Her Face Looks Like A Balloon!

Hey there peeps,

Just wondering if you'd be able to help, or at least assuage my worries...

It started out with a swollen lopsided tongue, but now my little girl Boof has a swollen muzzle, and lips. Her tongue is still a little swollen too. She seems to be in no pain/ discomfort and is sleeping soundly at my feet at the moment.

I'm thinking it's either a bee sting or allergic reaction - though what she would have reacted to I dont know as nothing has changed in her environment. So I'm leaning more toward a naughty bug.

Anyway, I've given her an antihistamine (20 minutes ago) and am hoping the swelling will go down. If it does...... should i be worried and rush her to the vet?

Could there be any other reason why she'd have a swollen muzzle?

If anyone's had any similar experiences, or could help, that would be great!

THANKS!

Cheers,

StaffordsYo!

human antihistamines work on dogs.. but the npon drowsey ones are the leats likely to help in an emergency situation. benadryl is best for emergencies hiuman and dog --as i discovered when my skin son has a massive allergic reaction to 'something" and passed out just as we arrived at the hospital...

medical staff explained that benadryl is best for those emergencies

cheers

helen

Ok, didn't know Benadryl was good for these things.. I gave her a dog antihistamine.... some left over from another allergic reaction. But it's been about 2 more hours and she's still looks like a Shar Pei! Only time will tell I suppose!

Thanks for your help, will look into getting some Benadryl sometime this evening!

I rang the Vet when this happened to Banjo and he said to give him an antihistamine. Just keep a close eye on her. Edited - I didn't read the bit about the swollen tounge. I'd take her to the Vet to be safe. The swollen tounge might block her airway.

Edited by Tiggy

I'd be off to the vet too. Antihistamines don't always work well on dogs. Most commonly when you go to the vet for something like this, they give an injection of cortisone which bring the inflammation down much quicker than antihistamines. With the sort of swelling you have described, I wouldn't have be waiting around...

Thanks for all the posts! I really appreciate the advice.

I decided to wait it out with the antihistamine and apart from looking like a Shar Pei for a period of time and having an identity crisis.... Boofa is all back to normal now ( no more swelling at all!) and happily chewing away at her toy! :cheer:

I did keep an eye on her and would have rushed her to the vet if she had displayed any signs of breathing difficulty. I'm just one of those people who will panic at the smallest thing and I didn't want the vet to think I'm over paranoid!

But thanks thanks thanks for your comments, I will keep it all in mind and appreciate that you took the time to post and help me out.

Cheers

StaffordsYo!

if she had displayed any signs of breathing difficulty.

That can be a bit late , sometimes ..esp if swelling is rapid onset. :laugh:

Glad Boofa is ok now :eek:

Once they have signs of breathing difficulties they can be going into anaphylactic shock. Death can be a short time away!

Don't mean to scare you, if she just had a swollen muzzle then yes wait it out, maybe, but a swollen tounge - definate vet.

They usually give them antihistamine and cortisone as mentioned earlier. Makes the swelling go down much more quickly and makes the dog comfortable quicker.

if she had displayed any signs of breathing difficulty.

That can be a bit late , sometimes ..esp if swelling is rapid onset. :o

Glad Boofa is ok now :o

Once they have signs of breathing difficulties they can be going into anaphylactic shock. Death can be a short time away!

Don't mean to scare you, if she just had a swollen muzzle then yes wait it out, maybe, but a swollen tounge - definate vet.

They usually give them antihistamine and cortisone as mentioned earlier. Makes the swelling go down much more quickly and makes the dog comfortable quicker.

Ok... thanks for that... I will remember that in the future... I didn't realise that a swollen tongue meant far worse than what I thought...

THANKS!!!!!!! I hope the bees or whatever bug bit her won't come back again.

I didn't realise that a swollen tongue meant far worse than what I thought...

It was suggested she could have breathing problems, and that you should take her to a vet :o

Just be aware now, that she DOES have potentially dangerous reactions to possible bee/ant sting. Ask your vet for something you can keep at home in case you cannot get to a vet in a hurry.

Hopefully, it will not happen again!!

:o

Yep have something on hand, shove pill down throat and then off to the vets!

Better safe than sorry!

The other worry is if they have bitten or swallowed it then they may have more stings/bites down the throat - major drama!

A friend of mine had a dog that would go into anaphylactic shock with bee's. He could only tolerate Polaramine, so it was shove pills down throat and bolt! It worked well and he never did crash completely on her after the first time.

Also if it happens at a vet at least you can get them tubed to maintain an airway whilst drugs have a chance to work.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis