Parvo Or Not?

minky

I had 3 litters of puppies and am loosing them quickly. Out of 19 pups I've lost 8 and have one quite depressed. They are inside and I watch them carefully every day.

To start off I took litter 1 (6 pups) to the Vets on the Monday aged 7 weeks to be vaccinated and microchipped. All were happy healthy pups. Over night I lost one pup on the wednesday, 1 on the Friday, 2 on the Saturday and one today and the last one has the runs and am treating him. they just died with no symtoms or hardly any symtoms except some fluid around the mouth and it was as if they went anorexic over night, I couldn't believe it.

Littler 2 went to the Vets on the Friday for microchip & vaccination aged 6 weeks. On the Monday I rushed one little girl to the vet and he tested for parvo, said it was just a tad over the positive mark. I took her home and was treating her with injections of fluid every 3 hours and antibiotics every 8 hours. Ithas been a week tomorrow since I have been treating her. She is the smallest at 630 gms but hanging in but not playful and deppressed.

I rushed back into the vet on that same day with a boy from litter 3 but the vet said he was fine, no temp etc. Sadly I lost him and his brother yesterday morning and a sister today.

I've been beside myself and have put remaining pups on antibiotics. I treatall with Baycox and am adding glucose to they're water. All seem ok, they are eating and drinking and playing.

Only some had a little of the runs, one was green poo. I'd say the fluid around the mouth was probably vomit/fluid.

Is anyone experiencing the same or have you heard of anything like this? I had a pup die of parvo 3 years ago and her symtoms were so different. She was vomiting, had the most vile smelling runs!

Any help would be appreciated as it's breaking my heart.

Minky :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pup die of parvo 3 years ago and her symtoms were so different. She was vomiting, had the most vile smelling runs!

Sorry to hear you are losing your pups.

You say you have had a pup die of parvo in the past, was this at the same property you are currently at?

I had a pup die of parvo 3 years ago and her symtoms were so different. She was vomiting, had the most vile smelling runs!

Sorry to hear you are losing your pups.

You say you have had a pup die of parvo in the past, was this at the same property you are currently at?

Yes it was the same property, it was about 3 years ago. I'd purchased her and only had her a few weeks.

I've sprayed the yard many times with bleach and am now waiting on F10 to arrive.

Parvo can also affect the heart muscle in puppies - I have seen litters of gorgeous 6-8 week old pups just die..... no intestinal symptoms at all...Just sudden death, later confirmed to be parvovirus.

I've heard this but it happens so quickly and almost without warning.

I had 3 litters of puppies and am loosing them quickly. Out of 19 pups I've lost 8 and have one quite depressed. They are inside and I watch them carefully every day.

To start off I took litter 1 (6 pups) to the Vets on the Monday aged 7 weeks to be vaccinated and microchipped. All were happy healthy pups. Over night I lost one pup on the wednesday, 1 on the Friday, 2 on the Saturday and one today and the last one has the runs and am treating him. they just died with no symtoms or hardly any symtoms except some fluid around the mouth and it was as if they went anorexic over night, I couldn't believe it.

Littler 2 went to the Vets on the Friday for microchip & vaccination aged 6 weeks. On the Monday I rushed one little girl to the vet and he tested for parvo, said it was just a tad over the positive mark. I took her home and was treating her with injections of fluid every 3 hours and antibiotics every 8 hours. Ithas been a week tomorrow since I have been treating her. She is the smallest at 630 gms but hanging in but not playful and deppressed.

I rushed back into the vet on that same day with a boy from litter 3 but the vet said he was fine, no temp etc. Sadly I lost him and his brother yesterday morning and a sister today.

I've been beside myself and have put remaining pups on antibiotics. I treatall with Baycox and am adding glucose to they're water. All seem ok, they are eating and drinking and playing.

Only some had a little of the runs, one was green poo. I'd say the fluid around the mouth was probably vomit/fluid.

Is anyone experiencing the same or have you heard of anything like this? I had a pup die of parvo 3 years ago and her symtoms were so different. She was vomiting, had the most vile smelling runs!

Why so many litters at once?

Have you been breeding for a long time. If you have already had a case of parvo on your property albeit 3 years ago, then you must of been aware that the virus can live in the soil for many years.

Why vaccinate so early. Was the dam of all the puppies vaccinated.

Has the vet confirmed it is parvo or not? What do you mean a tad over the positive mark. If she had just been vaccinated then she would have a positive test. A live vaccine is used.

If you have had puppies sick from one litter why vaccinate the rest of the litters when you know that something is not right.

Their immune system could be compromised.

Yep all these questions.

No I am not being insensitive.

Sorry to hear about your pups, when I was in rescue I watched many of my pups from the pounds/surrended suffer from this horrible virus. I moved house to a upperclass town and we never see parvo in any of our vets now.

Just some advice. F10 does NOT kill parvo in the yard/dirt/ground. It only kills it on hard no porporus surfaces like your concrete and tiles.

Virkon S is the only product that will kill parvo in the yard/dirt/ground/wood ect.

Normal household bleach does NOT kill parvo. You need industrial strength bleach, the type that you must wear a mask and gloves because it will burn your skin.

I would seperate all your litters. Ensure they are on clean concret so you know what is going on with their poos, as soon as you see a runny bloody one get them out of there. Get them off your grass.

But just to be safe, I would be taking everyone to the vet and getting a parvo test done. It will work out cheaper than loosing the entire litter. Pups can give a positive reading even though they have no symtoms, but tomorrow they could be dead. A parvo test is either positive or negative, there is no inbetween.

Green poo generally means they may have eaten something in the garden...

Parvo will live in your ground for approx 7 years.

My question back to you is, why the heck have you got so many litters? and what breed are these pups?

Edited by nickojoy

they are all quite young and if you have parvo on the property the vaccine has sapped them all of their maternal antibodies

no point parvo testing any vaccinated pup will turn up positive on a snap test, even a lab blood test. I know my own dog went through the same thing, vaccinated on a sunday and monday morning sick, then 3 weeks in hospital

why are you not leaving the sick pup at the vet? A week listless is not good, why not on an IV under medical supervision? Quarentine all the other puppies, you may be cross contaminating between the litters and if the mother are going out into the yard together then they will drag things back to their pups.

I too have to ask why you have 19 pups on the ground at once. And why are you treating them all with antibiotics - the dead puppies should be autopsied and the sick ones blood tests/cultures done. Parvo is a virus, antibiotics do little unless there is a secondary problem (which there usually is)

It certainly doesn't sound like classical parvo but there are so many other potential causes and problems here and more investigation is definately needed. Might I reccomend an autopsy of one of the dead pups and go from there. And the test being positive tells you nothing within a week of vaccination. If it was me I would be looking elsewhere.

Have you been breeding for a long time. If you have already had a case of parvo on your property albeit 3 years ago, then you must of been aware that the virus can live in the soil for many years.

Has the vet confirmed it is parvo or not? What do you mean a tad over the positive mark. If she had just been vaccinated then she would have a positive test. A live vaccine is used.

If you have had puppies sick from one litter why vaccinate the rest of the litters when you know that something is not right.

Yep all these questions.

While in hospital recovering from surgery my girls came on season together! My daughter was staying here minding my dogs. And actually 2 of the girls were early.

I've been breeding for about 6 years.

My Vet told me Parvo can live in the soil for up to 12 months and I think it may be a bit longer in shaded or damp areas.(he never said 3 years) plus my pups had not been outside in that area, I have fenced off areas. The puppy area is always washed down with a Vet used disinfectant as well.

I have always had my pups 1st vaccination at 6 weeks as that's what my vet recommends.

All my dogs are kept up to date with vaccinations, heatworm, worming and flea treated.

Only one pup from one litter had been sick when the 2nd litter was vaccinated if you would care to read again.

and yes you do seem insensitive to a certain extent and I'm not an idiot! I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this type of parvo before! Or if someone could shed some light on whats going on with any breakouts.

I'd imagine the only way you're going to find out what the pups are dying is to have the vet perform a necropsy on one of the pups that has passed on.

Parvo can be identified by a blood test can't it?

I think you need less guess work but more testing. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry for the loss of the pups.

It certainly doesn't sound like classical parvo but there are so many other potential causes and problems here and more investigation is definately needed. Might I reccomend an autopsy of one of the dead pups and go from there. And the test being positive tells you nothing within a week of vaccination. If it was me I would be looking elsewhere.

That's what I thought as there wasn't the usual parvo symtoms. I was told the autopsy would have to be done on a fresh body (just died). I will be looking into this futher, it just there's so many different opinions around.

While in hospital recovering from surgery my girls came on season together! My daughter was staying here minding my dogs. And actually 2 of the girls were early.

My Vet told me Parvo can live in the soil for up to 12 months and I think it may be a bit longer in shaded or damp areas.(he never said 3 years) plus my pups had not been outside in that area, I have fenced off areas. The puppy area is always washed down with a Vet used disinfectant as well.

I have always had my pups 1st vaccination at 6 weeks as that's what my vet recommends.

All my dogs are kept up to date with vaccinations, heatworm, worming and flea treated.

Only one pup from one litter had been sick when the 2nd litter was vaccinated if you would care to read again.

and yes you do seem insensitive to a certain extent and I'm not an idiot! I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this type of parvo before! Or if someone could shed some light on whats going on with any breakouts.

If your vet told you Parvo can live in the soil for 12 months then your vet knows crap.

If you were sick at the time your girls came into season and the litters were unplanned then that is wrong.It does happen yes but it never makes it right. What breeds are they?

No I am not insensitive really. Parvo is parvo.

If one of the puppies tested just a tad over ???????? then that puppy should of stayed with the vet in a parvo area not sent back home.

Unless autopsys have been performed then it could be anything.

Yes parvo can be detected by a blood test.

How many litters have you bred in the 6 years?

Sounds like a few

I'd imagine the only way you're going to find out what the pups are dying is to have the vet perform a necropsy on one of the pups that has passed on.

Parvo can be identified by a blood test can't it?

I think you need less guess work but more testing. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry for the loss of the pups.

Yes it can be tested by doing blood work. My vet did the test on a stool sample.

Pull your head in Stonebridge. Obviously you are perfect :)

So sorry for the loss of your pups Minky. Must be devastating for you. Hope you get to the bottom of the cause.

its the real world out there gareth

just in case no one has clicked

perfect, I am far from it.

Have never claimed to be

yes it must be devastating to lose puppies,

Yep all these questions.

No I haven't had many litters at all so please don't judge until you know the facts.

the surgery I had was NOT due to being sick! I'd had an accident and had to have reconstruction surgery and to have pins and a plate put in because of brakes and fractures.

Due to being a small town our vet was already full in the o/n care room so he told me to take my pup home to treat. I was injecting fluids every 3 hours and injecting antibiotics every 8 hours. I'm doing this alone at present. Don't you think i would have preferred my pup to be there on a drip. When I drove to the vets yesterday morning to pickup more antibiotics they met me outside on the footpath!

When I say the test showed a tad over on the maker it was like a white square with a line in the middle and a red stripe just went over the positive side. No blood test was done. And actually they couldn't get me and my pup out quick enough because of parvo coming up positive.