Hachi

Hetzer

I was just watching this movie with DH (he picked it out) but I became too emotional to be able to watch it to the end :lollipop:

Lovely story tho, but very very sad :rasberry:

I'm a total mess now ! :) I'm getting too old for sad movies , especially animal ones! lol

Hi Jules, yes, this is why I never EVER watch animal movies!! I'm a cot case. I'm still badly scarred from Ring of Bright Water and Born Free from the 60s! Just thinking of them makes me cry. :champagne:

• 3 months later...
I was just watching this movie with DH (he picked it out) but I became too emotional to be able to watch it to the end :happydance:

Lovely story tho, but very very sad :happydance:

I'm a total mess now ! :laugh: I'm getting too old for sad movies , especially animal ones! lol

Hi Jules, yes, this is why I never EVER watch animal movies!! I'm a cot case. I'm still badly scarred from Ring of Bright Water and Born Free from the 60s! Just thinking of them makes me cry. :laugh:

Although I read the book and saw the movie of Ring of Bright Water there is still only one scene I remember :o:o Thanks Monah :thumbsup::cheer::cheer:

(This thread has been resurrected via the latest Hachi thread - LOL.)

Hello everyone,

Recently I was researching movies with a dog theme and I found a real gem. The movie was Hachiko, and told the true story of an Akita's devotion to his master, a university professor is 1920's Tokyo. From puppyhood, Hachi would accompany his master to the train station, and await his return of an evening there at a specific time. The touching part was that even after the professors passing away from a heart attack, Hachi would continue the routine of waiting for him at the train station - and this vigil would last for ten years. He would even escape from new owners to continue the wait. The movie was a real tear jerker, and conveyed the connection a human can have with a canine. The fluffy and expressive face of the Akita was very endearing.

hachiko_s.jpghachiko_statue_s.jpg

Hachi would gain national recognition in newspaper articles, and his enduring faithfulness to his master's memory would be hailed as a national symbol.

I saw the original 1987 Japanese version of the movie, specifically Hachiko Monogatari, and although there is apparently an english-language remake, I think this is the one to check out. Highly recommended. There's a good Wikipedia entry about Hachi which is definitely worth a read.

Best Regards, Hetzer

Excellent movie.

Though, I think in RL the dog did not escape new owners. He lived with the family and then made the journey everyday, dying at the train station. Or am I getting confused with a different RL story lol

Oh another interesting something I read about this the other day was that the dog came from a shelter (the dog who played Hachi in the Gere movie) and there are now people trying to claim his ownership.

I am not even sure where the hell I read that - maybe here?

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the trailer for the american version of this movie and it made me cray like a baby...

I'm a man, and the only movies that make me cray are dog movies. i will never ever watch them with people except my fiance .

I don't think i can watch the movie now, if the trailer made me cry.

Edited by Rocksy

I've finally got hold of a copy of the movie, but I don't know if I can watch it just yet!

Looking down at my boy snoring as loud as a steam train next to me (which he has bizarrely only started doing since last night) I think I would be in tears in the first few minutes!!

I've finally got hold of a copy of the movie, but I don't know if I can watch it just yet!

Looking down at my boy snoring as loud as a steam train next to me (which he has bizarrely only started doing since last night) I think I would be in tears in the first few minutes!!

DON'T DO IT!!!

OH had IQ'd it and I only made it to the part where Gere dies (no loss there :laugh: ) and was blubbering to the point of sobbing. Had to go and hug my boof-dog. Couldn't watch the rest.

I deleted the film - I can't watch the rest of it. :eek:

We did laugh at all the Shiba Inus tho... they were cute :)

Edited by KumaAkita

Read the book - it is easier than watching the movie. You don't see the big sad eyes. That's what killed me.

Just be prepared to be devastatingly upset for a while, have loads of tissues on hand to mop up spilled tears and make sure Kyojin is in the mood for cuddles after!

I can say that I know the story, just don't need to see the movie :laugh:

Beautiful movie but cried most of the time I think I'd only watch it the one time I did and no more.. My OH fell asleep once it got sad and was so hard to let out huge cries and be quiet at the same time :laugh:

The sadness lasted a long time for me. Just had to run and hug my baby girl and give heaps of kisses after that

OMG I watched the american one and I was so depressed afterward and I needed an actual towel for the tears, i'm not kidding, a bath towel. I've never been so upset by a movie. If any movie is going to make me cry, its an animal movie but this one nearly killed me! DON'T DO IT! :)