Thoughts On Business Cards

jrm88

So I am still fairly new to photography, but I want to get more practice with other people/animals. I have designed two business cards to give out to people who might want photos taken of their pets/children. I wont be charging any money as I really am just after practice. Just wanted your thoughts on my designs!

Now I am more looking after advice on the layout and the actual card, not what is written at this stage. Thanks!

post-21285-1263812874_thumb.jpg

post-21285-1263812904_thumb.jpg

I am a big believer of selling your product or showcasing it is a better word. So my vote is for the first too. If you were in SA you would be welcome to practice by taking photos of my crew from horses, camels, birds of prey to domestic pets - no shortage of volunteers here. Well done and congratulations

I do like the clean look of the second one, but the graphics could mean anything at first glance (breeder, pet groomer, vet, pet shop...)

I think the 1st one, or any example of your photography, would show off your skills and make your card more noticeable from the pile of cards many people amass.

Thanks guys, I was thinking the first one to for the same reason, I need to find a dog though I think to photograph and use on the business card as that is what I mainly want to photograph. Thanks :thumbsup:

I would consider a slightly thicker text for the first card as it kinda blends out a bit (it is hard to read it without clicking on the picture and seeing it full size, where as I can read the second one without expanding it

both have pros and cons but I would consider the one with the photo. I would consider a photo of a dog, horse or cat as I think that they are the more popular photo subjects so more likely to attract someones eye.

Just my thoughts any how =]

*DOH just re read your last post about looking for a dog picture, yes good idea =]

Edited by altheau

I would print double sided and not have the text interfering with your image at all.

I think that currently the typography is not sympathetic to your photo and clashes, which brings down the quality of your shot.

Whirlwind print do cheap, good quality short runs of business cards.

I would suggest, full colour image one side, and 1 colour (black) with all your text and info on the otherside.

An opinion on a business card is like critiquing someone's favourite photograph. It's a very personal thing. The photo backgrounds look good initially, but sometimes defeat their purpose if the wording is not crystal clear against the busy background. For myself, if I am looking at a business card I don't want pictures or cartoons or even cleverly designed logos: just the details I need professionally clear and readable, black text on a white card is fine.

If the business name is not the person's name, I also prefer the name of the person I will be ringing made clear. I think my point is that if they don't know the name of the person they are calling, and can't read the phone number easily, they are not as likely to ring. Your black and white draft is good, smarter than a small photo.

Vistaprint are doing free biz cards as a promo at the moment. Double-sided printing on them if you prefer it is a few dollars, delivery is a few dollars. You can design your own from scratch using your own images, photos or logo, or use their templates as a starting point so it's easy.

Thanks for the input Possum, im actually looking at Vistaprint now and will most likely go with them, very cheap compared to all the other websites I have looked at. Thanks for your thoughts, have taken them onboard :thumbsup:

Just an add-on for Vistaprint. They are only a medium, like workman-like quality, not high or extra-fine quality. Turnaround is about two weeks: the last lot of stuff I ordered through them came from Holland. I'd expected it from USA, I don't think they print in Australia now, but possibly New Zealand. Oh and after you 'join up' to order something you will get endless emails from them advertising specials, but it's always handy to know what they can do.

Like others here - for an animal photographer i would go for the photo card - perhaps just your Business name and phone number on front.

Perhaps clean black and white details on reverse side.

As a suggestion - your business name of Unleashed is great - perhaps a photo of a dog running full pelt stretched out would really set you apart from others - rather than just a cute dog head.

Good luck with your venture

Oh! I completely forgot Moo!

High quality neat little photo cards with your details on the back, you just upload your photo(s) to their site and use their template.

Plus you can have more than one image in your batch.

So, for example, instead of having 100 cards with your birdie image, you can have 40 cards with the birdie, 40 cards with a dog and 20 of a flower!

Moo Cards

They are specifically targeted at photographers and they link with your flickr account.

Check out the Moo Group on Flickr

Samples from the Flickr group

4206576342_6e3afacd0e.jpg

Thanks heaps for all the ideas, it is really appreciated. I loved the name Unleashed Photography as I think it suits my idea of photography very well (my fav shots are always doggies running/playing/'freedom'). I will definately have a look at Moo as well, thanks!

Moo cards are good and a perfect option for photographers... you can let a potential client choose the photo that appeals to them most.

The other option (that we use) is to have no photo at all.

This is because as soon as you put a photo on a card, it becomes a representation of EVERYTHING about you and your style. People will look at it and judge you by that single image. (and yes, we have been there and done that and it's true.)

So either go the 'moo' option with lots of different choices OR don't have an image at all.

Also - when you are portfolio building NEVER EVER charge $0. Even if you charge $10 for your time and simply charge cost for your products, ALWAYS put a price on it. People don't value your work and your effort if YOU don't value your work and your effort.

If you are very serious about starting out with child/animal photography, send me a PM and I can direct you to a private Flickr group that is all for people who are starting a child photography business in Australia. It covers all the nitty gritty including the ins and outs of portfolio building.

If they're aimed at photographers why aren't they 2:3 ratio :( Great idea, but stupid long narrow size. Vistaprint sizes are like that too, is it a US thing?

erm, no: it's an awesome thing! pfft you photographers are so precious: Oh nose! Don't crop my delicate images!! :rofl:

(says the designer :rofl: )

LOL for the record, not all photographers use 2:3 ratios either :(

I love the Moo cards - very individual, nice quality, super fun and you can have like 100 different shots or just a few or just one. And easy to change next time.

Sigh, I really need to get working on my own cards as I detest my current ones...