Sometimes, People Do Listen!

FranVT

I had a friend who told me a while ago that she had her name down with all the pet shops for a pug when they "come in" (like they're bloody boxes of cereal or something). I explained my views on pet shops, and on BYBs (she was scouring the paper as well), and explained about ethical breeding and registered breeders and the support she would (should) get from a breeder for the life of her pup.

She was a bit disheartened at the price I told her she'd be looking at for a pup, but I did tell her that a pet shop would not be much less, probably more.

She is an animal lover, but a very headstrong girl so I was pretty sure that she would just ignore everything I said in the quest for a pug. I also told her about the (very limited knowledge that I have) problems that pugs can have, and told her to make sure she at least called a registered breeder to have a chat, or at least do as much research as possible online or with local owners etc. I also told her about rescue.

She posted on a forum that I administrate in the "things that make you happy" thread - "I get my new puppy Monday week! I am so excited!". :) I took a deep breath and PMed her, congratulating her and asking all about the pup.

To my delight, she said that a friend of her grandmother had a pug puppy (purebred) bought for her for Christmas (by a well meaning relative) but she felt that she was not up to looking after a puppy. Amelia offered to take the puppy on (as well as all the breeders details, papers, certificates everything) for the price of desexing (was a breeder condition).

She is frantically getting ready for her puppy's arrival and making sure her house and yard are up to scratch and buying all the things she's going to need.

A small victory, but a victory nonetheless I feel. Perhaps you guys won't agree. Knowing this girl, I feel this is a good outcome. :)

Thats fantastic!!

When my best friend was looking for a pup i thought that she would go to a BYBer, because of all my ranting on about papers and breeders etc etc which seemed to bore everyone i spoke to about it when on the topic of puppies. Turns out she took on everyword and got a purebred beagle from a registered breeder with papers and everything! Was very exciting :)

Argh I know! I didn't say that though! You never know, maybe the person didn't tell the breeder it was for a gift?

If the person never mentioned that the dog was a gift, either the breeder didn't ask enough questions, or because they knew that if they said that, the breeder wouldn't give them a pup.

I had a friend who told me a while ago that she had her name down with all the pet shops for a pug when they "come in" (like they're bloody boxes of cereal or something).

Bit O/T, but that expression jarred on me, too. Was in a local petshop which sells puppies (had to be for a certain item). Assistant asked what kind of dog I owned. I said, 'Tibetan Spaniel.' Her face lit up...'You'll be pleased to know that we've got some puppies, Tibetan Spaniel cross Chihuahua 'coming in'.

It was like a designer muesli, or something, arriving in a truck.

Pleased? I told her that, like Queen Victoria, I was not amused! And why!

So I'd say your victory was a big one! :)

Edited by mita

Well done!!! I tried to do the same thing with my SIL when she was looking for a puppy, but se really didn't get it at all, and kept saying, "i don;t want a fancy dog from a breeder...it;s only a pet"....ended up with 2 BYB pups and have had problems.

Yeah I said to her it's not about the BYBers having "good intentions", she said "they aren't monsters they love their dogs" and I said "of course! But can they show you that the parents are healthy? and that the grandparents were healthy? Have they health tested them" etc.

UPDATE :) :) She just texted me saying she wants to do Puppy Pre-School with Luuka and I and asking how much and when does it start!!! :D :birthday: :birthday: :birthday::):(:hug: This is a girl who would not have even dreamt of it with her last dog.