Need Advice On Staffy Male Littermates

FD26

No, we weren't. I was just wondering why you'd said even if we got only one to have them desexed.

Basically to protect him. The thought of my beloved family pet ending up in a fighting pit is beyond horrifying. :curtsey:

Sorry, let me reiterate. Why would you think that a dog *I* owned be in any danger because he's not desexed? I found your comment insulting, was my point.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good on you for sticking around FD26 - and for making a tough decision. :curtsey: I don't think you'll regret it in the long run.

Check out the Stafford thread in dog breeds 101 - lots of good info on health testing and other things an ethical breeder will be doing.

I've read heaps of it already! (Been lurking for awhile now). It's been really tricky to find a good breeder though. You think you're asking all the right questions, and then something comes up...or you just get "that feeling". It doesn't help that being in NT we have to look interstate. Not to mention there seems to be a lot of conflicting info around about staffies lol.

Edited to add: We've found a breeder though, and I'm smitten with her. She seemed to have all the right answers AND ask all the right questions. So, we're now expecting our (one) pup in the beginning of March. :heart:

Edited by FD26

Sorry, let me reiterate. Why would you think that a dog *I* owned be in any danger because he's not desexed? I found your comment insulting, was my point.

Because unless you live in Fort Knox and have a 24 hour body guard for your dog, he's at risk of theft!!

Entire male Staffords disappear from family homes all over Australia on a regular basis.. stolen for fighting rings. Where's the insult in me pointing out that entire, your dog is at a higher degree of risk of theft? :curtsey:

People get followed home from walking their dogs.. and their dogs are gone. :heart:

Edited by poodlefan

You'll find that a large percentage of people here are in favour of desexing pets, its not to insult potential owners, but a culture of minimising unwanted litters ect.

fifi

Which is understandable. I have two very happy desexed cats, and I'd be up in arms if someone wasn't going to desex theirs. It was just how it came across..

Because unless you live in Fort Knox and have a 24 hour body guard for your dog, he's at risk of theft!!

Entire male Staffords disappear from family homes all over Australia on a regular basis.. stolen for fighting rings. Where's the insult in me pointing out that entire, your dog is at a higher degree of risk of theft? :curtsey:

People get followed home from walking their dogs.. and their dogs are gone. :heart:

Ah. I see. I'm not immune, but our pup won't be outside on his own at all...it will be a virtual fort knox, simply because of how we lost our last guy. We've turned very paranoid! Sorry if I took what you were saying the wrong way, then...

even if we got only one to have them desexed.

IMO- if a 9 yr old is to be handling the pup/dog.. a desexed male would be less trouble in the long run :curtsey:

Even if you have a dog with the sweetest calmest temperament in the world- another entire male will perhaps get a whiff of male , and start an argument with your dog....

Plus, you don't have that awful smelly dog pee everywhere! :heart:

We've found a breeder though, and I'm smitten with her. She seemed to have all the right answers AND ask all the right questions. So, we're now expecting our (one) pup in the beginning of March.

:heart:

Good for you- you stuck with us and all our 'bludgeoning' :sleep:!! :curtsey:

..and now we will be annoying you for photos of your new little one in March!! Congratulations!

IMO- if a 9 yr old is to be handling the pup/dog.. a desexed male would be less trouble in the long run :curtsey:

Even if you have a dog with the sweetest calmest temperament in the world- another entire male will perhaps get a whiff of male , and start an argument with your dog....

We'll see. If it were a cat I would desex it in a heartbeat. But, because I've fallen in love with staffies I would like to spend some time considering breeding. If down the line we decide we're not interested or that he's not suitable we will have him desexed then.

I have no experience with littermates or the stafford breed, but in terms of getting 2 puppies at the same time I think you made the right choice by getting one and possibly another down the track.

we got our 2 pups 6 weeks apart, somewhat naively, and it is bloody hard work!

we love both our dogs and there is not one moment i regret getting them, but having 2 energetic, exciteable, playful and naughty pups at the same time was hard!

training is hard, walks are done seperately to practice loose lead walking.

things are starting to come together now, but there were times there that i thought we must have been crazy :curtsey:

whilst not regretting having our 2 dogs, i wouldnt get 2 pups at the same time again.

glad you have found a breeder you are happy with :heart:

We'll see. If it were a cat I would desex it in a heartbeat. But, because I've fallen in love with staffies I would like to spend some time considering breeding. If down the line we decide we're not interested or that he's not suitable we will have him desexed then.

If you're buying a pup for breeding, he'll need to be on Main Register and you'd better tell the breeder! You should be thinking about showing him too!

Edited by poodlefan

Plus, you don't have that awful smelly dog pee everywhere! :sleep:

If you're buying a pup for breeding, he'll need to be on Main Register and you'd better tell the breeder! You should be thinking about showing him too!

Yep. :heart: I've looked into it all. We've spent about 4 weeks learning as much as we can about what to look for, and the details before we got the pup. I would show him before I bred him if I decide to go that route, as I think that would prove whether he's worthy to be bred.

I think that was one of the reasons it was so hard to let go of these two - I feel like I've been looking night and day for ages, so to finally find what we're looking for it was hard to let go!

Edited by FD26

We've found a breeder though, and I'm smitten with her. She seemed to have all the right answers AND ask all the right questions. So, we're now expecting our (one) pup in the beginning of March.

:sleep:

Good for you- you stuck with us and all our 'bludgeoning' :sleep:!! :curtsey:

..and now we will be annoying you for photos of your new little one in March!! Congratulations!

Haha, like I said, I have a "determined" spirit lol. I'll be more than obliged to send a gazzilion pictures! :heart::wave:

Yep. :curtsey: I've looked into it all. We've spent about 4 weeks learning as much as we can about what to look for, and the details before we got the pup. I would show him before I bred him if I decide to go that route, as I think that would prove whether he's worthy to be bred.

I think that was one of the reasons it was so hard to let go of these two - I feel like I've been looking night and day for ages, so to finally find what we're looking for it was hard to let go!

A lot of people wait months or even years for the right pup.. and most will tell you the wait is worth it. :heart:

Yep. :curtsey: I've looked into it all. We've spent about 4 weeks learning as much as we can about what to look for, and the details before we got the pup. I would show him before I bred him if I decide to go that route, as I think that would prove whether he's worthy to be bred.

A lot of people wait months or even years for the right pup.. and most will tell you the wait is worth it. :heart:

Yes, we did before. It's been a big process for us here though, after losing our dog. Full of lots of emotion about whether or not we were ready..and the sheer quietness of the house. Anyone who has cats will know what I mean when I say they're great...but they're no dog lol.

FD26, you obviously are for real! One puppy at a time is a much nicer way to go. You get to learn the personality of your pup before adding another and can make a much more informed choice. I am not really a fan of puppies - they are something you suffer through to get a dog. And two dogs that are mates is one of the best things ever. I hate having a dog on it's own, they are so much happier with company providing it isn't combative.

Good luck with it all.

Sue

And, of course, photos are compulsory.

Attached my youngsters enjoying each other's company.

post-30656-1264073694_thumb.jpg

post-30656-1264073745_thumb.jpg