Proofing With Distractions

ness

[He has a release word.

I did a lot of opposition reflex with him if that helps :thumbsup: He used to fall over a lot like the Tripod :laugh::)

Argh the old release word hey :rofl:

What do you do if he moves before the release word? and do you still do this even if he has completed the SFE and you walking around him?

With my OC dog (which stands for Occassionally Clever) I have been returning to him and reaching into my pocket for food and he has been moving a foot - so I have been giving a NRM "wrong" and taking my hand out of my pocket and then a few seconds later - trying it again. Am I creating a bad habit or is this going to turn into a mountain further down the track????

In terms of SFE, the exercise doesn't finish until I release - end of story. In a trial I don't release but simply praise profusely as Zig would probably switch off permanently.

Ptolomy, I would probably go back to doing steady feet with the dog - doesn't matter how many times you put your hand in your pocket or bring food out the dog will soon remember that moving a paw = no treat :grouphug: The other thing I do on returning sometimes is give a verbal reward marker, treat (don't release) and immediately step off into some heel work. Keep the buggers guessing!

I think steady feet is also a great exercise for building confidence and communicating the exercise in the sit stay :xmascheer:

We had a fun day of distractions on Sunday at Dogs Victoria's Dog's Day Out. Zig and I had been asked to do an obedience and agility demo plus a crash course for all the Dal showie owners and newbie Dally owners alike. I chose to take Zig straight from his crate into the ring so he WAS highly distracted (think entire bitches everywhere :rofl: ) and then I could demonstrate how to get him back from the brink. It was a heap of fun and he went from a strong, hormone driven male to a "damn, why is my Mum giving that puppy my food" ;) He did some lovely, enthusiastic work in muggy, hot weather.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but apparently we need to do a 10 minute stay (!!!!) to pass the introductory level of obedience. So, I really should work on it more. I think it's insane though.

Insane is definitely right! That would be as boring at batpoop to a well trained dog and tedious to train, so as a measurement to pass an INTRODUCTORY obedience class, come on! Who is writing up the course guidelines here?! They need their head read! :rofl: UD dogs aren't even required to do that. The longest length of a sit stay in competition is 3 minutes I believe?? (and down stay 7 minutes?) Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's my 2 cents worth, anyway :thumbsup:

I went and checked out the UD requirements when I was told about the 10 minutes, and it just made it seem even more insane. I don't think we need to actually achieve a 10 minute stay to 'pass' overall, as our group's instructor said she failed it, but it's there, apparently.

Actually, I just checked our 'list of tasks' for assessment, and the length of the stay isn't specified :rofl: Maybe the instructor is wrong, although she's told me several times now. I certainly hope so. We do need to do 5 minutes tolerance to separation though, but that's not a stay.

Given that the last week of the course says practice a 3 minute down stay, I can't imagine them leaping to 10 minutes the following week for the assessment.

Sorry, I've derailed this thread a bit now :laugh:

Edited by Serket

If he moves a foot before release I abort!! I may stand him again and then push him gently to remind him to plant the feet then re do the SFE stand ...helps to build success.

So no marker word like "Dufus"?????? :rofl:

Anybody else tried videoing some distraction work?????

Rubystar maybe we need to video some of Ruby when she first gets out of the car if I am near and how you have managed to get her up to heeling around me??

If he moves a foot before release I abort!! I may stand him again and then push him gently to remind him to plant the feet then re do the SFE stand ...helps to build success.

So no marker word like "Dufus"?????? :o

Anybody else tried videoing some distraction work?????

Rubystar maybe we need to video some of Ruby when she first gets out of the car if I am near and how you have managed to get her up to heeling around me??

I think that time was a fluke when she practically ignored you :o Did you feel unloved all of a sudden? :rofl: But sure, next time we meet up to train, let's try it, she might surprise me! And if she fails, I can see how I handle it because you can't tell unless you take a step back and watch yourself.

That last distraction game we played was great, with you guys bending down and calling her as I heeled past. Yes she failed a few times, but she was quick to understand the game and was really driving with her heelwork then :shrug: She works best under distraction, go figure :cry: When there is no distraction, she gets bored and isn't driving. Still a work in progress to make that reliable for the ring, though!

The day I can heel my girls past isqueaks is a day for celebration. I have however started using them in stays. Starting out by just having them in my hand, to putting them down on the ground, to squeaking them once, then twice, then rolling them on the ground slightly. But that's as far as I've gotten, don't want to push it too far. I'm trying to make them succeed so eventually I can throw the things and squeak them all over the place and they won't budge :shrug:

One of Kenzie's favourite games is for me to heel her past whatever I have laying on the ground and then release her to go and grab it. Usually its a ball or a frisbee or a tug toy. Sometimes I'll just release her, sometimes we will about turn and halt and I will direct her as I would for a directed retrieve and only send her when she is locked in on the object. All good fun.

I've started using the isqueak as a reward instead of food as I think I have found something my girls would opt for over food! :shrug: So I have done some small exercises with Ruby and then released her to the isqueak I left on the floor. I can't do that with Millie yet, Millie is OTT when the isqueak comes out. Though I have used the isqueaks as their sit stay reward.

I've started using the isqueak as a reward instead of food as I think I have found something my girls would opt for over food! :o So I have done some small exercises with Ruby and then released her to the isqueak I left on the floor. I can't do that with Millie yet, Millie is OTT when the isqueak comes out. Though I have used the isqueaks as their sit stay reward.

ARGH another i-squeak convert.......the i-squeak tribe is growing :cry: and its not my fault :shrug:

I've started using the isqueak as a reward instead of food as I think I have found something my girls would opt for over food! :rofl: So I have done some small exercises with Ruby and then released her to the isqueak I left on the floor. I can't do that with Millie yet, Millie is OTT when the isqueak comes out. Though I have used the isqueaks as their sit stay reward.

ARGH another i-squeak convert.......the i-squeak tribe is growing :o and its not my fault :cry:

If you ever need to buy anymore, let me know so we can split the postage! :o I'm terrified my 2 isqueaks are gonna break so need more - but they've held out all year so they really are good little balls!! :shrug:

No other ball makes the grade, here. The Orbi ball I spent heaps on, nope, they'd prefer the isqueak. Well ok, they would take anything squeaky, but these are best cos they're the most durable!!

Edited by RubyStar

:shrug: I love having a toy mad dog who thinks all toys are worth going crazy for - even if all it is is a dead rope toy. Kenzie loves her orbees and her fur tugs and her frisbee and her foam balls :cry: . If you can fetch (and tug) then she is in heaven.

I know they're not that similar, but to me, a Beagle is a mini Lab! Short hair, flappy velvety ears :laugh:, soulful eyes, and love their food!! :)

When I'm ready for the next dog, it currently is a tossup between a Beagle and an Aussie Shepherd :cheers: I've got YEARS to make up my mind, though! :laugh:

Whoops, way OT :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar