Training In Public

huski

I take Daisy out to our local park/sports field pretty much every day to do training with her.

She'd been soooo lethargic and lazy all day (she's not great in the heat) but I took her for a walk any way this afternoon and figured I'd give training a go.

As soon as we started training I could tell she just wasn't working to her normal standard, she was lagging and a bit distracted so thought stuff it we'll just have a walk instead.

We did a massive 45 minute walk and on the way back as we were walking past the fenced off leash park, which was full of people and dogs, Daisy had a sudden burst of energy so I thought I'd do some focus work with her.

I lined her up against the dog park fence so she was almost touching it and got her in heel position, focusing nicely on me.

We did a little bit of heel work and she was actually working ok (no where near her normal level of drive) but her focus was quite good considering the level of distraction. As I was revving her up she started getting into it so I did some downs, stands, just basic heel stuff and some stays. All the while some of the dogs in the park were rushing up to the fence and sniffing her etc and she ignored them :D

I had her in a short stay and I thought I heard a girl in the dog park with a small fluffy crossbreed saying "don't bother with that beagle, you're way better than that" :laugh: but it was so silly that I thought I must have missed heard them so I kept training.

Then the girl looks at us, throwing her voice and in the most conceited tone goes "OH BENNY, you ARE SO MUCH BETTER than that dog. You can do ALL THAT without ANY TREATS!"

I was like, wtf? Standing there with Daisy quite gobsmacked - I couldn't believe anyone cared so much :):laugh: I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at her and explained we were practicing some focus work for obedience competition and that's why we were using food. She then asked her dog to sit, repeatedly because he wasn't paying attention to her at all, and I had to bite back my tongue from pointing out that Daisy sits automatically. I felt like asking her what was with her attitude, I was just trying to train and have fun with my dog, but instead I lined Daisy up along the fence, did a COP and recall from quite a distance (which she nailed, despite not having her normal amount of drive).

I always feel self conscious training in public and things like today just make me feel even sillier :rofl:

Well done Daisy (and huski) ... glad she was doing so well.

Some people need to make fools of themselves by making silly comments like that - it makes them feel better and helps hide their own inadequacies.

Don’t give up on training in public. I often feel silly acting like an idiot in the local park trying to get my boys attention.

Don't feel silly Huski....some people are so insecure they get their jollies by criticizing others. I tend not to train in dog parks not because of this type of reaction but more due to other dogs whose owners have no control over them interfering with my training. I travel 45 minutes to our Canine grounds so that I can train in a secure and safe environment.

I take Daisy out to our local park/sports field pretty much every day to do training with her.

She'd been soooo lethargic and lazy all day (she's not great in the heat) but I took her for a walk any way this afternoon and figured I'd give training a go.

As soon as we started training I could tell she just wasn't working to her normal standard, she was lagging and a bit distracted so thought stuff it we'll just have a walk instead.

We did a massive 45 minute walk and on the way back as we were walking past the fenced off leash park, which was full of people and dogs, Daisy had a sudden burst of energy so I thought I'd do some focus work with her.

I lined her up against the dog park fence so she was almost touching it and got her in heel position, focusing nicely on me.

We did a little bit of heel work and she was actually working ok (no where near her normal level of drive) but her focus was quite good considering the level of distraction. As I was revving her up she started getting into it so I did some downs, stands, just basic heel stuff and some stays. All the while some of the dogs in the park were rushing up to the fence and sniffing her etc and she ignored them :D

I had her in a short stay and I thought I heard a girl in the dog park with a small fluffy crossbreed saying "don't bother with that beagle, you're way better than that" :laugh: but it was so silly that I thought I must have missed heard them so I kept training.

Then the girl looks at us, throwing her voice and in the most conceited tone goes "OH BENNY, you ARE SO MUCH BETTER than that dog. You can do ALL THAT without ANY TREATS!"

I was like, wtf? Standing there with Daisy quite gobsmacked - I couldn't believe anyone cared so much :):laugh: I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at her and explained we were practicing some focus work for obedience competition and that's why we were using food. She then asked her dog to sit, repeatedly because he wasn't paying attention to her at all, and I had to bite back my tongue from pointing out that Daisy sits automatically. I felt like asking her what was with her attitude, I was just trying to train and have fun with my dog, but instead I lined Daisy up along the fence, did a COP and recall from quite a distance (which she nailed, despite not having her normal amount of drive).

I always feel self conscious training in public and things like today just make me feel even sillier :rofl:

Don't feel silly Huski....some people are so insecure they get their jollies by criticizing others. I tend not to train in dog parks not because of this type of reaction but more due to other dogs whose owners have no control over them interfering with my training. I travel 45 minutes to our Canine grounds so that I can train in a secure and safe environment.

Thanks Bedazzled and Tilly :laugh: I had been getting better with training outside but geez today I felt terrible! The funniest thing is that if the girl knew anything about obedience, she would have known we weren't doing that crash hot anyway :laugh:

I feel the same about dog parks Bedazzled, which is why we didn't actually go in - I had Daisy working on the outside against the fence the entire time.

I'm very lucky with my park (which allows off leash dogs, but it is dual use so it isn't a dedicated dog park). I used to feel self-conscious training in public, especially doing the tug. That, combined witht he fact that I'm the only person who seems to do training exercised with their dog there.

But I get compliments on his training all the time - from both dog and non dog people. If someone's unruly dog interrupts us they apologise profusely and get their dogs. It does give a bit of a boost when someone says something positive.

Huski - if they saw your heeling work they'd all be very impressed and let you know!

I'm very lucky with my park (which allows off leash dogs, but it is dual use so it isn't a dedicated dog park). I used to feel self-conscious training in public, especially doing the tug. That, combined witht he fact that I'm the only person who seems to do training exercised with their dog there.

But I get compliments on his training all the time - from both dog and non dog people. If someone's unruly dog interrupts us they apologise profusely and get their dogs. It does give a bit of a boost when someone says something positive.

Huski - if they saw your heeling work they'd all be very impressed and let you know!

Awww that's nice Megan :laugh:

I get compliments on Daisy sometimes and funnily enough I actually got one when we were training today - even though our heelwork was pretty craptastic today :laugh:

Good on you for training in public. If only more people did it. We often do sit/down + stay/wait with Sam + heeling work otherwise how else do you train your dog to obey your commands in unfamiliar surroundings?

Wow, how old was she? Sounds like such a juvenile comment so I wouldn't worry, but if it was an adult, wow :laugh: How ridiculous of some people.

You said you got a nice comment too so just take that one away with you!

I feel silly training in the park, too. We don't really have fenced dog parks here like over east, so I train in parks where kids and other dogs can be. But I tend to go at a time when we are the only ones in a park. If another dog does come by, I use that time to do some focus work or stays while standing near them. I do get people stopping and watching me from a distance, but I've never had bad comments. I usually get interested looks and a few people have asked if I can train their dogs for them :laugh: It really is a great feeling to have my two Labradors focused on me or in a stay as other dogs come by, as we all know people think badly of the Labrador and public parks :)

Wow, how old was she? Sounds like such a juvenile comment so I wouldn't worry, but if it was an adult, wow :laugh: How ridiculous of some people.

I'm not sure how old she was, she could have been late teens or older.

It was so weird as when we're training we're always off in our own little world, I hardly notice what's going on around us - it was only because this girl was so (intentionally) loud and obnoxious!

I feel silly training in the park, too. We don't really have fenced dog parks here like over east, so I train in parks where kids and other dogs can be. But I tend to go at a time when we are the only ones in a park. If another dog does come by, I use that time to do some focus work or stays while standing near them. I do get people stopping and watching me from a distance, but I've never had bad comments. I usually get interested looks and a few people have asked if I can train their dogs for them :laugh: It really is a great feeling to have my two Labradors focused on me or in a stay as other dogs come by, as we all know people think badly of the Labrador and public parks :)

It sounds like your two set a great example :rofl:

Hi Bec

Well Done Daisy. Don't worry what other people think or say about what you do with your training.

Often people say and do things because they have no idea in what you are doing. Ignore them and take the compliments you get when people say how well behaved Daisy is and how far you both have come with your training.

Keep up the good work

Maree

:cheer:

Hi Bec

Well Done Daisy. Don't worry what other people think or say about what you do with your training.

Often people say and do things because they have no idea in what you are doing. Ignore them and take the compliments you get when people say how well behaved Daisy is and how far you both have come with your training.

Keep up the good work

Maree

:p

Thanks Maree :D

Will have to catch up for a training session over the summer holidays :bolt:

I think there's a metro trial coming up in Feb, I would love to enter Daisy, but we'll wait and see how she goes. Still a lot of fine tuning to do :cheer:

Lol - when people make a comment about me training Zero, I do the same thing that I do when they tell me that my "wolf" is a killing machine or that sibes can't be trained. Pull a "are you f***ing serious?" face at them and ignore. Rewards shouldn't ever be phased out of training and I'm not surprised her dog wouldn't work for her if that's how she sees it.

Sounds like she just wanted a rise out of you - a lot of people have a "my dog is better than yours" attitude and just need to put you down for their own ego. She was probably just stroking her ego by making comments about Daisy.

Oh my!!

I know some times you can feel silly and I know I would looks silly most of the times when training but I pass so many dogs that are not trained (AT ALL) that I just don't care how silly I look any more.

I have bumped into more dogs that could NOT sit on command, than bumped into dogs that can.

When I pass people who have to yell and scream and swing sticks to try and gets their dogs to behave it just makes me more willing to go out and look silly.

Keep up the good work!!

Sounds like Daisy was focused enough to show the other dog and owner up. Gooooo Daisy..

It was so weird as when we're training we're always off in our own little world, I hardly notice what's going on around us - it was only because this girl was so (intentionally) loud and obnoxious!

Gotta feel sorry for her, note hint of sarcasm :eek:, the only way she can feel important is by putting someone else down very loudly in front of an audience :eek: , what a looser. Keep up the good work huski, you must have been doing well or she wouldn't have felt soooo insecure :laugh:.

Gotta feel sorry for her, note hint of sarcasm :eek:, the only way she can feel important is by putting someone else down very loudly in front of an audience :eek: , what a looser. Keep up the good work huski, you must have been doing well or she wouldn't have felt soooo insecure :laugh:.

Exactly - great work with the distraction training.

I always take it as a compliment when someone starts to 'train' their dog when we are out working in the park of a morning. Remember - having a well trained dog is something we all take as a given - others have to show off how good their dogs are.

I would have been tempted to yell "go on then, PROVE IT!!!!" :rofl:

don't let it bother you...enjoy your lovely dog, and stuff what anyone else thinks. People who have to harp on about their skills & make a big show of how it (in whatever area of life) generally don't have many :laugh:

HAd the same thing happen to me.

I was doing some exercises in re-inforcing the heel position, so heel one step forwards, one around, one back etc.

The comment - oh well any dog would do that for food!

Um no it wouldn't, and my dog was position perfect, almost levitating backwards to get into the correct position!

Yep a piece of food will get ANY dog to do that...sure!

It is all about their insecurities, keep doing what you are, sounds like you are going great guns - well done.

Oh and it is always good when they nail something when someone is watching - especially a loud obnoxious someone!

HAd the same thing happen to me.

I was doing some exercises in re-inforcing the heel position, so heel one step forwards, one around, one back etc.

The comment - oh well any dog would do that for food!

Um no it wouldn't, and my dog was position perfect, almost levitating backwards to get into the correct position!

Yep a piece of food will get ANY dog to do that...sure!

It is all about their insecurities, keep doing what you are, sounds like you are going great guns - well done.

Oh and it is always good when they nail something when someone is watching - especially a loud obnoxious someone!

It always amazes me, i know the amount of work required to get a dog to be obedient to a command (as I hang my head in shame at the sight of my 2 totaly untrained dogs) in the past I have trained my dogs etc, and as you say, getting the dog to do things like a totaly focused heel is not easy, and of course what people don't realise, is that it's not just teaching the dog the command, it's the constant practice of the command that makes it look so good. There is a lady here who I see on occasion, who has the most beautifully trained dog (tricks and all the works) and I have also seen people accuse her of being cruel to her dog for not rewarding a failed command.

Why can't people see a trained dog, or someone working at training a dog, as the beautiful thing it is????