Pet Insurance Question....

Beth.

Hi All!!

I was just wondering who out there has pet insurance, and do you think it's worth it?? The vet has some small worries about my girls hips :laugh::cry: :D :):) which is soooo upsetting me!!! We're really hoping it's nothing, but we're starting to look into it. Anyway, I was wondering, I don't have pet insurance yet, but i'm thinking it's probably going to be a good idea to get some soon.... What's everyones opinions on it???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about your dogs hips, but if it is pre-existing no-one will touch it.

I have my dogs, Newfoundlands, in Medibank Private. Mine are healthy sofar and have no pre-existing conditions. I pay $52.00 per month for the three of them. But I pay the first $500.00 on a event, but only once per dog. I only have my dogs in a fund just in case they require big Ortho Surgery or have to have major Surgery, not for the regular stuff........I can always scrape the $500.00. But a $12,000- $15,000 bill would be beyond me. It gives me some peace of mind.

Someone i know had a bilateral hips done on their GSD..All paid for by Medibank, except the first $500.00.

So yes it is worth it. I chose the $500.00 Gap, sothat the monthly payment was reduced.

They won't pay out for pre existing conditions.

Thanks for the replies!! Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case - I don't know if it's a pre-existing condition as there is no documentation of it yet - she's 16 weeks old and just at our vaccination she just mentioned that she was a little stiff and something to watch for in the future (there's been no testing or anything yet). It's just that I gave my vet a ring today to discuss a couple things with her and this came up again (a couple times when she's been playing she goes lame in her back leg), and she said to leave it for the next few weeks and xrays will be done when she gets desexed at about 6 months.

Thanks again for the replies.

Oh, and it's probably nothing and i'm just being overprotective!!!! (thats what i'm hoping anyway!!!)

If it has only been mentioned and not noted or diagnosed than no, it's not a pre-existing condition.

If I was in your situation I would be getting insurance NOW - as in today :cry: Most companies will pay accident cover immediately (after the first 24 hours of cover) BUT for illness it's usually a month. So if something crops up in that first month it is a pre-existing condition.

When you submit your first claim you will be asked for a copy of your dogs full medical history, this is how the company determines if the condition is 'pre-existing' or not. There is also a claim form which your vet needs to fill out and sign.

I have insurance through PIA and wouldn't be without it :laugh:

If it has only been mentioned and not noted or diagnosed than no, it's not a pre-existing condition.

Although be careful - I had a bit of a time over something being mentioned, proven it wasn't, yet it caused a hiccup in my claim for something else.

Edited by Erny

Hmmm, this is something I may look into. I know that the Medibank Private one is quite good, a friend has it and find their claims speedy & easy. And it covers her 100% at the vet, vaccinations, etc. She has a no excess policy. Not sure how much it costs though.

I'm going to look into for Max, for peace of mind.

Although be careful - I had a bit of a time over something being mentioned, proven it wasn't, yet it caused a hiccup in my claim for something else.

When I said 'mentioned' I meant breifly mentioned verbally Erny. If it has been mentioned in notes or discussed as a possible cause of an issue (even if later proven otherwise) then I can see how it would cause a problem :mad

I know that when my vet does a call back anything that is discussed is noted down in the animals history...

Beth- See if your vet can give you a print out of your dogs history and go from there :(

Thanks again everyone for your replies!!! I'll have a chat to my vet and see if she can print out Lottie's history and go from there :mad I think it sounds like it would be a good idea for me to get some out anyways....

Beth

Speak to your breeder before getting xrays and things done. They may have some advice on which vets to see.

Absolutely :mad Agree x 1000000!

SOME vets, not saying all, can "trick" or mislead puppy owners into thinking that their pup needs all sorts of xrays/tests/whatever done when in fact they really don't.

This is probably a bit different to a puppy, but the vet always mentions that our dog has "stiff hips" and when we first got him (as a 3 year old) he did seem a bit sore after lots of running. We put him on Joint Guard as a precaution and he hasn't had any issues or soreness in the past two years.

I had the same prob with my Dane puppy, she cut her leg so we got her stitched up and while doing a check over the vet "mentioned" (was put in her notes) her lymfnoids were swollen.. I got insurance the next day just incase and have been informed by the Insurance company it will be tricky to get any claims processed that relate to her lymnoids.. It turned out that she was allergic to my soap powder... Still wouldnt go without it... My girls are accident prone and it has come in really handy.. Im with Medibank, only took 2 weeks for claim to be finalised and have the cheque in my hand... Well worth it..

:mad