the dog.

Emotional blackmail? You have got to be kidding! :)

As if I would bother .....

I just thought that you might like to spare a thought for the consequences of irresponsibility and stupidity.

We all have to share the hairdressers, no matter what the age difference is.

By the account that has been given by Lisash, this little 20 month old girl was hardly behaving badly. She was with her mother.

And now she is traumatised and scarred.

All too sad and totally unnecessary.

Souff

Another reason why I don't go to the hairdresser and my hair is below my arse, it sounds like a dangerous place with "feral" children running around unsupervised, dogs eating their lunch on the floor, doggy and kid germs eeww :)

If in another lifetime that I do venture into one of these places I will remember to keep my hands to myself and my eyes firmly focused on my hands.

I am truly sorry for that poor child, her family and of course the dog, but really how was the dog under "effective control" if it's owner was focusing on cutting someones hair.

And Souff :)

OMFG!! This thread more than any other i've read on DOL forums has me convinced that when it comes to dogs, some people are absolute NUTTERS!!!

Talk about rose-tinted glasses!! :)

Can't understand, given the additional information we've received, how anyone could defend the dogs right to be uncontained in any way, whilst eating a bone, in a salon open to the PUBLIC!! Which includes little people! Yup, they have absolutely every right to be in the salon! It is a societal norm for children to accompany their parents to hairdressing salons, and whilst hairdressers may not appreciate their presence, you can guarantee they're not surprised by it, therefore should be prepared for it!!

I am truly sorry for that poor child, her family and of course the dog, but really how was the dog under "effective control" if it's owner was focusing on cutting someones hair.

The same argument could be put forward about the child and parent

but

There are no winners here.

OMFG!! This thread more than any other i've read on DOL forums has me convinced that when it comes to dogs, some people are absolute NUTTERS!!!

Talk about rose-tinted glasses!! :laugh:

Can't understand, given the additional information we've received, how anyone could defend the dogs right to be uncontained in any way, whilst eating a bone, in a salon open to the PUBLIC!! Which includes little people! Yup, they have absolutely every right to be in the salon! It is a societal norm for children to accompany their parents to hairdressing salons, and whilst hairdressers may not appreciate their presence, you can guarantee they're not surprised by it, therefore should be prepared for it!!

Unfortunately some will really only get the message when it happens to their child, or their baby sister.

And while they have their head so firmly stuck in the sand, they remain one of the greatest threats to dog ownership in this country.

Souff

I don't think anyone here has said the dog should be allowed to be free inside the salon. From what I've read over the entire topic, people disagree with the situation of the dog, and disagree on the situation of the toddler.

I am not saying Lisash is incorrect in her statement but of course this is the internet and without seeing it first hand, I have no idea what the real story is and being human am more likely to follow the article than word of mouth whether one or the other is correct.

Dog should have been restrained and far away from any customers when it was eating the bone, let alone been there at all. I think most of us agree on that.

However I still feel that a child as young as that needed to be kept away from the animal as, at the end of the day as previously stated, the dog was there, no matter how much we disagree about it being allowed in the salon. I have experienced first hand how fast a dog attack can be, once owning a nipper, but it still remains, by what it sounds like, that child was in very close proximity to the eating dog - obviously close enough for there to be no reaction time for the parents, and for me, that's too close. Of course it isn't my child but if it was, no matter how blase and 'she'll be right' the owner was, I certainly would be keeping a distance for the safety of my child as I know too well how unpredictable a dog can be especially when it comes to resource guarding.

So from what it appears to me:

Dog owner had confidence in the dog that it would be fine, sadly not 100% dog savvy and thus was overly relaxed.

Parents obviously not totally dog savvy, thus believing the dog owner and being more relaxed.

Both these situations come from ignorance. Is ignorance an excuse for either party that one was right and the other wrong? Certainly not.

As I've said before I feel terribly for the little girl and my belief that both parties were at a certain degree of fault certainly doesn't change that.

Hey everyone... I've read all comments and appreciate both sides to the story.. May I firstly say it was a tragedy.. If I could perhaps just mention a few points that weren't through any form of the media - I work on the street and am completely unbiased as I do not know either parties but have heard the same facts from different people unrelated.. Firstly the dog was sitting away from the salon area and the clients - which is accessed by a few stairs.. Secondly the mother was in the salon area apparently watching the kids.. And lastly both the child AND the dog are innocent.. They both r just acting on instinct.. Possibly the child wandered up the stairs and may have wanted to play with the dog whilst he was eating.. And he may have just been provoked.. I do believe every party has their side of the story.. And every dog owner would understand the relationship b/w their pet and his/her food.. Fair enough that some of you'll have commented that a dog should not have been eating in the salon in the first place.. but on the other hand at the time he was not in the area of the clientele.. Maybe we should approach this with an open mind and dig a little deeper into our conscience before we make a judgement call on the life of another living creature...............

Kyliegirl, did you even read all the threads here? Including the one from the person who knows exactly what happened? The dog approached the child who was standing next to her mother.

No one knows what exactly happened.. the father was getting his haircut.. the mother let the toddler wander off.. the dog was eating.. and the hairdresser was cutting.. so on-one has a clue.. its all assumptions.........

Maybe we should approach this with an open mind and dig a little deeper into our conscience before we make a judgement call on the life of another living creature...............

We don't make the judgement call on the life of the dog DOglover06.

The officers who have to deal with the dog have that awful task and many of them love dogs.

We could dig into our conscience and spare a thought for the vet and nurse who have to give this dog his last needle.

That is their grim role and I can assure you that they would rather be doing happier things.

Every dog attack on children is yet another black mark against dogs in Australia.

As owners and breeders we all carry the consequences as more and more legislation is written and tightened. It wont go away, let me assure you.

None of this is necessary if people will understand what their responsibilities are as dog owners and carry out those responsibilities properly.

We ALL have these responsibilities and we CANNOT always have our dogs everywhere we would like to have them.

Souff

I own and breed dogs and run a hairdressing business from home....firstly, by law my dogs are not allowed in the salon however I have many doggy friends and if they crate their dogs on hot days whilst having their own hair done I will allow their dogs into the air con salon, only if I have no other clients coming in whilst they are in or afterwards.

My floor is always vaccumed and washed afterwards!

Most of my clients children are well supervised and are a delight to have around whilst their parents are having their hair done but I have had a few on the odd occasions those that are little terrors ...some parents leave it up to the business owner or staff to watch over their kids...not this little black duck!!! if they don't behave in a reasonable manner I let them know and if the parent doesn't like what I have to say, they can find another hairdresser...must admit in my 23 years of hairdressing I've only had to sternly speak to 2 kids!

I will be surprised if council doesn't fine the salon owner for having her dog in there.....shame, I would like nothing more than to have my dogs to be around me 24/7 but work is work and the law is the law.

Hopefully the little girl will be OK

The bottom line here people is:........Any responsible Dog owner should not trust any dog around children especially when it was eating a bone? Some people just do get it! It is the shop owners stupidity that allowed this to happen even if the dog has never bitten anyone before and why the hell was it loose in the shop it should of been out the back away from customers, The parents of the child would be entitled to sue shop owner for negligence and medical bills also. Also now people are going to start bagging huskies saying they're obviously savage is just a case of stupid owner as per usual!.

i however do not like little children in the hairdressers when i go there. they cry and are noisy and want to run around and if they cant they get grizzly and annoying..

Find one that has a playroom. Easy.