Is It Okay To Let A Pup Eat Custard?

Norskgra

I normally feed my nursing mothers a custard/pudding each day to ensure they have enough milk. The girls all love it.

A couple of days ago, I gave Tyra hers and left the room for a couple of minutes. When I came back, I found our now 3 weeks old pup, Faith at the bowl eating some of the custard.

Today, she kept barking at Tyra because Tyra was moving the bowl away from her so that Faith couldn't get any. Faith seems to really want some of it. Would it be okay to let her have a small amount? We started feeding her a small amount of mince yesterday and she ate most of it by herself. I wouldn't normally consider letting Faith have some but she is so determined that she wants it. :eek:

The custard/pudding consists of the following:

2/3 cup sugar

6 tablespoons cornflour

1/2 teas salt

1 can evaporated milk plus water to make up to 1 litre

4 egg yolks

3 teas vanilla.

This normally makes enough for 4 meals for my girls.

Edited by Norskgra

I'd just be making her a plain egg yolk & milk mix, I don't think the salt & vanilla would be good for her.

perhaps cook it for a minute in the microwave so its a slushy version of scrambled eggs.

fifi

Also, from what you are saying about Faith, sounds like she is really ready for meals now, I'd be starting her on whatever you normally wean them on - she's letting you know she is ready - and feisty !!!! :-)))

fifi

Well it wont kill them but Cornflour can cause constipation, which you would notice in mum, bit harder with 3 week pups until you see them straining. The concentration of flour is more for their little bodies too.

Sugar not needed. Vanilla harmless so persephones suggestion of egg nog sounds a good idea.

Sounds like the little piggy is ready for some food :D

I normally feed my nursing mothers a custard/pudding each day to ensure they have enough milk. The girls all love it.

A couple of days ago, I gave Tyra hers and left the room for a couple of minutes. When I came back, I found our now 3 weeks old pup, Faith at the bowl eating some of the custard.

Today, she kept barking at Tyra because Tyra was moving the bowl away from her so that Faith couldn't get any. Faith seems to really want some of it. Would it be okay to let her have a small amount? We started feeding her a small amount of mince yesterday and she ate most of it by herself. I wouldn't normally consider letting Faith have some but she is so determined that she wants it. :o

2/3 cup sugar

6 tablespoons cornflour

1/2 teas salt

4 egg yolks

3 teas vanilla.

Why all the sugar and cornflour?

Thanks everyone.

Also, from what you are saying about Faith, sounds like she is really ready for meals now, I'd be starting her on whatever you normally wean them on - she's letting you know she is ready - and feisty !!!! :-)))

fifi

Thanks Fifi. We started her yesterday on some human grade beef mince with a bit of yoghurt. I put a couple of little pieces in her mouth and she ate the rest by herself. I have juct got home from work but apparently she nearly took my daughters fingers off eating her mince and yoghurt tonight. Faith wasn't happy when it was finished and wanted more. :o She is a real little pig.

I will mix up some egg and milk for her when Tyra has her custard. That might keep her happy for a few seconds. :thumbsup:

ETA - I have some Wombaroo so will make it up on that.

Edited by Norskgra

Today, she kept barking at Tyra because Tyra was moving the bowl away from her so that Faith couldn't get any. Faith seems to really want some of it. Would it be okay to let her have a small amount? We started feeding her a small amount of mince yesterday and she ate most of it by herself. I wouldn't normally consider letting Faith have some but she is so determined that she wants it. :o

2/3 cup sugar

6 tablespoons cornflour

1/2 teas salt

4 egg yolks

3 teas vanilla.

That was the recipe that was on DOL. I am pretty sure it was originally posted by Dianne.

Today, she kept barking at Tyra because Tyra was moving the bowl away from her so that Faith couldn't get any. Faith seems to really want some of it. Would it be okay to let her have a small amount? We started feeding her a small amount of mince yesterday and she ate most of it by herself. I wouldn't normally consider letting Faith have some but she is so determined that she wants it. :(

2/3 cup sugar

6 tablespoons cornflour

1/2 teas salt

4 egg yolks

3 teas vanilla.

That was the recipe that was on DOL. I am pretty sure it was originally posted by Dianne.

I dont think I would have sugar cornflour or vanilla - it would look and smell yummy for humans but thats a lot of wasted carbs.

It would be great for puppies without it.I let my puppies eat anything their Mums eat when ever they are ready.

Today, she kept barking at Tyra because Tyra was moving the bowl away from her so that Faith couldn't get any. Faith seems to really want some of it. Would it be okay to let her have a small amount? We started feeding her a small amount of mince yesterday and she ate most of it by herself. I wouldn't normally consider letting Faith have some but she is so determined that she wants it. :(

2/3 cup sugar

6 tablespoons cornflour

1/2 teas salt

4 egg yolks

3 teas vanilla.

I dont think I would have sugar cornflour or vanilla - it would look and smell yummy for humans but thats a lot of wasted carbs.

It would be great for puppies without it.I let my puppies eat anything their Mums eat when ever they are ready.

Thanks Steve. I will make up a bigger batch of the milk and egg and give that to Tyra as well.

ETA - Would you give Faith mix it with a whole egg or just the yolk?

Edited by Norskgra

Oakway, we use lots of milk & yoghurt here, as do my mentors.

all of the dogs have been raised with it extensivley and have no problems with digestion.

fifi

I just never feed bitches or babies milk. I just don't see the point in it.

However I have no problems if other breeders wish to use it.

I also never feed pups slops for their first meal. I always use mince.

Then onto chicken mince. However I always soften dryfood with a little water

and add it to the mince. By the time they are on chicken mince I just add the dry food.

I also never feed pups, puppy dry food, they go straight onto adult.

I have never had a problem with doing this.

Cheers.