My Dog Is Really Restless And Wont Settle Down

vnv

She is getting her usual amount of walks, play, affection etc. She is eating and drinking normally. Yesterday afternoon I took her to the vet for her yearly vaccination and she got over-excited at the prospect of new people fussing over her. Her temperature was apparently almost 40 degrees, and after some water and 5 minutes of alone time to calm down it was still high so the vet didn't vaccinate her.

Today she chewed a big hole through the bed clothes while I was at work :rofl:

I took her for a walk, played with her in the back yard and did 15 minutes of training but she won't settle. She keeps making growly/grissly sounds, walking around, wanting to go outside and come straight back in again, then go outside again.

I don't know what's got into her :)

She is desexed and toileting okay.

I dont have anything I can take her temperature with. She isn't panting like she was at the vets yesterday.

eta: She is a staffy x and I think she is about 2.5 or 3 years. I got her from the pound 2 years ago.

The vet checked her over pretty thoroughly yesterday and her high temp was the only thing that seemed wrong, and the vet said it was probably just from stress/excitement.

Edited by vnv

... it was still high so the vet didn't vaccinate her.

Yay for your Vet :rofl:.

I'd have rested her for a couple of days if temp was up.

Is her body posture 'normal'? (eg. is she arching her back or anything like that, even if only slightly?)

I'd be slipping back to the Vet's tomorrow morning to ask them to check her temp again. (You can purchase a thermometer from the Chemist - let them know it is for a dog.)

When anything like this happens to any of mine, I don't hesitate to dose up on Active Manuka Honey (UMF +20 or higher). I always have some in stock in the pantry. It's handy.

Edited by Erny

My girl was very much like this yesterday but she was shaking her head and one ear was down and was very happy for ear rubs, so I'm guessing she was hurting there a bit and I couldn't get to the vet yesterday. I think she got water in it swimming earlier in the week. I ended up toileting her early last night and putting her to bed in her crate with a view to checking her out in the morning and then again after I got home from work. She's much quieter today and there is no head shaking or ear rubbing. But I'll still be keeping an eye out for her tomorrow and Sunday in case it flares up again and we'll be off to the vet if it does.

Her posture seems normal. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow to try to vaccinate again.

Could it possibly be psychological stress from going to the vet? She chewed through the bedclothes once before just after I had gone away for the weekend for work (a friend housesat).

Aaagh it's so scary, I wish dogs could talk.

She is getting her usual amount of walks, play, affection etc. She is eating and drinking normally. Yesterday afternoon I took her to the vet for her yearly vaccination and she got over-excited at the prospect of new people fussing over her. Her temperature was apparently almost 40 degrees, and after some water and 5 minutes of alone time to calm down it was still high so the vet didn't vaccinate her.

Today she chewed a big hole through the bed clothes while I was at work :D

I took her for a walk, played with her in the back yard and did 15 minutes of training but she won't settle. She keeps making growly/grissly sounds, walking around, wanting to go outside and come straight back in again, then go outside again.

I don't know what's got into her :laugh:

has she chewed through anything else??

May have a blockage. Sore gut.

She may have an infection somewhere.

White blood cell count will tell

Is she straining to go to the toliet?

stonebridge - infection or disease were the other options the vet mentioned for her high temperature, but I wanted to believe it was just excitement. I don't want her to be sick :D

She has had two stomach bugs in the time I have had her, but they had obvious symptoms.

She toileted normally on this afternoons walk.

She is laying quietly now, but I will watch her like a hawk tonight... vet appointment is at 9am tomorrow.

Her posture seems normal. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow to try to vaccinate again.

Could it possibly be psychological stress from going to the vet? She chewed through the bedclothes once before just after I had gone away for the weekend for work (a friend housesat).

Aaagh it's so scary, I wish dogs could talk.

If it were me, I'd be skipping the vaccination until well after your dog is back to normal. Mind you, if it were me, I'd be skipping the vaccination altogether.

I doubt that her restlessness, whining etc. would relate back to a Vet visit.

Is she has not been well today and is obviously in discomfort then please dont vaccinate just yet. Wait until you find out what is wrong. Hopefully you will. You should only be vaccinating healthy dogs and clearly she is not at the moment.

Edited by stonebridge

I told the vet about her behaviour last night - he checked her over and took her temperature again. It was normal and he couldn't see anything else wrong so he did vaccinate.

She seems better today, apart from the excitement of actually going out.

She is getting her usual amount of walks, play, affection etc. She is eating and drinking normally. Yesterday afternoon I took her to the vet for her yearly vaccination and she got over-excited... Her temperature was apparently almost 40 degrees, ...

I don't know what's got into her :(

Probably hot!