Dog Park Etiquette

huski

I will preface this by saying I rarely ever use dog parks, so this isn't really an issue for me. I'm curious to know what DOLers think in this situation.

Today on our walk I took Daisy into the dog park, as it wasn't busy and I actually knew the dogs in the park and knew they were friendly. Daisy really needed a run around a chance to have a bit of a scent. I had my treat pouch and training treats on me as we always find time for a training session on our walks. I thought while I'm here, I might try and do a bit of distraction work and call Daisy to me or ask her to get into heel position, really basic stuff.

But any time I called Daisy to me I would look down and have a group of 5-6 dogs around me, clambering for food.

A couple of dogs in particular would follow me around and harrass me for food by jumping/slobering/mouthing etc.

They were friendly, but I had to give up on trying to reward Daisy for anything or ask her for anything because I couldn't get the treats to her, as the other dogs would push in or push her out of the way.

So for those who use dog parks, do you find this behaviour ok? Is it accepted at your dog park that if someone comes in with food, all the dogs in the park will beg for some the entire time they are there? I do expect these things to happen at the park (among other things) which is why I rarely go in there. I would recall Daisy if she went to beg other people for food, but because I almost always have food on me, she doesn't tend to do that (execpt for donuts :thumbsup:).

I recall my girl from harassing anyone for anything unless they are freely giving it to her (ie cuddles and pats, if they're giving them then she's going to hang around as long as she's getting them!) but if they're NOT freely giving her what she's trying to harass them for (food or attention) then she gets recalled; I don't like dogs insistently asking me for anything, so i don't expect Paris to do that to others either. But yes, another reason why I also don't frequent dog parks!!

I have one dog park that I go to with my two as it is usually always the same dogs there so I feel pretty safe taking them there.

Like you I always have treats on me but I am fairly surrupticious about using them for that reason.

There are two beagles who frequent our park who always sniff out my treats quick smart :thumbsup: and will occasionally jump up and harrass me for one, but their owner is very good and calls them off immediately. Tbh it doesn't bother me, I just respond the way I would if they were my own dogs jumping up and harassing me for a treat - turn around and ignore - they soon give up. :)

I don't try to do any obedience at the dog park apart from recalls - and for recalls I make a point of going away from the pack and calling my dogs, so generally they come over and get the treat away from the other dogs. I haven't had too much of a problem.

But if other dogs did come running over I wouldn't really expect their owners to be able to recall them away from roast chicken, for example. Sure in an ideal world they would be able to, but I certainly don't go there thinking that will happen. That's just how dog parks are.

Macka, the begging didn't bother me so much apart from a couple of dogs who followed me around the park jumping/pushing me more or less the entire time. Their owners didn't attempt to call them away once.

If I see Daisy begging someone for food I recall her immediately. I would be mortified if she jumped up on someone for food or harrassed them consistently.

These dogs were friendly and I never go into a dog park expecting any of the dogs to be well behaved, because the reality is that many aren't. I was just curious if it is accepted in dog parks that if someone comes in with food, it's fair game for other dogs to beg for it.

I freely admit that selfishly it would be nice to be able to take my dog into the off leash to do some distraction training, but I'm a realist, so generally I'll train her on the other side of the fence :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

I personally think taking in treats to a dog park is a big no-no. You don't know what other dogs are in the park and if they are going to become aggressive over the appearance of food. My own dogs will most likely go and sit in front of the person who had food as that is a behaviour they know will earn them a treat. I can call them off but I more get annoyed that people bring food into the park to begin with. Even more so when people decide to have picnics in the dog park!

My girls know that "leave it" means stop begging for whatever and come here... *grin*

The only unfortunate thing about dog parks is some of the people who go there... no regard for other people or dogs - the park is there for free use, and they don't seem to understand that it would be a much nicer place if they gave their dogs at least some BASIC obedience.

The other side of the coin is the "park nazis" - those that expect every dog there to be a bloody robot and not play silly games like zoomies, etc...

T.

I don't allow my children to go to total strangers and ask for food and if they did (as toddlers it's common) I step in and redirect them...

I guess the same goes for dogs.. the owners should call them away or bring their own treats.

I still don't get why some dog owners allow their dogs to approach strangers and not be by their side the entire time.

I personally think taking in treats to a dog park is a big no-no. You don't know what other dogs are in the park and if they are going to become aggressive over the appearance of food. My own dogs will most likely go and sit in front of the person who had food as that is a behaviour they know will earn them a treat. I can call them off but I more get annoyed that people bring food into the park to begin with. Even more so when people decide to have picnics in the dog park!

Which is generally why I never use dog parks in the first place - because I don't trust owners or dogs I don't know. I do feel very strongly that if a dog is going to resource guard they shouldn't be there in the first place. I know my dog is not a resource guarder and does not display aggression over food.

I don't however think it's fair that dog parks can't be used by people who want to train with or play with their dogs. My dog knows that begging people for food doesn't work, because I am the only one who will reward her with food, I don't let other people treat her :laugh: I understand that other dogs aren't trained the same way, BUT I don't think it's appropriate to let your dog constantly harrass/jump/mouth another person for food irregardless of where you are.

I put the food away once I realised I had 6-7 dogs clambering around but on the other hand, dogs parks IMO are not just a free for all for people who want to let their dogs run around doing what they like - however I realise that the vast majority of people don't have effective control over their dogs which is why I generally don't use them.

Edited by huski

Did you tell these dogs off at all? Doesnt sound like they showed you any respect if they were trying to knock you down (dogs should always give people space - always or they are just asking for a hostile reaction from you). Now emus & kangaroos will crowd and try and knock you down but they arent household pets.

:laugh: Stevie will always sit very hard at the feet of anyone at the park with food. It's really bad when her drool reaches the ground. I can usually call her away, and always ask the person not to feed her or she'll never leave them alone. Most people respect that, but there are a few who have sneaked food to her - they thought I couldn't see them!

I dont give out treats to other dogs but on the occassions another dog has sniffed out my treats I have found the owners to be quick to recall them.

I guess I am lucky as at the off leash area I use most of the other dog owners try and do the right thing. I am pretty easy going though as long as people are well mannered and have some control over their dog I dont get too stressed out about these things

I'm with Poocow. If I go to a dog park (very rarely) I don't normally take the treats with me. I've had a bad experience with doing a recall and rewarding my dog only to have some idiots dog run and jump at my hand for the food. Didn't get me but was bloody close. I know you should be OK to treat train your dog when your there but it really is a risk to you and your dog.

I am also frustrated with people that bring squeaky toys and balls and then yell at everyone when they throw the ball and then there is a fight over the toy. It is just asking for trouble. Leave it for home or if your the only one there.

Some of the many reasons I get frustrated with dog parks, especially the tiny ones we have near us.

Did you tell these dogs off at all? Doesnt sound like they showed you any respect if they were trying to knock you down (dogs should always give people space - always or they are just asking for a hostile reaction from you). Now emus & kangaroos will crowd and try and knock you down but they arent household pets.

I mainly ignored them. I don't really feel like it was my place to correct them, although I did push one away when he pushed against me.

I'm with Poocow. If I go to a dog park (very rarely) I don't normally take the treats with me. I've had a bad experience with doing a recall and rewarding my dog only to have some idiots dog run and jump at my hand for the food. Didn't get me but was bloody close. I know you should be OK to treat train your dog when your there but it really is a risk to you and your dog.

I am also frustrated with people that bring squeaky toys and balls and then yell at everyone when they throw the ball and then there is a fight over the toy. It is just asking for trouble. Leave it for home or if your the only one there.

Some of the many reasons I get frustrated with dog parks, especially the tiny ones we have near us.

Yes and that's the reason I so rarely use them (apart from DOL meets). The only reason I went in today was because it wasn't busy and the only people in there were people who I knew and whose dogs I knew (bar a couple of dogs I haven't met before, but who I watched from the other side of the fence for 5-10 minutes before going in - and yes the particularly naughty dogs were the ones I didn't know).

It would be nice to be able to use the dog park for something other than a free for all, to practice recalls etc, but like I said earlier I am a realist so I wasn't surprised by what happened today.

Yeah its why I only go to my dog park where I know the dogs and the people. And now that I have moved its once in a blue moon as I am often showing and can't get there...or when I can the Moo decides to come into season :laugh:

I wasn't implying my dogs resource guard but I do know one Mal at my dog park does get tetchy when food is involved. Plus Darcy is most definitely not allowed treats!!! My poor friend nearly got tackled by me when he thought he was innocently giving Darcy one of his own dogs treats...poor guy felt so bad he thought he was being nice!

I don't give my dogs food treats as a reward so haven't taken dog treats into the park. There is a cafe where I used to go walking but don't now but I know they serve things for dogs and give treats. It can cause problems if dogs are food aggressive so I don't think it is a good idea to be serving food or drinks up like that anyhow. Just my personal opinion. I would be expecting if you took treats down and dogs knew about them then of course the food orientated dogs would be there with bells and whistles on.

I find dog parks can be good but the opposite can also apply. I used to go to a good one in Leichhardt/Haberfield in Sydney. Then they put a cafe in there called Cafe Bones and it became a nightmare after that. Sometimes I've counted over 60 dogs in there but that was a while ago.

Before the cafe you could peacefully walk your dogs and generally people had them under control. Or at least had some dog sense to know when to put them on leads. Then came the cafe and then more and more people came including some with absolutely no idea on how to read a dog's body language. Many a time I had to tell someone would they mind putting their aggressive dog on the lead. I've heard a couple of dogs have died down there because of an attack and some have been seriously injured.

Generally I think they are a good idea but just the sheer volumes of people walking their dogs in one place I suppose it is only a matter of time before things can go wrong.

But unfortunately more and more people are moving into Sydney so I can imagine places like these will only get more crowded year after year and therefore result in more problems.

So for those who use dog parks, do you find this behaviour ok? Is it accepted at your dog park that if someone comes in with food, all the dogs in the park will beg for some the entire time they are there? I do expect these things to happen at the park (among other things) which is why I rarely go in there. I would recall Daisy if she went to beg other people for food, but because I almost always have food on me, she doesn't tend to do that (execpt for donuts :laugh:).

To be honest, I think it's pretty funny to have five dogs lined up in sits in front of me and only two of them being mine. And it tells me I'm in the company of people that at least ask their dogs to sit before giving them a treat, which makes me happy. But we don't often have problems. The odd dog that has discovered we have treat pouches full of food and try to stick their noses in it or jump on us, but hey, we're dog lovers and the owners always call their dogs away if they start doing that. We train our dogs in the dog park every time we go and have never had to stop because of a sticky beak wanting food. Toys are a different matter and I have had to put away toys to avert disaster. Kivi will sit for other people if they have food they are trying to give to their dogs, and I guess normally we would call him away, but usually we get asked if he can have some because no one can resist a dog that sits so politely instead. :laugh:

I don't think it is accepted at the park we go to that if you turn up with food you will be mobbed the whole time. Most dogs will come away when called, or at least most owners can and do distract them if you want to train. I did talk to a fellow today who had stopped bringing food because he'd end up with half a dozen dogs gathered around him, but we didn't have any trouble.

I've never seen a fight break out in our park over food. Toys, yes.