Microchipping

sobraon park

hi there

just wonderin what other breeders out there do about when they have there pups microchipped, who's name do you fill the forms out in, and then how do you go about getting the owners to transfer them over.

just wanting to know other breeders way of doing it all.

Edited by sobraon park

All puppies are chipped into my name when I have them done, when puppy owners come to collect their pup, they sign the transfer of owner form for the microchip and I send it off (and I generally send each from that letter off at once) to council...

This way I know it's done and then they'll receive the required paperwork to register puppy with their local council.

Edited by Aziah

hi there

just wonderin what other breeders out there do about when they have there pups microchipped, who's name do you fill the forms out in, and then how do you go about getting the owners to transfer them over.

we are not legally obliged to get ours done where we are but i beleive that all dogs should be done for many reasons.

Just on that point, you are now

Guest Doglady0419
All puppies are chipped into my name when I have them done, when puppy owners come to collect their pup, they sign the transfer of owner form for the microchip and I send it off (and I generally send each from that letter off at once) to council...

This way I know it's done and then they'll receive the required paperwork to register puppy with their local council.

Same goes here!!

You as a breeder are supplied with paperwork for all pups microchipped....the microchipper (vet) submits documentation to the registering body and you are given forms for each individual pup for the new owner to transfer the pup into their names.....the breeder sends off the signed transfer form.....

I generally keep a copy for myself....

hi there

we are not legally obliged to get ours done where we are but i beleive that all dogs should be done for many reasons.

oh i was told still in QLD we didn't have to as yet

Same goes here!!

You as a breeder are supplied with paperwork for all pups microchipped....the microchipper (vet) submits documentation to the registering body and you are given forms for each individual pup for the new owner to transfer the pup into their names.....the breeder sends off the signed transfer form.....

I generally keep a copy for myself....

so do we just pay the microchipping cost and the new owners pay the transfer cost

hi there

I'm sure that a QLD breeder will correct me if I'm wrong but compulsary chipping was introcued some time last year from memory

hi there

I'm sure that a QLD breeder will correct me if I'm wrong but compulsary chipping was introcued some time last year from memory

yes i did just find out that thanks so much this is my first litter since then so was unsure, would have had them done anyway. thanks. what age do you get them done at with there 6wk vac or is it to young. i have labs.

Guest Doglady0419
hi there

I was told recently that QLD are not permitted to microchip prior to 8 weeks of age......My answer to that was "I don't live in QLD so mine get done for Ophthamology and DNA testing ASAP"

I do it a bit differently and it seems to have worked well...

I have had the pups micro-chipped from 8 weeks when their new homes are definite and then I have them chipped in the new owners name and give them the paperwork with the puppy pack when pup is collected. My vet suggested doing it that way and so far, so good.

I do it a bit differently and it seems to have worked well...

I have had the pups micro-chipped from 8 weeks when their new homes are definite and then I have them chipped in the new owners name and give them the paperwork with the puppy pack when pup is collected. My vet suggested doing it that way and so far, so good.

yes that is a good idea normally by then they are all booked and ready for there homes. i all ready have some sold and they are only 2wks old so prob should just put the ones that are sold in the new owners names.

I put them all in my name when they are chipped and then get the new owners to fill out the CA3 (Change of Ownership) form when they pick up pup, then I take it into my local council. I also keep a copy for myself.

For puppies that are being transported to their new owners. I send the form in the puppy pack along with an addressed, stamped envelope and instructions to fill in their bit on the form and send it back to me. All have so far.

If you are in NSW and chip the puppies into your name ( as most breeders do , unless they have puppies going to definate homes ) , then you as the breeder are responsible under the CAA to make sure that the change of ownership is completed and lodged with your council with 14 days.

There are still many who do not know that this is the case, so I just thought I'd pop that in here for any new breeders in NSW

You can chip pups in Qld at 6 wks now if you want - another change as they realised that reg breeders needed earlier chipping for health testing purposes.

My current litter have been chipped at 7 weeks and if I had purchasers lined up, the papers went straight into their name. HOWEVER - you have to know the council area and full address/ph no. details for the new owners.

Pups are chipped in our names here and given the CARs form to fill out when they are sold. Chipping is done just before first shots and not at the same time as I beleive that it is too stressful to undergo both proceedures. (meaning i feel that the shots are harder on the immune system re: stress, than the chipping)

I used to chip and/or tattoo about 5-6 weeks on average depending on what else was lined up (remember, I used to crop ears so wanted to get ID done prior to this proceedure) Size of dog doesn't matter when it comes to chipping....I've chipped 6 week chihuahua's in the past....no big deal.

I just had my litter done at just over 6 1/2 weeks old.

I didnt have the new owners details with me, so I rang the vet back, they filled out the form and posted me copies out for each of the new owners of the pups.

All they basically wanted was name, address, phone, mobile, email etc....and a 2nd contact number. I gave mine as 2nd contact, and they said the new owner will be able to change the details over the internet.

Note: I did ring some vets who were adamant that they would not chip a pup under 8 weeks of age....but found out that vets can do it now and that some vets need to perhaps acquaint themselves with the new updates and changes to the microchipping laws. (also prices some of them wanted were a bit :) )

We chip at 8 weeks when we do the first vacc.

Same here. I think if you are listed first as the breeder that will also remain on the history so hopefully the dog can be traced back to you if it ever needs to be

The first litter I had done the vet kept a copy of the registration form and gave me a photocopy which was put into the puppy packages with a stamped envelope to be posted back to the vet. In one case, one person didn't post it back within a reasonable timeframe so we went ahead and registered the chip in my name and the transfer was done at a later date.

The second litter I had the details of the purchasers on hand so they were just filled in with me as second contact.

The third litter, there was only one puppy and she is staying so she is chipped in my name.

The last one, they are chipped in my name and I will post transfer forms to the new owners with my name as second contact.