Maggots (up Date : Now Talking About Other Yucky Things)

Erny

:( ..... some of the things in this thread are really vile - worse than my "maggots on the decking" drama that started this all off in the first place.

But just to add : When I got back from a jaunt in the park with Mandela, at which he elected to utilise the lake for a bit of a cool dip in between bouts of zoomies, I gave him a hose down (warm water) to rid him of the slightly stinky smell and mud. While I was getting the water to the right temperature, I saw (and therefore was reminded of) the roo tail bone that I'd tossed to one side the other day. I saw that it was still alive with more maggots (:)) so I used the hot running water from the hose to douse them with. That really knocked them around.

I had in my mind to 'bag' the bone and get rid of it, but after rinsing Mandela off, I got waylaid by the telephone. Whilst yacking on that call, I looked out to see Mandela making a meal of that bone. I went out to check it. Some of the meat on it was green and still had maggots crawling (a little more sluggish than they had been, admittedly) in it. Total gross. I should take a photo of it and put it up here for all the ghouls who want to enjoy a big "yuck out" over it, but I don't think I will be able to bring myself to do more other than to throw it away like I first intended.

Puke.

I have often said that when my time comes, I'd like to come back as my own dog. But if THAT's the sort of thing that will float my boat, then noooooooooo thank you. Eewwk.

ETA: I don't even want to talk about the guy with the maggot brain. If I talk about it I'm sure it is gonna be in my dreams tonight. Ultimate gross.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has me totally fascinated.. for very different reasons.. and I am not sure I want to google what 'dead wool' is...

I was raised for the first 20 yrs of my life on a reasonably remote dairy farm. On this dairy farm, all kids were farm hands and all kids got in up to the arm pits in pretty much whatever was going, be it killings or birthings or milkings or whatever. I saw all manner of maggots in those days. But my parents sold out and us kids all went off to the 'city' to learn about real life as 'townies'.

Now days I look back at the things we used to do in every day life, skinning calves and tanning hides and I really do wonder if it really was me. I think you do what you gotta do when you gotta do it.

But do you ever wonder, maggots are one things, but is there anything more annoying that mossies??? That just about drives me insane.

Well I have tried to resist as long as possible with this thread, Hello to all this is Dova's OH

Let me tell you about the time when I was much younger and living at home with Mum & Dad on 3000 acres, now we being off the land have always only drank rain water, not that town stuff, thats bad for you! well Mum questioned that it was tasting funny, Me and Dad said Nah, our coffee tastes fine. this went on for a few weeks, until one day we also thought well maybe it is tasting a bit off? So i went to investigate thinking maybe a swallow might have tried to make a nest in it and the mud might be dropping in.

I wish :) when I climb up on top and stuck my head into the inspection hole for a bit of a squiz, thinking can't see anything, :rofl:

Just then the carcass of a dead cat which must have fell in, not one of ours so a wild cat floated pass with the body at water level and all around the edge was a big row of maggots, which looked like an old time viking ship with all the oarsmen rowing it along :laugh: Well I did say to Dad I think it's time for a new tank, so it was pushed over with the tractor and a new one put up soon after :o We didn't look in the other tank we used for the time being as we figured, if you don't know it can't hurt you, Hope you aren't having breakfast right now!!

Cheers all

Hi Dova's OH :vomit: ...... your story I think so far tops the "most gross" list :(.

Ya know what went through my mind though? All these things that we've done and experienced (and in your case, drank) and we're all ok and in good health (well, I presume and hope we are). And yet (in another thread) there's this thing where a Shire in WA has banned dogs going to street cafes (alfresco dining) because people eating might be subjected to a germy dog hair :hug: .

Kayann - I agree that the buzz of a mosquito is danged annoying. Coincidentally, I was only thinking this the other night, when I could here a mozzy doing its 'thing' somewhere around my bedroom as I was trying to drift off to sleep. And I started to think "if only they were quiet". But then I thought it was actually a good thing they do make that annoying buzzing noise, as at least with them you know when they are approaching. A quiet mozzy is usually the one who is busy biting.

I wonder if maggots would give me the same heebie jeebies as they do if they made a little buzzing noise ??? Perhaps it's the fact that they are squirmy, wriggly (and surprisingly fast when they want to travel) and ......................................... silent.

ETA: Dova's OH .... I have a vague recollection about something similar occuring to us when I was a little tacker. It involved a dead possum. But I don't think it was as gross as yours as I don't think there was the matter of maggots involved. At least, not so far as my Dad told me.

Edited by Erny

I wonder if maggots would give me the same heebie jeebies as they do if they made a little buzzing noise ??? Perhaps it's the fact that they are squirmy, wriggly (and surprisingly fast when they want to travel) and ......................................... silent[/i].

You didn't get close enough did you, erny? :rofl:

Well, if I listened, I did hear "mushy" sounds, but I really didn't want to post about that because even the thought of that noise was enough to make my stomach turn. A cold shudder creeps down my spine just as I type about this. Is that what you mean? You're not telling me they "buzz" are you? At least not until they hatch out into flies.

Bones are gone now, to the bin. Garbo day tomorrow, so they'll then be far, far away :rofl:.

Hope they're not "homing flies".

Edited by Erny

Yep, I meant the 'mushy' noise. :welcome: I think they need wings to make the buzzing sound but the disgusting little squirmers have to make the squirming, mushy noise. :)

We took the bins to the tip yesterday and I had squished down the rubbish after cleaning out the pantry. Unfortunately one consequence of forcing the bags in is that you can get a bag splitting at the bottom. There was "matter" at the bottom of one of the bins, and the matter was heaving with maggots and well, squishing. OH, who is usually pretty tuff, started dry heaving and backed away. I tried smashing the bin against the wall of the dump area to dislodge the matter and the maggots but it didn't work very well. After my third attempt at bashing the bin against the side of the dump area I lost my grip, and the bin sailed into the pile of rubbish. I decided on the spot that it wasn't worth $25 for me to walk into the dump to retrieve the bin and the stuck on squirming maggots and we returned home via the hardware shop and bought another bin.

Yes I know, we're effete urbanites still....

oh oh oh,

Had to tell you that I had my own maggot issue last night.

A really gross one that people should not even own up to...:(

The day before Xmas my meat supplier had large meaty bones on special so I bought a few bags (some to freeze)

I came home with the shopping and gave my inside girls their share of bones and pushed the bag aside telling my 20yo to take them outside for the GSDX.

I packed away the shopping then went back downtown to get last minute buys. I came home packed more stuff away, brought in the washing. Folded it up and left it on the kitchen table for the kids to grab theirs and pack it away.

When I began cooking tea my 20yo sons pile was still on the table so I pushed it to the side, up against the curtains.

Now we don't use the kitchen table much. It is usually full of school bags, work eskys, folding up and odds/ends. I only use the front part with everything else being pushed to the back near the curtains.

A few days later there was a smell in the kitchen. I got the kids to empty the bins and sprayed the bin cupboard with Glenn 20 and all was fine. A few days later the smell was back. Did the bins, sprayed and all was good. The next morning it was smelly again,,,so out with the bins, cleaned in all the cupboards/fridge looking for something off, then clean dog bowls and surrounds. Sprayed and everything was good. This continued until last night.

Again I was trying to find the source of the smell when I noticed it got worse when the wind blew. Thinking it might be something dead outside the window I pulled back the curtains to look outside and to my HORROR, there is the bag of dog bones from the day before Xmas!!!! The curtains had blown over and covered them and when my son finally went to take them out he thought I had already done it as he couldn't see them. Then I had pushed his folding up over, which inturn had pinned the curtains to the wall, stopping them from blowing and uncovering the bag of bones.

The bag was literally wriggling ON MY KITCHEN TABLE!!!!!!!! The smell was horrendous and there wasn't a stitch of meat left on anything. The bones were naked...

Needless to say everything from clothes to bags to curtains and eskies have all been scrubbed, the table cleaned off, washed and is now being sanded back and revarnished.

Thank gawd I didn't have anyone over for coffee and pull back the curtains to let the breeze in!!!

oh oh oh,

A really gross one that people should not even own up to... :(

The day before Xmas my meat supplier had large meaty bones on special so I bought a few bags (some to freeze)

I came home with the shopping and gave my inside girls their share of bones and pushed the bag aside telling my 20yo to take them outside for the GSDX.

I packed away the shopping then went back downtown to get last minute buys. I came home packed more stuff away, brought in the washing. Folded it up and left it on the kitchen table for the kids to grab theirs and pack it away.

When I began cooking tea my 20yo sons pile was still on the table so I pushed it to the side, up against the curtains.

Now we don't use the kitchen table much. It is usually full of school bags, work eskys, folding up and odds/ends. I only use the front part with everything else being pushed to the back near the curtains.

A few days later there was a smell in the kitchen. I got the kids to empty the bins and sprayed the bin cupboard with Glenn 20 and all was fine. A few days later the smell was back. Did the bins, sprayed and all was good. The next morning it was smelly again,,,so out with the bins, cleaned in all the cupboards/fridge looking for something off, then clean dog bowls and surrounds. Sprayed and everything was good. This continued until last night.

Again I was trying to find the source of the smell when I noticed it got worse when the wind blew. Thinking it might be something dead outside the window I pulled back the curtains to look outside and to my HORROR, there is the bag of dog bones from the day before Xmas!!!! The curtains had blown over and covered them and when my son finally went to take them out he thought I had already done it as he couldn't see them. Then I had pushed his folding up over, which inturn had pinned the curtains to the wall, stopping them from blowing and uncovering the bag of bones.

The bag was literally wriggling ON MY KITCHEN TABLE!!!!!!!! The smell was horrendous and there wasn't a stitch of meat left on anything. The bones were naked...

Needless to say everything from clothes to bags to curtains and eskies have all been scrubbed, the table cleaned off, washed and is now being sanded back and revarnished.

Thank gawd I didn't have anyone over for coffee and pull back the curtains to let the breeze in!!!

ewww. reminds me of the time our back freezer failed us. It's chockerblock full of kangaroo, goat, etc... just heaps and heaps of dog meat. WELL it failed us and we were not aware of it at all.. About a fortnight had passed and i kept finding this disgusting smell in the back area, and was contstantly cleaning around the freezer. I decided to open the freezer up and out gushed all this brown stinky mouldy water, it aws disgusting.. all over my legs and feet. and i vomitted into the freezer.. looked indie and saw nothing but bags moving and maggots EVERYWHERE. :)

oh oh oh,

ewww. reminds me of the time our back freezer failed us. It's chockerblock full of kangaroo, goat, etc... just heaps and heaps of dog meat. WELL it failed us and we were not aware of it at all.. About a fortnight had passed and i kept finding this disgusting smell in the back area, and was contstantly cleaning around the freezer. I decided to open the freezer up and out gushed all this brown stinky mouldy water, it aws disgusting.. all over my legs and feet. and i vomitted into the freezer.. looked indie and saw nothing but bags moving and maggots EVERYWHERE. :)

Oh gross gross gross gross. How do the flies get into the freezer to lay their eggs?

oh oh oh,

Oh gross gross gross gross. How do the flies get into the freezer to lay their eggs?

I truely have no idea. but it smelt SOOO bad. I remember vomitting my guts up and hosing down teh whole back area, the dogs thought it was fantastic and i recall dry reaching and heaveing while putting the dogs away from the sheer stench. sigh. it was feral.

ewww. reminds me of the time our back freezer failed us. It's chockerblock full of kangaroo, goat, etc... just heaps and heaps of dog meat. WELL it failed us and we were not aware of it at all.. About a fortnight had passed and i kept finding this disgusting smell in the back area, and was contstantly cleaning around the freezer. I decided to open the freezer up and out gushed all this brown stinky mouldy water, it aws disgusting.. all over my legs and feet. and i vomitted into the freezer.. looked indie and saw nothing but bags moving and maggots EVERYWHERE. :(

EEEWWWW, hahahahaha

My ex had a really weak stomach.

We lived on a block of land behind the chillers (place were people sold wild pigs/kangaroos that they had shot) sometimes if the chillers were full or if the pigs were too small, instead of taking them home, the people would throw them over the fence (into my side yard!!!)

My (at the time) 5yo daughter was really busy down the back one day so I called out and asked her what she was doing. She had a jar and told me she was collecting 'bugs'. It was common for her so I thought nothing of it until she came waltzing in with half a jar of maggots..

I told my hubby to go and see what was there.

Watching him out the window I knew something was wrong when he leant over the small (hip high) wire strand fence and vomited. Smiling to myself, knowing I should have checked I kept watching thinking it served him right for being a butt head earlier.

He was holding the wire to balance himself as he lent over and heaved again when he lost his footing. The wire gave way under him and he basically somersaulted over the fence...LOL not only did he land in his own vomit but right in the guts of a fly blown pig that had been dumped sometime in the middle of the night.

Ha ha, if that wasn't funny enough, he was so disgusted he jumped up running and began ripping of his clothes yelling for me to grab the hose. It was quite a sight seeing this big grown man squealing like a little girl, running around naked, kicking and screaming.

AAAHHHH, one of my fondest memories...

ewww. reminds me of the time our back freezer failed us. It's chockerblock full of kangaroo, goat, etc... just heaps and heaps of dog meat. WELL it failed us and we were not aware of it at all.. About a fortnight had passed and i kept finding this disgusting smell in the back area, and was contstantly cleaning around the freezer. I decided to open the freezer up and out gushed all this brown stinky mouldy water, it aws disgusting.. all over my legs and feet. and i vomitted into the freezer.. looked indie and saw nothing but bags moving and maggots EVERYWHERE. :(

EEEWWWW, hahahahaha

We lived on a block of land behind the chillers (place were people sold wild pigs/kangaroos that they had shot) sometimes if the chillers were full or if the pigs were too small, instead of taking them home, the people would throw them over the fence (into my side yard!!!)

My (at the time) 5yo daughter was really busy down the back one day so I called out and asked her what she was doing. She had a jar and told me she was collecting 'bugs'. It was common for her so I thought nothing of it until she came waltzing in with half a jar of maggots..

Watching him out the window I knew something was wrong when he leant over the small (hip high) wire strand fence and vomited. Smiling to myself, knowing I should have checked I kept watching thinking it served him right for being a butt head earlier.

He was holding the wire to balance himself as he lent over and heaved again when he lost his footing. The wire gave way under him and he basically somersaulted over the fence...LOL not only did he land in his own vomit but right in the guts of a fly blown pig that had been dumped sometime in the middle of the night.

Ha ha, if that wasn't funny enough, he was so disgusted he jumped up running and began ripping of his clothes yelling for me to grab the hose. It was quite a sight seeing this big grown man squealing like a little girl, running around naked, kicking and screaming.

THIS ACTUALLY MADE ME BURST OUT IN LAUGHTER at 1.23am... lol

EEEWWWW, hahahahaha

HAHAHAHA that does serve him right for being a butthead - thats karma :) great story!! keep them coming people!!

Oh Bonnie and Naomi,

It was golden!!!

Was even funnier later on when his mates came over and my 5yo went on to tell them ALL about it, doing all the actions and sound effects and EVERYTHING!!! She was running in a cirlce waving her hands above her head screaming and because everyone was laughing at her, it became her favourite story to tell everyone.

She even started showing everyone her jar of maggots as proof of her story,,,,hahahahahahaha