15 Week Old Min Schnauzer Started Barking At Night

Laila

He can be inside with us... he just isn't properly housetrained yet and I dont really want to be cleaning up wee/poo all the time. The times we do have him inside with us (before we all go to bed) I always take him out regularly to go to the toilet but he occasionally has an accident. I'm worried that he wont ever learn to go outside to the toilet.

training of any means is owner reliant.Toilet training is up to you & mini schnauzers are a very quick breed to toilet train.

We have breed minis for over 25 yrs & they arent an outside breed.

There is no easy option with owning a pup or a dog,Dogs make a mess & you have to train/clean & do all sorts of things.

The same will apply to when you brush & checking his bottom for poop that has stuck to it.

dogs dont toilet train themselves but you are training it to not be clean & that will mean pup outside for ever & it isnt a life for a mini schnauzer.

Your breeder will have discussed this fully with you??

I hope the OP has taken the advice on this thread and that the puppy is not still locked in the shed - the thought of it gives me nightmares........

I also pm'd the OP offering assistance but no reply. :D

It has been playing on my mind too.... :shrug:

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie tho i have been reading the puppy problem section of the forum for a while now leading up to getting my own puppy.

This thread got my attention cause i also have a new mini schnauzer puppy at 15 weeks :shrug:

I got him at 8 weeks and i couldnt even think about having him outside alone to sleep at that age :D .... we never had a huge issue with night time potty training .. i think the first 2 nights we took him out once around 2am and then after that he simply just slept all the way through the night ....

Throughtout the day potty training was a bit hard .. he would use the puppy loo mats .. but here and there he would accident in the wrong spot ...

But i would say for the last 2 weeks he hasnt poo'd inside .. and has only had one or two wee accidents and i've since stopped putting down the puppy loo mats as he has taken a liking to dragging them around and ripping them up :|

I think crate training is a great idea ... i simply havent done it because i really dont want to buy a crate right now plus i already have a puppy pen ... it would be great for night time if you dont want your puppy to have free range ...

Not that our puppy has free range at night time ... but he does sleep in his own bed .. at the end of our bed .. and he will stay there pretty much most of the night ... until he comes up to us around 6am

I hope the person posting for help has got some great ideas from everyones input :thumbsup:

Cheers

*LoTTy*

• 6 months later...
House training a puppy does mean cleaning up after him until he learns to go outside reliably and also means you getting up during the night to take him out. Just putting him outside is not going to house train him. Put the work in, make the effort and you will have a terrific little dog. Dump him outside because its all too hard and you will end up with far more problems as you are already seeing.

And agree with everyone else baby puppies should be inside for their safety and mental well being not dumped outside for convenience sake.

Did you not consider these things before buying a young puppy they do take work and training to become well adjusted trained adults.

I have to agree with you totally. Puppies are no different to human babies when it comes to 'training'. You need to put in the time. I have two mini schnauzers and would not dream of having them sleep outside all night. This breed is a family dog and like many other breeds want to be part of the family, which I believe they are bought for. The poor baby is probably scared and anxious. Are you able to put in a doggy door, and perhaps confine him to the laundry for the time being until he is toilet trained? He will soon learn that he is able to go out at will, and not fear about being locked out for the night.

Did you get him from a registered breeder? I wonder if he or she knows where the puppy sleeps at night. I know the breeder I bought my minis would be horrified and I would probably not be looked on favourably if I wanted to get another puppy from her.

The OP might have been frightened by all the replies. Sometimes it can be daunting ... I know everyone means well but sometimes the intensity of the responses can freak out people who are new to this place and also people who are new to owning a puppy. It's not that the advice is bad - it's excellent, but there's little point in giving great advice if the original poster is so freaked out/made to feel guilty that he/she runs away. This place is such a great resource and especially if someone doesn't have a lot of offline, I worry that we're cutting off the best line of communication/advice/support to both owner and pup

The OP might have been frightened by all the replies. Sometimes it can be daunting ... I know everyone means well but sometimes the intensity of the responses can freak out people who are new to this place and also people who are new to owning a puppy. It's not that the advice is bad - it's excellent, but there's little point in giving great advice if the original poster is so freaked out/made to feel guilty that he/she runs away. This place is such a great resource and especially if someone doesn't have a lot of offline, I worry that we're cutting off the best line of communication/advice/support to both owner and pup

The OP has been online very recently asking about "Schnoodles". He/she can't have been too put off. :)

The OP has been online very recently asking about "Schnoodles". He/she can't have been too put off. :hug:

Haha. OK, I feel better then ... err I guess ...

It was that poor puppy that I was worried about. I wonder what happened to it. :(

It was that poor puppy that I was worried about. I wonder what happened to it. :(

I was hoping that the OP heeded all the good advice she received and took the puppy inside in a crate. We had Elbie in his crate at night and took him out at 2 hour intervals at the start, then three hours. Now he can last 6 and a half hours - probably more, but we're being gradual to be cautious. He hasn't had an accident in ages, he toilets on command and he toilets in one section of the yard allocated to him. Admittedly it was a lot of hard work and sometimes it felt very surreal to be out there standing in the freezing cold giving effusive praise to our puppy just because he had eliminated :hug:

I was hoping that the OP heeded all the good advice she received and took the puppy inside in a crate. We had Elbie in his crate at night and took him out at 2 hour intervals at the start, then three hours. Now he can last 6 and a half hours - probably more, but we're being gradual to be cautious. He hasn't had an accident in ages, he toilets on command and he toilets in one section of the yard allocated to him. Admittedly it was a lot of hard work and sometimes it felt very surreal to be out there standing in the freezing cold giving effusive praise to our puppy just because he had eliminated :hug:

Ah yes, winter puppies. Not ideal but they have to learn to toilet in all weathers I suppose.

I can't stand the thought of a puppy outside at night all alone. I don't get people who can't be bothered putting the time in toilet training a couple of months of perseverance and it's all good. I did a lot of toilet training with my 4 just got one trained and a new one came along and two of them were winter puppies! I loved every minute of it and it was amazing how many times people would say to me "oh you poor thing" I just never got that. I'd do it all again tomorow If I could.

If the OP has been posting recently I hope she comes here and tells us how her pup is now, by my calculation the pup would be around 10 months old.