Proofing With Distractions

ness

Huski I thought you weren't allowed to use food in a trial? Or is she getting the food after she performs all of the exercises?

I will get her into food drive before I go in the ring and will release her to the food after, getting her to maintain that drive when we are in the ring (in theory, lol).

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Introducing Kozmee :o - and Kenzie's first getting acquainted with the new distraction toy session.

Step 1 - Posing for a silly photo with toy - hard task for a midget dog who really needs to learn a better stay although actually she did ok today and stayed put with no additional commands for my entire photo shoot without trying to pounce on the camera :laugh: .

4242491495_8f220391c9.jpg

:cry:

Introducing Kozmee :rofl: - and Kenzie's first getting acquainted with the new distraction toy session.

Step 1 - Posing for a silly photo with toy - hard task for a midget dog who really needs to learn a better stay although actually she did ok today and stayed put with no additional commands for my entire photo shoot without trying to pounce on the camera :cry: .

4242491495_8f220391c9.jpg

:o

Welcome Kozmee :laugh: - maybe others could post photos of their favourite distraction.......

Hahaha so Ptolomy do we get a picture of caffy's Alex - since he seems to be a favorite distraction tool over west :laugh: .

Ness thinks I need to take a photo of her posing with her biggest distraction :cry: . Hmmm sorry Ness not sure you would actually pose with it.

I will say that is the inactivated form of Kozmee - I think the activated form is still a bit much for a baby and I'll have to work up to it.

Edited by ness

Am just downloading video staring Kozmee and Cuz :laugh: . Kozmee didn't prove to be overly distracting in his quiet mode :cry: and I stirred Kenz up with Cuz before we started and so yep she was very keen on Cuz :o .

Edited by ness

Not especially Ness....just an observation that we don't always have food or toys to hand and need to be able to reward in a way that's meaningful to the dog. Especially useful for between exercises in the trial ring when you can't have food or toys on you. It doesn't just happen though and needs to be trained. Sorry for dragging this even more off topic :cry:

How times have changed, I remember many moons ago (showing my age here) a judge once told me when I first started him in Novice that I over praised my male dobe between exercises and that to have a really good working dog I should not even pat him but ignore him to keep him focussed. I have always used trigger words when working the dogs. One to switch them on, one to reward and one to switch them off. The effect of the words was built up over their whole training life. They can just about do back flips over a "good dog" :laugh:

With the young girl I work now you need the on/off switch as she used to have the concentration span of a gnat (still does sometimes) so a 2 minute heeling pattern was all I could get before she had to be released even if only for a couple of minutes before turning back on. When she is on though it is like chaos on a string if you know what I mean - such a wonderful feeling.

Ok here is distraction video 1 - just some figure 8 heelwork.

Video 2 - is Change of positions and yes she is still having issues with her sitting up so I tried breaking it down so I wasn't asking for both a drop and a sit.

Ok here is distraction video 1 - just some figure 8 heelwork.

Video 2 - is Change of positions and yes she is still having issues with her sitting up so I tried breaking it down so I wasn't asking for both a drop and a sit.

Not taking me to a clip just a home page though I could be doing it wrong with my not so talented computer skills...

Oooh hang on a tick I had to adjust the setting from private to public - I uploaded them a different way and its defaulted it to private - should work now I hope :laugh: .

Edited by ness

And the second one - this is my very much broken COP exercise. She has the novice bit down pat and is about 99% reliable on a drop but when I go to add any distance I totally lose my sit up :laugh: . Not worrying about the recall part yet since she has a nice recall :cry: .

Will add the link when the video decides to cooperate.

Edited by ness

Oooh hang on a tick I had to adjust the setting from private to public - I uploaded them a different way and its defaulted it to private - should work now I hope :laugh: .

Worked this time thanks.

Love your training shoes by the way. You must get them from the same place as I do. :cry::o

Here is the other video I hope - youtube was having a mind of its own :laugh: .

hehe, how cute is Ness doing the COP too! Like "see mum, I'm doing it right!"

snap tiggy :laugh:

Edited by huski

How are you planning to reward her between exercises Huski? Remember by the time you get to UD you have 8 excersises (some are 2 and 3 parters) to get through before you can treat.

Huski I thought you weren't allowed to use food in a trial? Or is she getting the food after she performs all of the exercises?

I will get her into food drive before I go in the ring and will release her to the food after, getting her to maintain that drive when we are in the ring (in theory, lol).

How are you planning to reward her between exercises Huski? Remember by the time you get to UD you have 8 excersises (some are 2 and 3 parters) to get through before you can treat.

With the training we do it's about making sure she can maintain drive for the amount of time necessary. In between exercises, I'll use play/praise :rofl:

I like your insinuation that we'll actually get to UD in the first place ;) :laugh:

I would hope that you train Novice with the plan of going through to UD and UDX!!!! :):D I ask because you have previously answered that you couldn't or wouldn't train train without using food. You really do have to train this transition :D

QUOTE (bedazzledx2 @ 20th Dec 2009 - 05:36 PM)

So if you took her to a park/trial ground and wanted to train/trial and didn't have food or toys with you.....? Don't get me wrong, I am big on food and motivational training but there have to be other ways to engage your dog. Can you transfer the rewards to a physical game?

I utilise her pack drive and rev her up between exercises without giving her food, but when it comes to trialling I will always have her working in food drive. Could I get her to work for praise? I could to a degree but why use that at a trial instead of food when I can get so much out of her by working her in food drive ETA: I don't mean I won't ever utilise her pack drive (playing, praise, playing a physical game) just that I won't use it instead of food drive.

ETA2: If I went to the park without any food I simply wouldn't work her in drive. I couldn't do the training I do without it.

This post has been edited by huski: 20th Dec 2009 - 04:33 PM

With the training we do it's about making sure she can maintain drive for the amount of time necessary. In between exercises, I'll use play/praise :)

I like your insinuation that we'll actually get to UD in the first place :p :)