Macademia Tree.. Nut Problem..

lisat

We have a macademia nut tree that is now dropping huge amounts of nuts. The cockatoos are eating them and discarding the half eaten nuts for our two young labradors (5mths and 1 year) to chew on and eat them.. at the moment we have seen no side effects but know they are toxic and are watching out for signs.

We are trying to pick the nuts up but finding it very hard as it is a constant non stop job...

We want to keep the tree as it gives us great well needed shade. We would love to be able to sterilise the tree so that it stops producing nuts - is this possible????

Another thought was a net but it is a big tree so not sure if its the best way.

Any ideas on what we can do.. anyone also had this problem.

Lisa

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the sterising thing, but personally I would feel I had to remove the tree and find another form of shade until I grew a new tree. It's too risky..

(sorry, this is coming from experience with toxic poisoning from flowers, my girl is lucky to be with us)

Sorry guys,

not trying to hijack this thread but i hadn't heard that macadamia nuts were toxic to dogs.

Is this true of the whole nut or just shell/pulp?

We also have a macadamia tree and tho' I've not seen the dogs eat the nuts,one of our dogs loves the walnuts and is always finding them,cracking them and eating the flesh.She has taught the others to do this too,tho' she is the only one so keen on them.

Are walnuts safe?

We have not had any bad effects so far and she eats a lot when they fall.

The biggest problem with Macademia nuts is the risk of impaction if they swallow them whole, just the right size and shape.

We have removed quite a few at our clinic.

I would possibly enclose the tree in netting to catch the nuts.

The biggest problem with Macademia nuts is the risk of impaction if they swallow them whole, just the right size and shape.

We have removed quite a few at our clinic.

I would possibly enclose the tree in netting to catch the nuts.

Just bang in a circle of star pickets and ring the area from the trunk to just outside the dripline with wire fencing. We used ringlock, but any dog-proof wire would do. The barrier only needs to be about waist high.

Thus keep your tree with its welcome shade and aesthetics and also keep the birdies happy - and it gives the dogs hours of endless fun playing chasey "around the Mulberry bush" :(

About the sterilizing... have you approached your local DPI or perhaps put a call in to a University Science / Agriculture Department? or even a local Arborist? Might be worth a shot as even with fences or netting there will be some risk of nuts falling in reach and your dogs eating them.

As hard as it is to do, personally I'd suggest having the tree removed and replaced with something more appropriate.

Macadamias can lead to very sore joints in dogs - I've seen this in a labrador - usually wears off after 24-48 hours, but look for any sign they're in pain (off food, not getting up off bed) or looking sore/stiff in their movement.

Check out the trivia section of wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadamia

Vet info sheets http://www.cvah.com/article/MacaNutTox.html and http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2&aid=2411

I reckon sections off the whole area around the tree while it's dropping nuts. If the birds drop some outside of this area ti should still be a lot less they could ingest than without the restricted access.

From experience, it took a box of 12 macadamias (assuming she didnt share) stolen from a cupboard to leave my collie rough (about 26kgs) virtually unable to walk for a around 12 hours without physically being lifted and propped up. Onset was around 12 hours after she ate them. No vomiting or other symtoms.

My mums toller stole half a packet of Macademias off the coffee table (bless him NOT and bad mum for leaving them in reach of a red dog) - a few hours later he couldn't stand and had no strength in his his back end at all.

They rush him to the vet and then they worked out what the problem was. He was put on a drip and next day he was back to "normal" whatever that is......

Then a month ago the girl at work her dog was fed macademias you know one for you, one for the dog. Once again a few hours later he couldn't stand - so spent the night at the vet on a drip - $300 later and then next day he was walking normally.

Fencing off the tree would be the simplest and cheapest option. Putting up a net under the tree is a good solution but it restricts your access to the tree for mowing etc. The netting would need to be able to contain all of the nuts that fall and you would then need to collect and dispose of the nuts. Some olive growers use nets under their trees to harvest the olives so there are commercial products available to do this.

I would be a little concerned about using chemical products simply because they are a systemic product that needs to penetrate all parts of the tree and if your dog(s) was to ingest any part of the tree that had been treated there may be potential health problems for your dog.

I will be sure to keep a close eye on my dogs too,so far no signs of them touching them thankfuly!

Luckily our tree is only small and easily harvested.Now I'm aware of it I can avoid the problems too with the netting later down the track.

Thanks for the answers.

Has any one heard of anything similar with walnuts?

I dream of having a macadamia nut tree in my backyard! Shame they don't grow in Canberra. :laugh:

I'd go with the net option and watch for stray nuts dropped by birds.

It's good to know the effects of macadamia nut consumption are short term for dogs.