Dogs Eating Dirt

shmoo

A friend has two cavaliers (boy and girl), both appear healthy, good weight, vaccinated, wormed, regular flea/tick treated and desexed.

They have a diet of crushed chicken necks in the morning and royal canin dry at night. No extra treats or human snacks on top of their food.

They have started eating dirt to the point where their poo is coming out looking like dirt.

I googled it and got many different answers - anybody have any experience with this?

Nothing extra.

Boredom could be right, but they do get to go out. Maybe they need some mental stimulation?

Think I will suggest changing their diet to a complete dry food product only and see if that makes a difference.

Guest belgian.blue

My dog eats dirt at the park we go to sometimes, esp if the soil is damp/wet.

I was told they like the taste, of the nutrients contained in the soil.

My cavalier loves to eat dirt, twigs and grass.

He has a very balanced diet of a barf pattie with Royal Canin dry plus some days he has sardines, yogurt, eggs, raw bones.

I think it is because he is 6 months old and still exploring the world around him and having some fun. I am hoping he will grow out of it as I do worry about what he puts in his mouth.

How old are your friends cavs?

They have started eating dirt to the point where their poo is coming out looking like dirt.

What do you mean by "looking like dirt". I'm imagining a stool that comprises a good part of dirt through and through. Is that what you mean? If that's the case, I wouldn't think that's good (although better out than in, so to speak).

That both dogs are doing this indicates to me a possible dietary deficiency. She could try giving the dogs some mineral water. I've not needed to do this myself, but I know of others who have and their dogs stopped eating dirt as a result.

If this improves the situation then it indicates diet does need to be adjusted.

Edited by Erny

I agree with Erny, sounds like a dietary deficiency. I'd go for a mineral/vitamin supplement, and you will find it wil stop. Add a spoonful of apple cider vinegar to their water or food as well.

Or - mineral water, as Erny suggests.

Although - oi, Erny, what is mineral water? :laugh:

Edited by Jed

Although - oi, Erny, what is mineral water? :(

You know ..... good ol' ordinary mineral water (as opposed to tonic water) that you buy in the supermarket.

It's not to say the mineral water will contain everything or all, but I do know of a few people who used it as an indicator of whether the dog was eating dirt through habit or whether they were only doing it because they were attempting to self-supplement. It's a cheap, sometimes successful but not necessarily reliable 'test'.

Although - oi, Erny, what is mineral water? :thumbsup:

You know ..... good ol' ordinary mineral water (as opposed to tonic water) that you buy in the supermarket.

It's not to say the mineral water will contain everything or all, but I do know of a few people who used it as an indicator of whether the dog was eating dirt through habit or whether they were only doing it because they were attempting to self-supplement. It's a cheap, sometimes successful but not necessarily reliable 'test'.

That's what I thought you meant. Good idea, couldn't hurt. Never heard of it. Learn something new every day :rofl: