Kangaroo Tail

LeeJane

My GSD loves nothing more than raw roo tail. Its her favourite food. :)

I have recently bought some uncut and was wondering how I was going to cut it. Must say my thoughts never strayed to the axe :)

Dont know it I have an axe, I do have a chainsaw though does that count?

Having nasty visions of me out the back decked out in goggles and plastic bag covered in roo tail spatter :rofl:

cutting roo tail with an axe may leave splintery bits.

I prefer to take the time and experiment with finding the pad of cartilage in between the vertebrae..then just cutting smoothly thru.

It does take some finding at first :)

worth a half hour cutting and scraping- and flexing the tail, to see where the cartilage is :)

I feed raw roo tails as well. The meat and the bone gets eaten.

Hey Erny can you please tell me where you get yours from?

I used to get ours from South Melbourne markets but she doesnt stock them any more

I purchased mine through "Porky's" in Cranbourne. But their price went up and this time around it worked out at $3.25 per bone - these were pre-cut. Minimum order is 20kgs (which isn't as much as you think) and the total cost of that I think (can't remember accurately) was $52.00 or thereabouts. Last time I got some the bones from there they costed out at I think about $2.25 each.

They come frozen in one great big lump (sealed in a heavy duty plastic bag). I tend to find that by the time I get back home they have begun to thaw just a little, enough for me to wrestle the bones apart (takes a bit of work for some of them), bag them separately and pop them in the freezer.

I wish my boy was better at eating (having probs) as he is very spasmodic about whether he'll gnaw on a roo tail (or any bone, for that matter) and I find that a good number end up just going to waste.

Edited by Erny

I saw mine into pieces while they are frozen.

I tried doing that and made a complete mess of the kitchen and my fingers nearly froze! My local butcher where i buy my other meat happily cuts them for me even though i didn't purchase the roo from him. :)

I cut mine into pieces with an axe on a chopping block at the wood heap. Works well frozen or defrosted, much easier than in the kitchen.

I've now mastered the art of the axe :) I can get them to now chop clean and the bones sort of pop apart, I then get out the knife and finish cutting the flesh.

My Whippet has always been a bit picky when it comes to her food but she loves roo tail as well, she doesn't like the bones but she strips them clean

I saw mine into pieces while they are frozen.

I tried doing that and made a complete mess of the kitchen and my fingers nearly froze! My local butcher where i buy my other meat happily cuts them for me even though i didn't purchase the roo from him. :hug:

I leave mine frozen in a plastic shopping bag and take to them with the axe, I'm suprised I still have all of my toes, I was a bit wild and inaccurate in the early days :rofl:

Oh that reminds me of someone....er me. Except i usually drop bags of frozen bones on the concrete to break them up and only just miss my toes :xmastree:. You would think we would learn :rofl:.

And yep most of my guys love Kangaroo, i just wish i could get tails in Ballarat.

I have always fed roo tails too. My pet food supplier has them all the time and they are only $3 a bag of about 5 pieces. My lot have them a couple of days a week.

How big are the 'pieces', SBT101?

The tails I get are chopped to about one foot lengths.

I used to get ours from South Melbourne markets but she doesnt stock them any more

I purchased mine through "Porky's" in Cranbourne. But their price went up and this time around it worked out at $3.25 per bone - these were pre-cut. Minimum order is 20kgs (which isn't as much as you think) and the total cost of that I think (can't remember accurately) was $52.00 or thereabouts. Last time I got some the bones from there they costed out at I think about $2.25 each.

They come frozen in one great big lump (sealed in a heavy duty plastic bag). I tend to find that by the time I get back home they have begun to thaw just a little, enough for me to wrestle the bones apart (takes a bit of work for some of them), bag them separately and pop them in the freezer.

I wish my boy was better at eating (having probs) as he is very spasmodic about whether he'll gnaw on a roo tail (or any bone, for that matter) and I find that a good number end up just going to waste.

Great! Thanks will check these out. :(

Petbarn stock frozen roo tails, sheeps necks and some other difficult to find cuts of meat at reasonable prices with date stamps on them too... i pay $3 for a 1kg of roo tail.

Thanks Tyler :(