Raw Diet For Chihuahuas

Hello there, I am after some helpful information on feeding a raw diet to tiny chihuahuas. I have just gotten 2x 8 week old chihuahua pups and would like to start them off on a raw diet. I have made up some food for them based on a friends raw diet for her dogs. This is what is entails,

1kg pet mince (chicken, roo or beef)

500g minced raw vegetables

2 whole eggs (shell included)

1 tin (200g) sardines

bunch parsley

1/2 cup oats

250g liver

splash of olive oil

Chicken necks (fed in a separate meal)

Does this sound ok? As they are on 3 meals a day I was going to give the meat mix twice and chicken necks once a day.

Are there any other bony meats a small chi could eat?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks Steve, I know there is some debate on how much vegetables (if any) to add. Why cut down on the liver? I thought organ meats were important?

I believe too much Vitamin A (found in Liver) can cause eye problems??? I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will come on & verify that, or shoot me down in flames...whichever! :shrug:

Just pray they eat it LOL Chis are notorious weird eaters so be prepared to having to adjust if need be.

Also realise they arent big eaters so watch the quantities in that there not over feed .

Having said that what diet where they feed before you got them??Changing too quickly can create tummy issues so be careful to adjust slowly for the dogs sake

Welcome to DOL tropicalmango :cry: and good for you for going natural with your new pups :shrug: . I feed a similar mix to my 2 Chinese Cresteds. I agree perhaps reduce the liver and veggies a tad but overall you've got lots of good nutrition in your mix. You're right about the raw food debates, the most important thing is to find what works best for your own dogs :o

Are you also feeding a good puppy dry food? Your pups will need the added calcium/phosphorus as they are growing. Check the label to make sure there's no ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT used as preservatives. You need a dry food that's complimentary to natural feeding (I like Nutro Natural Choice or Eagle Pack).

Small lamb necks are great for pups to chew on also.

Have you got pics of your two cuties? :rofl:

Unless the mince you're feeding has bone in it (eg. chicken pet mince) there won't be a balance of calcium and phosphorus in the pup's diet. That's trouble for growing bones.

I'd suggest you feed half of all meals as meat on the bone eg. chicken necks or wings. Feed your mix for the other half. When they are adults, go for two bone meals and one meal of mix for every 3 meals.

Offal should only form about 10% of the diet.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for all the replies!! At the breeders they were eating peices of chopped chicken and beef and also dry dog food (my dog gourmet I think!) I had bought some Eukanuba thinking that was good until I found out about the disgusting animal testing they do!! I am in country WA so am unable to get any of the good brands of dry dog food! (such as eaglepack).

How can I add a picture of them on here?

I feed my chihuahua's chicken necks, wings and lamb breast. They also have human grade mince either cooked or raw with some sweet potato and pumpkin mixed in. Sardines and scrambled egg are fed once a week. I would be careful feeding mince with bone in it as I had a puppy get a sharp piece of bone stuck in his gum. They are fed Royal Canin kibble as well.

My Chi (1 yr old) and Chi X (10 yrs old) both eat raw. I feed them Dr B's BARF patties (I'm lazy I know!) and an assortment of raw meaty bones (mostly chicken necks/wings). I usually sprinkle some Vets All Natural Health Booster in their dinner too. Initially I was doing it to boost Moose's immune system while his burn was healing but I'm just doing it now cos I figure it can't hurt?

They are both happy and healthy. Make nice poops too!

ETA - Also give them sardines occasionally although Zoe isn't too keen on them. If I mix it in well enough she doesn't notice. :eek:

Edited by moosepup

I had my son's dog on the Billinghurst diet back in the day when you had to make up the veggie mix yourself. She was a lean puppy, still is 9 yrs later, & the vet told me that that diet was no good & to include dry puppy kibble to give her the calcium she needed.

According to Billinghurst & Lonsdale they get all the calcium they need & in the correct ratio to phosphorus from eating raw meaty bones. For little dogs I would feed chicken wings as well as lamb flaps. They need to get used to eating bones in variety. At this young age they will only chew on the bigger bones getting the meat off. Great exercise for the jaws & growing bones & joints.