Fighting Puppies

kathryn2104

Hi there,

I have two male pug little mates that are 7 months old. i wasnt warned about getting litter mates until after I had actually got them. My breeder didnt mention anything about the possibility of fighting, and I honestly didnt think it would be a problem. Well, probably for the last two weeks, they have been fighting horribly. It used to be just play fighting, and very very occasionally one would get a little agro, and it would be over in a matter of seconds. This last two weeks though, they have been terrible. Its really nasty, high pitched screeching, and they bite each other and get up on their hind legs and fight from there too. They dont seem to hurt each other, just a few little nicks, but its happening more and more frequently and its just awful. It can go on for a full minute if we leave them to sort it out themselves, and then it will start again 5 mins later. And again. Over toys, or over nothing at all seemingly. Nothing we do seems to stop them either. I have tried ignoring them, spraying them with water, dragging them apart and putting the perpertrator outside, yelling, smacking, everything. It's like they cant even hear me. One is more dominant, but the other one sometimes has his turn, so i'm guessing they're trying to figure out whose boss. They are both getting castrated next week, and I am hoping that might alleviate some of the problems, but i am aware it might not. I would never consider rehoming one of them, I am just after some advice from anyone who has dealt with this before.

Thanks

What kind of training are you doing with the dogs? Whenever you have a multi dog household (i have 4, including 2 bitches similar in age) your leadership is even more important and regular training can certainly assist with that.

I would suggest getting a behaviourist to help you would be a good start. In the mean time, put them on leads and start doing some calm training exercises when you have the two of them together. How much exercise do they get? What do you do with them separately?

What kind of training are you doing with the dogs? Whenever you have a multi dog household (i have 4, including 2 bitches similar in age) your leadership is even more important and regular training can certainly assist with that.

I would suggest getting a behaviourist to help you would be a good start. In the mean time, put them on leads and start doing some calm training exercises when you have the two of them together. How much exercise do they get? What do you do with them separately?

they get walked morning and afternoon for about 30 mins each time. Not much training unfortunately :( and to be honest they are always together.... do you think I should walk them separately as a start? i'll definately look into the behaviourist, thanks for that.

Some separate training for them would be ideal- there are lots of things you can do too, doesn't have to be traditional obedience but something that turns their brain on with you and not with each other. I have a client with 3 pugs- 2 boys and training for them is so important to maintain a happy relationship- with their owner AND each other.

Whereabouts are you located? Someone can perhaps suggest a behaviourist for you.

Some separate training for them would be ideal- there are lots of things you can do too, doesn't have to be traditional obedience but something that turns their brain on with you and not with each other. I have a client with 3 pugs- 2 boys and training for them is so important to maintain a happy relationship- with their owner AND each other.

Whereabouts are you located? Someone can perhaps suggest a behaviourist for you.

well I just checked out your website and I have sent you an email to your underdog email :(

i'm at docklands. thanks so much for your advice too.

We sell litter mates often but we never sell the same sex.

Its time to put some training in & pay special attention to what the lead up is prior to a spat.Often you see the end result but dont always pay attention to the simple things that can start it & you can divert there attention.

You put so well why you should not get litter mates. I have only ever had 2 dogs 7 yrs apart but you still need to do things separately with them otherwise they could stress out when one is left behind. I think it could also be worse for those who have litter sisters. Look forward to hearing how you settle this problem & the outcome.

you need to desex them and start giving them some one on one time in order to get control over your dogs. As you see, you do not really exist to them they have bonded to each other and probably only see you humans as the source of food, toys and cuddles on demand.

With most puppies they will spend the first couple of weeks working out whats what, trying out the pack and then slipping themselves into the spot they see as theirs. You got two of obviously fairly similar personality and hence as they mature they spat (just like teenagers :D)

If you do not have crates, buy some ASAP. Also dont bother with the yelling and smacking you just razz them up even further. Separate quietly and put them away until they settle. Do not leave high value items or food about that they can fight over at the moment until a professional comes in.

I will be in Melbourne this week, CBD Tuesday afternoon/evening if you need a consultation. Apart from that I do go all over Vic for consults any time, I dont know about other people on the forum going to Docklands ;)

hi guys, thanks for your advice. i've started putting them in time out when they are fighting, outside but where we can see them, and what do you know? they stop fighting. if one is being the instigator and not backing down, i just put him out. they are both getting desexed on friday too. i will wait til they have healed and are back to 'normal' before getting a consultant in, but i think i will definately be needing one to learn how i can be the leader of my bratty little pack :rofl: