Hot Spots

I have a dog that will develop hot spots if fed lamb. I suspected it for a while and removed all lamb from the diet for a couple of months and then reintroduced it. Basically got a hot spot the next day.

They are limited to the neck only and easily treated.

Cut a long story short, I fed chicken mince yesterday and the dog has a hot spot coming up today. Could it be a higher level of fat that's in the lamb flaps and the chicken mince that is causing it, rather then the actual lamb itself ?

Thoughts ?

Hi there, i'm not able to shed any light on you dogs hot spot problems unfortunately, but i will be interested to hear if anyone else can - my 2 dogs have been itching, pretty much since the start of summer, and have been getting hot spots on and off. I have treated them both for fleas, but that doesnt seem to help. I am wondering, like your dog, if it is food allergies? I feed my dogs raw chicken, lamb and beef. It seems unlikely though, that 2 unrelated dogs (one is a labrador, one is a golden retriever) would both be allergic to what i am feeding them?

They swim at the beach every day, so perhaps it is the salt water irritating them? But they swam through winter too, and didnt have any problems then????

I just have no idea.... and i really dont want to have to take them into the vet for any more courses of antibiotics and cortisone - it cant be good for a dog! they are both young - one is 1 and a half, the other 9 months :laugh:

Hi there guys

The most common cause of Hot Spots is if the skin has been broken in some way - flea/mozzie bite, scratching or chewing by dog at skin due to other allergies etc. Here are a couple of websites that will help explain more!

http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3383

http://www.pets.ca/articles/dog-hot-spots.htm

Also just for your interests sake - there are thousands of remedies that people suggest, but I have found two that work particularly well on my Atopic boy - betadine wash and pad dry then curash powder - but even better than that is slightly dilluted pyohex shampoo to wash the area and pad until conpletely dry with paper towel.

Best of luck with those horrible buggers!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

There's always the possibility that she stole a piece of lamb flap off someone else, but I feed seperate, to avoid these things.

I treat with the same malaseb solution that I use for cleaning ears and it works fine.

I might do what I've done with the lamb and not feed her any chicken mince for a couple of months and then see if I can induce a break out with a feed.

I have never seen hot spots caused by meet in my dog. I just know that some dogs are allergic to chicken skin (runny poo) because it has too much fat. So you are supposed to introduce it slowly into the diet...

But Tealc's skin looks awful at this time of the year as soon as he has some fun in the grass... His grass allergy gets better when I take him to the beach afterwards. So for him the saltwater seems to make things better.

@loulouB: Does it cause your dogs discomfort? Because if not I wouldn't take them to the vet to get medication either...

I have never seen hot spots caused by meet in my dog. I just know that some dogs are allergic to chicken skin (runny poo) because it has too much fat. So you are supposed to introduce it slowly into the diet...

But Tealc's skin looks awful at this time of the year as soon as he has some fun in the grass... His grass allergy gets better when I take him to the beach afterwards. So for him the saltwater seems to make things better.

@loulouB: Does it cause your dogs discomfort? Because if not I wouldn't take them to the vet to get medication either...

Teal'c - it only causes them discomfort in that they are scratching, niblling or licking themselves all the time. It must be annoying for them.. they are still happy dogs though. i definitely wont taken them to the vet again unless it gets really bad. i will try some of the mentioned home remedies and see how they go... thanks!

Hmmn.. they do like to roll in grass a lot - perhaps that is it...

SBT123- Good luck with your process of elimination to determine what your dog is allergic to!

There's always the possibility that she stole a piece of lamb flap off someone else, but I feed seperate, to avoid these things.

I treat with the same malaseb solution that I use for cleaning ears and it works fine.

I might do what I've done with the lamb and not feed her any chicken mince for a couple of months and then see if I can induce a break out with a feed.

I would try the elimination of Chicken as well as it could be what make her scratch and thus once she has scratch hard enough to break the skin bacteria gets in there and starts a hot spot going.

Loulou - Do you dry your dogs thoroughly once they have had a swim in summer? See double coated dogs trap humidity under a damp coat which is an excellent breeding ground for bacteria.

I would try the elimination of Chicken as well as it could be what make her scratch and thus once she has scratch hard enough to break the skin bacteria gets in there and starts a hot spot going.

Loulou - Do you dry your dogs thoroughly once they have had a swim in summer? See double coated dogs trap humidity under a damp coat which is an excellent breeding ground for bacteria.

I towel dry them as much as i can, but they still remain pretty damp for awhile - maybe that is contributing to the problem?

It's not chicken, as the majority of her diet is chicken. She hasn't broken out on anything but lamb and remains hot spot free unless I feed her lamb.

This is the first one she's had and the only thing that changed was the mince, which I don't normally feed. It was quite fatty and she is always fed a lean meat diet as she puts on weight just looking at food, hence why i asked the question about the possibilty of higher fat content leading to hot spots.

I will also try lean lamb and see if I can provoke a reaction from that.

I treat the itches with malaseb and then wipe some pyohex on their feet before going for a walk. And if it's already inflammed I bathe it in lukewarm chamomile tea until the redness/inflammation as gone down before washing with malaseb (cos it can be a bit harsh on inflammed skin).

Stevie's had two hot spots this summer, the first time ever. They're horrible :thumbsup:

She's on mostly raw/BARF patty diet, plus Royal Canin Lab dry sometimes. Very little wheat product. Mostly chicken meat, but sometimes beef and/or lamb. All low-fat. Both of her hot spots are likely to be related to her fur/skin being wet for an extended period on very hot days - a couple of weeks before Christmas, and then last week after we'd been to the beach a few days in a row. Both these times though also coincided with more dry meals than usual.

First time through, we spent heaps at the vet - cortisone, antibiotics, Gentocin spray, shaving, scrubbing off the spot a few times a day with dilute Isocol. It cleared up eventually, and her fur is growing back ok.

This time we were on holidays so started with Neocourt cream, then Curash, as we had them handy. Since we got home she's mainly had the Gentocin spray. It's not getting better though, so I tried Curash again last night but today it's gone all gunky/lumpy, and the sore is still weeping. Should I rub it with dilute Isocol again before more Curash? We haven't had it shaved this time.

I don't think Jodie's helping by licking at it, though at least this latest hot spot doesn't seem to be causing actual pain like the first one.

Warley I'm very interested to hear how you go with the diet for your dog. Stevie's ear problems cleared up almost perfectly once we changed to the mainly raw/BARF diet, but I might try taking out the lamb component and see if it makes a difference!

• 4 months later...

My dog was groomed and got a few little spots like a rash from it on his face. He's scratched it and not allowed it to heal and now I've been told it's probably a hot spot. I'm bathing it in salt water and using betadine.

Has anyone had to get antibiotics for their dog for hot spots before? I'm just not sure if I need to take him to the vet or if it will clear up by itself.

I had a Pug that developed hotspots within a couple of hours of eating any proteins she was found to be allergic to. Given that diet related allergies are protein based, I would say it is the protein and not the fat content that is affecting the dog perhaps.