What Colour Would U Call This Apbt

N@Dog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont mind it, it does look good one some dogs, like doberman pinchners and few others but, if ear cropping were legal here in AUS and i could get it done to my Amstaff (if i had one, this is a hypothetic situation) i probley wouldnt, the history (correct me if im wrong :S ) is they cropped them so other dogs in the fighting ring could not bight them off (causing the dog pain and probley loose) as this is no longer a problem i dont see how there is much pointm other than tradition and show ring reason's, i dont see why people should crop Amstaff and APBT ears, each to there own i guess, BUT some do look gourgeous like this guy, no doubt...... his a stunner!

I think it was more for aesthetics, otherwise wouldn't it be best to crop the entire outer ear off???

N@Dog you can import cropped dogs, what age you can import depending on the country, paperwork, quarentine etc so speak to Customs/AQIS.

Most cropping is done at 8-12 weeks of age when the ear is strong enough to hold the shape (with some help) there is more to cropping then just whacking off an ear. Bit of an art and I dont have an issue with it.

and im taking it a prong is that massive collar thing that red APBT (the one i put up) is wearing? it is quit huge, id never put on on my dog

Oh there;s nothing wrong with prongs, it just seems to be a fashion to put a hideously oversized one around your pitbulls neck ... first it was truck chains and padlocks now this :laugh: why do some owners have to be such bogans

yea chocker chain (sorry mental plank on the proper name) are ok, but i think anything else like a prong or padlock is just as you said, Bogan and stupid. lol

cheers for ya help

oh

on mpre question, my mate has owned APBT's in the past and now ownes Amstaff's, he said that if u own a dog with cropped ears itl get taken away (even if it has papers saying its and Amstaff and the cropping was done in USA and was imported in etc) is this true? or is it only illegal to crop here but ya can own a dog with croped ears?

My State: South Australia

Bogan is such a good word really. It just fits :laugh:

lmao it is isnt it.

I think it was more for aesthetics, otherwise wouldn't it be best to crop the entire outer ear off???

um maybe dude, im not 100% its just what i herd and what i read doing a bit of research but im sure theres probebly more than one 'traditional' reason, but what you said would make sence.

I say chocolate brown.. I have a Great Dane and no way would i crop her ears, It adds to the whole dopey face.. I dont see the point of croppin any dogs ears. If they were ment to stand up they would be born that way (unless of course it was for a medical reason) ... Just my opinion thou, hope i dont offend anyone

:laugh:

um maybe dude, im not 100% its just what i herd and what i read doing a bit of research but im sure theres probebly more than one 'traditional' reason, but what you said would make sence.

Only because tradionally dogs left out to fight on their own

where appearance isnt much of a consideration

have their entire outer ear cropped off.

proper ear crop was that nearly all was removed to prevent damage. Different crops for different jobs. CAOs have them removed for weather reasons and prevent damage/infection is it not Lilli? Dobes etc their crop now is fairly different to what they used to look like.

Now it does have some function, I'd rather a traditional crop/dock if the dog was working

Lovely colour, but how exactly do they crop ears? I assume surgically shape the ear and re-stitch it? Is that correct?

ears are cropped under anaesthetic before they're 12 weeks old. Basically the ear is cut into the desire shape/size (varies from breed to breed, as well as personal differences) usually from very close to the side of the head, up to the tip of the ear, or less. the edges are stitched or can be glued, and they're put into a 'brace' of some style to keep them erect while they heal. Stitches removed after a week or so like usual, but the brace stays on as the dog grows until they stay up by themselves. Dogs with bigger ears (like dobes & danes) might need the brace on for a couple of months until they're standing properly alone!

Gimmie natural ears any day!!! I'm so glad it's been illegal here for so long. I'm on the fence for docking/dew claws (it's done fast at a few days old), but I certainly don't like docking (which takes so long to finish, while the pup is much older!)

I think the cropped ears on Dobes, Danes, Boxers (especially Boxers), look absolutely ridiculous. But although I don't agree with the operation (I feel it's uneccesarry risk with anaesthesia), I don't mind the look of dogs like the AmStaffs, Neo Mastiffs etc where they are cropped short. I just thing the looooong thin ears look stoopid & not at all noble or intelligent. The old Dobe crop was nicer...